XR + imco OR XR + sportmaster? >

XR + imco OR XR + sportmaster?

Notices

XR + imco OR XR + sportmaster?

Old 07-29-2004, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XR + imco OR XR + sportmaster?

so which is the better combination for durability, speed, handling, longevity, pro's and con's of each.. etc etc etc???

Just takin notes for an upcoming project...

JR
Old 07-29-2004, 09:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: XR + imco OR XR + sportmaster?

If you start getting serious data in a comparison add Konrad to the list. There info is very interesting. I have liked what I have seen to date. Definately would be interesting data to know.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:49 AM
Registered

If you have a hi x dimension go with the extreme it has a longer pad on it. I was having a hell of a time getting on plain with Bravo drives on my 28 Daytona. Installed the extreme's and she comes right up now but again I have box's and a real hi x dimension.
Old 07-30-2004, 10:17 AM
Registered

need more parameters to have an opinion.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:16 AM
Registered

18 Donzi classic hull... round keel, 2 strakes per side, inner ends 18 inches from transom roughly. 24* of deadrise... fairly healthy sbc... around 2800 lbs total weight with gear, driver, etc etc etc... stock X (14 1/2 inches) + 1 inch up (maybe 2 if i feel froggy when laying it out)... so a 2 inch imco shortie would act as 3 inches higher than stock, etc... the alpha SS works like gold on the 18 hull and is 3 inches shorter than a regular alpha...

my specific question i reckon is if you have a choice between the imco shortie or the merc sportmaster which one is better performance wise.. what are the main differences... i'm am pretty set on the XR upper... we'll be 525 crank hp or less.. mid 5000's for WOT

JR
Old 07-30-2004, 11:25 AM
Registered

would use XZ gears...longer life on a small boat w/low tq/hp...measure your x from the bottom to center of propshaft...the dim. u gave means nothing really....as for the lower that is dependent on x-dim and top speed.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Cat-n-Around
If you have a hi x dimension go with the extreme it has a longer pad on it. I was having a hell of a time getting on plain with Bravo drives on my 28 Daytona. Installed the extreme's and she comes right up now but again I have box's and a real hi x dimension.
Cat-n-Around- What kind of power are you running in your 28? I also have a 28 TD with twin 496 HO's and I'm always interested to hear what other guys have done to make the best gains on this particular boat. Did you add the boxes? If not, what kind of gains were achieved by adding them along with the extremes? I don't have either. I'm looking for ideas for this winter. The guy I bought the boat from still has a set of prochargers that he was going to put on it. He estimated the prochargers 3.5 psi would net about 110 mph the way it sits, just diff props. That's roughly a 17-18 mph gain. That's it.
Attached Thumbnails XR + imco OR XR + sportmaster?-side-front.jpg   XR + imco OR XR + sportmaster?-side-rear.jpg  
Old 08-01-2004, 05:43 PM
Registered

Harper I also Have a 28 Daytona twin hp 500's. You are getting 92-93 mph with 496ho's ? That is pretty dam good. What props are you running and at what rpms ? I am curios to see. What year is your rig ? Looks sweet in the photos.
Old 08-01-2004, 06:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by NJDave
Harper I also Have a 28 Daytona twin hp 500's. You are getting 92-93 mph with 496ho's ? That is pretty dam good. What props are you running and at what rpms ? I am curios to see. What year is your rig ? Looks sweet in the photos.
I'm running 30p Bravo I's at about 4800 rpm and it's a 2001. I'd like a little more punch under the hatch. I've been reading up on the raylar heads or supercharging. I just hate to loose reliability though. I've been having a problem with one ot the motors heating up. Actually it's the port exhaust manifold, it shuts the motor down at 212 degs. Don't know if I have a water flow restriction or a bad sea pump. I'll have to dig into it this week.