Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock) >

Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock)

Notices

Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock)

Old 09-13-2004, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Re: Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock)

Fixed it yesterday! We'll kinda

Figured out that the starter relay switch had in deed gone bad. Replaced it, and the boat started right up. Went to the lake and rode around for about 2 hours and when I put it back on the trailer and tried to start it back up and nothing. I went home and put the test light back on the starter relay switch and same problem had occured.

NOW I've gotten so aggravated that I put in the shop this morning. Let them figure it out! All I can figure is that it has some sort of short in one of the wires that keeps killing the relay.
Old 09-14-2004, 08:01 AM
Registered

Default Re: Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock)

Got it out of the shop yesterday.
The shop owner told me that there was a known issue about these going bad. He said he had about 10-15 customers that were having the same problem. He said it's just a faulty part.

Has anyone heard of any known issues about these parts?

He replaced the part and sent me on my way, with a $103.00 bill to pay for about 2 minutes work, and what do ya know!?! I go to the lake and it's fine for the first 3 or 4 starts, then the relay dies again!!

Seems like once the motor gets hot is when it kills the relay.
Someone please HELP!!!!
Old 09-14-2004, 09:20 AM
Registered

powerb, are you sure the relay is bad? Move the wires around on it while someone is trying to turn it over. After I replaced the relay on mine, the next thing that started causing a similar problem was that the leads going to the relay had corroded/oxidized under the wire making for bad connection. Check that, if it trys to turn over when moving the leads to it, cut off the connectors, peel the wire back. If it appears green or black (corrosion/oxidation) clean the wire off good and put a new connector on. Let us know how you make out.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:20 PM
Registered

Good suggestion alcor!
I'll try that when I get home tonight.
Although, if I use a wire and bypass the relay, it starts right up. I know it has to be something simple. Just having trouble finding out what it is.
Old 09-14-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bang on the starter with a hammer. It will start everytime and get you out of trouble. Replace the starter soon though because this trick won't work forever. The reason it started for you was because you jarred it around before you installed it again. If you hit it with a hammer (don't put a hole in it) then it will start. I promise NO NEED TO MESS WITH WIRES.

Roby
Old 09-14-2004, 12:43 PM
Registered

Not suggesting he re-wire, simply check for a few corroded or oxidized connections in the circuit, takes about 10 minutes and costs nothing. As for the jumper across the relay, if it still doesn't turn over then he knows it's not just the relay. Just $.02 from a guy who hates to spend money unless he knows it's broke.
Old 09-14-2004, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry alcor I wasn't pouncing on your post. I have just seen too many people install a hotshot relay because of a faulty starter. of course you should be sure there are no corroded connections. The problem lies inside his starter. There are soot from the brushes that build up in the stator and it will act as insulation preventing the starter from getting power. fortunately this soot is very brittle and it will break down and fall off with vibration. (hence the hammer trick) eventually this does get bad enough that no contact can be made on the stator and the starter will be shot.

Roby
Old 09-14-2004, 01:50 PM
Registered

No offense taken robyw1. That's the only bad thing about threads, you can't hear the voice behind it. I didn't know that about starters; I'll remember it, could come in handy one day out on the water.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:11 PM
HeavyChevSS

I had a problem with relay before, went through about 3 in a year then last one has been fine for couple of years. But now that I said that it will probably take a dump.. If it is build up inside the starter do they make any type of electrical cleaner?

Old 09-14-2004, 05:12 PM
HeavyChevSS

Also think relay was under $25.00?

Quick Reply: Engine doesn't start. (454 MAG Stock)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.