Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems

Notices

Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems

Old 09-18-2004, 11:01 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts
Default Re: Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems

Brian,i can't tell you much about the zf,they rarely fail and when they do i order a re-manned one. The differential failure your refering to in the limited slip isn't clutch chattering when turning sharp is it? Sometimes a rearend is serviced w/synthetic oil and people mistakenly assume it has limited slip modifiers,IT DOSEN"T,and after a while they develop a jerking,tire squawking,thumping noise refered to as chattering when turning sharp on dry pavement or after running down the highway a while then turning. The cure to that is simple adding a 5 dollar bottle of ford limited slip additive and continue driving vehicle until it works in and noise goes away,Smitty
Old 09-18-2004, 01:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Smitty-- Many thanks for the prompt response to my PM. Yours are some of the better posts on this site. I couldn't count the times you've gone out of your way to help one of us. Lou
Old 09-19-2004, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Smitty, that's some good stuff on the e4od trannys. Sounds like Ford has been through a lot of trial-and-error over the years to get it right. But is it "right" yet? You're recommending a number of upgrades.

My rear diff clutches went out the first time at 48k. Yup, thumpimg and jerking when turning tight. I notice it mostly in reverse, like when I'm setting up at a launch ramp, or putting the boat back in the garage. They ended up changing out the whole "pig".

Now, at 65k, (18k later) the rear diff is shot again. I actually noticed it about 5-6k miles ago, so I picked up a bottle of the graphite stuff from the Ford dealer. It helped for about 3000 miles.

I dropped it off last Tuesday, and they ordered parts that afternoon. Apparently, there are none in North America, and they're hoping for "sometime next week". That's why I was asking if this is a common problem - dried up parts supply. Sure looked like a nice day out on Lake Erie today - at least what I could see from shore.

I'm really thinking hard about a Duramax/Allison combo. My wife is a manager at Ford, so we get A-plan on purchases. But after seeing how her folks at FCSD have treated us on this truck, even she's encouraging me to look at GMC.

This whole thread is a pretty sad commentary on "Built Ford Tough"

Cheers,
Brian
Old 09-19-2004, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Brian,i had a 2002 4dr duramax short box,put 40000 miles on it in 13 months,loved it,sold it and now have a 2004 duramax ,27000 miles in 10 months ive owned it,not any problems with either one,Smitty
GM would be real smart to build a suburban on same drivetrain,i'd buy one tommorow if they did!
Old 09-19-2004, 09:35 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Smitty,

I am impressed with your vast knowledge on these trannies. I have a 2004 Dodge 3/4 ton diesel with an auto trans. Do you know of any common problems or things I need to watch out for with those or what stronger upgrades/mods I can do that would prolong the life of the tranny without voiding the warranty? At this time I have 18,000 miles on the truck. Thanks
Old 09-19-2004, 10:00 AM
Registered

Smitty, I too am impressed with your knowledge and experience with transmissions and making them live longer under the loading conditions we place on them towing big a$$ loads.

It also impresses me that with knowing what you do about trucks, you choose to run a Duramax/Allison combo. This says a lot.

Do you have any "tricks" that you perform on the Allisons? Or are they good to go as-is?

Thanks again,
Brian
Old 09-19-2004, 04:16 PM
MAG502NUM

Am I missing somthing here? I thought SD's only came with the 4R100....maybe you can get an e40d with a rare 5.4 in an SD? Are the e40d and 4R100 really the same? I do know one thing though, Smitty, there is absolutly no reason to change the tranny fluid 3 times when switching to a synthetic [over $300 on an SD] on a 4R100 as it can easily and completely be purged through the cooler return line...very easy process that many owners of these trucks use...takes just a few more minutes than an oil change. There is a Ford tranny/dyno engineer that frequents[at least he used to] this site, Joey Skroki? Maybe he can chime in here? The '01 4r100 w/the mechanical diode while providing very good service in V10 applications, had a higher than average failure rate in the diesel. The trans was changed back close to pre-'01 specs for '02. This transmission provided good service as long as the vehicle remained stock...if you want to trick up your 7.3, at least get a real transmission temp gauge and keep the thing cool. The 4r100 has been replaced by the new TorqueShift which is not only more robust, but is considered to be at least as good as any other offering in this application. Not dissing any other brand....Just buy American!!

Old 09-19-2004, 08:17 PM
Registered

4R100 = e4od ? Ya got me... but what's being discussed in this thread -mainly updates to automatic tranny's and the need to keep them cool is the main reason I've been towing with a manual trans for the past 15 years. Be gentle with the clutch, stick it in gear, and fugetaboutit. I've never replaced a clutch in 200,000 miles between three Ford SD's.

Maybe the overdrive failure on my ZF was partially self induced, as I tend to tow in overdrive with the cruise control on with a 10,000 lb boat and generally set it at 70mph or more. Maybe the ZF's just don't lubricate the top end of the trans well at those speeds.

The rear diff problems, however, have no excuse. Especially at 18k bewteen repairs. Ford's Customer Service Division has left a particularly bad taste in my mouth, basically telling me "tough chit, it's out of warranty." (by 5000 miles) This - even after my wife ran it up the management chain internally. She has 18 years with the company, and is suggesting I try another brand.

Buy American? Of Course! Another Ford, probably not.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:28 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by p4-33
Ford's Customer Service Division has left a particularly bad taste in my mouth, basically telling me "tough chit, it's out of warranty." .
What a joke, they call it the Customer Service Division. I have never witnessed such blatant disregard of customers concerns or issues. Fords Tail Light Warrantee, don't blink, you might miss it.
Old 09-19-2004, 08:32 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

BTW, I have a 03 F250 SD with 5.4 22K, I pull 9,000 lbs and the heat gage is always rock solid, never gets even a little hot. Do I have anything to worry about like the others? Thanks,

Quick Reply: Ford Super Duty drivetrain problems

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.