Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Valves Collide with Pistons .... >

Valves Collide with Pistons ....

Notices

Valves Collide with Pistons ....

Old 10-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Valves Collide with Pistons ....

I would agree with all of these guys, the problem is in the cyl. heads, exaust manifolds. Guides are causing valves to stick. Could be because water is getting to the head causing corrosion. These are old engines, exposed to salt water for a long time. Taking apart the bottom ends will just cost a lot of money.
Old 10-01-2004, 01:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Patriyacht has a good point! I would never imagine in a million years the design of a stock riser would cause a problem. Took me a few weeks to figure it out after changing intake,exhaust gaskets... pressure testing this/that. Came close to winterizing the boat in July!
Old 10-02-2004, 08:40 AM
Registered

My father in law boats around Long Island. His boat sits in the water all summer. After 3 years, he had to replace the exhaust manifolds. They were already leaking. It makes you wonder how long the rest of the engine will last.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:22 AM
Registered

Offthefront, did you check the valveguide to valvestem clearence. I've heard of valveguides cracking also.
Old 10-03-2004, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

head shop inspected the heads ...replaced 2 valves and all exhaust seats ...they will have to go back this week ..I am sure we find something else ...
Old 10-04-2004, 06:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been watching the two threads on this situation and have to admit that it's a bit of a muddle. The worst situation is that after 25 hrs, the valves are hitting the pistons of what should be a very mildly built motor. Sorry, but I don't think the problem is in the bottom end. Nor do I think a stuck valve or reversion caused the valves to hit the pistons. The way us old timers used to check valve to piston clearance with high compression (domed pistons) was to put the pistons at TDC with the valves fully open and check the clearance. This way, you could float the valves or have a timing chain let go and not grenade the motor. Obviously, the valves shouldn't be full open with the pistons at TDC unless something unnatural happened. I'm puzzled as to how a relatively low compression motor cold have valves in several cylinders stick full open and hit the pistons. Having said that, the many folks here that know more than me can enlighten me. Moving on, this is supposedly a Jasper long block. Is it a maranized long block? What's the cam and it's Lobe Separation (LSA)? Sounds like reversion or water getting into the cylinders (risers) could be another problem. I believe Offthefront said it ran fine on the hose until he took the boat out on the water. Were the exhaust manifolds pressure checked? Without seeing the motor as it was disassembled it's hard to comment further, but the valves hitting the pistons in several cylinders really puzzles me. Keep us posted. Lou
Old 10-04-2004, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

ok .. first time only one valve hit piston ...the other was stuck open but did not contact the piston ...this time its the same piston ..same valve ....the other side seems ok ...I went by the shop today and they showed me the lifter and you can see where the pushrod has walked around in the lifter ....so either the lifter is not pumping up or spring tension bad or bad adjustment ? I dont know ....If I knew .. I would be doing the repair and not them ...
Old 10-04-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered

If the valve is sticking, the push rod would bounce around because there is no spring pressure on it. That is not your problem.
Old 10-04-2004, 11:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike-- Patri Yacht is correct. If the valve is stuck in the guide partially open, there will be play in the pushrod until the cam tries to open the valve further. Then something's got to give which would show as a chewed up seat in the lifter. What you're describing is the result of your problem and not the cause as he suggests. If water is getting in the cylinders, it would explain warped/stuck valves. It does not explain the valves hitting the piston. I know this is frustrating not to mention expensive. We've all been there and are just trying to help.
Old 10-04-2004, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Offthefront, as I said in one of my post. I have the 365 mag's and the aftermarket risers made no differance w/the old cam. As soon as I changed to a new cam (same spec) I had problems with water. It was plain to see with the bore scope I was having a problem with water in the exhaust. And yes, the stem of the valves were pretty rusty by just running the garden hose thru the engine. This was driving me up a f'in wall. The design of the riser was at fault.

Quick Reply: Valves Collide with Pistons ....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.