Dirty Drive Oil >

Dirty Drive Oil

Notices

Dirty Drive Oil

Old 08-30-2004, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Dirty Drive Oil

I checked the drive oil in the resevoir yesterday and it looks dirty. I changed the oil 6 hours ago but the port oil looks like it has a little black mixed in. The starboard drive oil looks clean, like I just changed it. I've pulled the lower plug on the drive and I don't get any water out - any ideas why this oil would be looking dirty after just changing it?
Old 08-30-2004, 05:55 PM
Registered

Default Re: Dirty Drive Oil

No one has ANY ideas?? That has to be a first!
Old 08-30-2004, 06:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Dirty Drive Oil

Originally Posted by splashandburn
I checked the drive oil in the resevoir yesterday and it looks dirty. I changed the oil 6 hours ago but the port oil looks like it has a little black mixed in. The starboard drive oil looks clean, like I just changed it. I've pulled the lower plug on the drive and I don't get any water out - any ideas why this oil would be looking dirty after just changing it?
What drive lube are you running?

Here is what Merc says:

"Check the dipstick. If the fluid looks milky (indicating water) or dirty, drain and add fresh fluid".

If it's dirty it has to go. Then you have to ask why? Maybe it's overheating. Do you have a drive shower? Switch to a synthetic lube that handles heat better possibly as well.
Old 08-30-2004, 07:39 PM
Registered

Default Re: Dirty Drive Oil

Originally Posted by Hydrocruiser
What drive lube are you running?

Here is what Merc says:

"Check the dipstick. If the fluid looks milky (indicating water) or dirty, drain and add fresh fluid".

If it's dirty it has to go. Then you have to ask why? Maybe it's overheating. Do you have a drive shower? Switch to a synthetic lube that handles heat better possibly as well.

I'm running XZ Drives with Merc High Performance lube. There are no "dip tubes" just the resevoirs. The level in the resevoirs on both of the drives does not change much - I may add a small amount every 4-5 hours but that's it. No drive showers but no sign of them overheating either - (re: water deposits, etc.) The boat has 150 hours on it and has not been aired out much at all or run really hard. I just changed out the drive lube tonight and it has some black in it but still has the "Merc greenish blue" color mixed in with it. The other drive looks like the lube is right out of the bottle. When I drained it out I checked very closely for water when I first opens the drain and there was none. No metal on either of the magnets either. I have a long trip planned for this weekend and am just a bit concerned. What elese could this be from and why only the one drive?? Thanks for any help that you guys can give.