Oil Temp gauge sender placement >

Oil Temp gauge sender placement

Notices

Oil Temp gauge sender placement

Old 07-22-2004, 07:17 AM
Registered

Received 89 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Oil Temp gauge sender placement

Where do I put the sender for an oil temp gauge? What oil temp should I be seeing? Before or after cooler. There is some ports in the remote oil filter base and I could disconnect the hoses and find out which is which.
Old 07-22-2004, 12:58 PM
merlin540

Default Re: Oil Temp gauge sender placement

put it in your oil filter adapter and you should see about 210 after getting it warm and this is about right put your filter before the oil cooler

Old 07-22-2004, 07:38 PM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The oil filter adapter is about the easiest place to locate a sending unit. It measures the oil temp right out of the motor so it is going to be within a degree or two of the temp of the oil in the pan. Oil temps should be at least 210* at cruise to boil off moisture in the oil and no more than 250* max after a long WOT run. I don't like to see anything over 240* myself.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:54 AM
Registered

Question Re: Oil Temp gauge sender placement

Originally Posted by MACDAD260
The oil filter adapter is about the easiest place to locate a sending unit. It measures the oil temp right out of the motor.
Interesting!, After reading this thread I hobbled ( crashed off-road race car) out to the shop to check my oiling system on my Merc SC600! Now I have been confused and wrong before, so shout out if my crash effected my brain! My oil line exiting the block flows through the oil-cooler first then to the remote oil filter housing then to back to the engine! I am assuming that the center inlet connected to the engine is cool filtered oil into the engine. therefor if I installed the temp sender in the remote filter I would read the temp of oil going to the engine? I would assume that I would want the filtered oil to be as close to the engine as possible, less chance of debris from anything up steam like the cooler!? any ideas? My other engine is plumbed the same way. FYI

Bryan
Old 07-24-2004, 06:49 AM
Charter Member #818
Charter Member

The center hole in the oil filter pad is the return to the engine so it sounds logical that your system is set up so the oil goes through the cooler first, then the filter and then back to the engine. That is bass-ackwards from my set up. My oil comes out of the off-center hole in the adapter on the block, to the remote filter, then to the cooler and then back to the center hole of the block adapter. I am getting hot oil to the filter and to the oil temp sending unit. That is the way the stock system was setup on the engine, too. I know that Merc does some odd things but, apparently things that work. I was always told that to make the oil cooling system work efficiently you needed to avoid 90* bends if possible and to use at least 5/8" lines and fittings. Recently however, I have seen an HP575SCi and a HP525 on the floor at a marine repair shop and noticed that the oil cooler lines are 1/2" and ALL the fittings are 90*.