Hey, TAZ!  Bmax thread.. >

Hey, TAZ! Bmax thread..

Notices

Hey, TAZ! Bmax thread..

Old 09-27-2004, 10:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Hey, TAZ! Bmax thread..

Twin 850's in a 10,500lbs. V hull and mine still work.
Old 09-28-2004, 07:59 AM
Registered

Max machine is working a set of billet cases that they say will be superior to anything else that will bolt to a bravo gimble, give Jason or Aaron a call at 928 505-7860, they have worked the top half and bottom half of my XR with good results. Very nice to deal with.
Old 09-28-2004, 08:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Taz,

Thank God you've shown up.
I had a strong feeling that you would have the answers.

As far as the shifting issues, the drives shift INTO gear smoothly and consistently. One drive (port drive that sheared the propshaft) shifts equally well from in gear back to neutral. The stbd drive hangs forcefully in gear. Doesn't matter if it is fwd or reverse. Hangs both ways. Is definitely worse when warm but is still a b@stard when cool.

Propshaft sheared off port drive. Propshaft endplay was (by hand) 0.020" to 0.040" on both sides when the boat went into the water Friday afternoon. I checked it Friday morning before we left the shop with it, and again when I backed it to the water and undid all the trailering straps at the ramp. After last years' problems I wanted to be sure we were sitting pretty from that standpoint. The drives had appx 12 hours on them since being "fixed" from the stud shearing episode. After our Friday run, we didnt pull the boat and recheck the endplay.

Friend knows performance equipment needs maintenance. He's been into hot powersports his whole life and campaigned successful drag cars (whatever classes run 430" nitrous smallblocks in tube framed Corvettes) for years and years. He had Banks turbo big blocks in Scarabs long before a lot of guy on this board had gotten off their tricycles. He knows there are things that need to be done regularly. He can hold a wrench but needs to be instructed on what to look for. Obviously, due to conditions I am not sure of, nobody has given him the proper maintenance rundown on these drives (even though he has spoken to Dean on several occasions).

I'm happy to hear that you feel the shifting issues are something that can be addressed. My friend wants his Bmaxes to perform properly, and has other "experts" telling him to dump them. I'll pass along this new information and I expect that either he or I will be calling you.

Thanks so much.

mc

Last edited by mcollinstn; 09-28-2004 at 08:07 AM.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:58 AM
Registered

** I'm still scratching my head trying to figure out why I have been "outed" as a badmouther.

mcollinstn,

I love you man! Now how 'bout a hug
Old 09-28-2004, 01:16 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I am having the same shifting problems. One does not want to go into reverse or is real slow going in. I figure it has to do something with the clutches ,springs . I did not know there is a set up height on the clutch set up?
Mine is a stock 388 Hustler 500efi.

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:33 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Set Up Is Not In The Clucch But In The Inner Bearing Height, In The Center Of The 2 Upper Gears. WAS THIS SLOWNESS FROM THE START OR IT DEVELOPED SLOWLEY AS THE DRIVE GOT OLDER? BEING REVERSE I WOULD NOT SUGEST FIXING IT. IT'S SOMETHING YOU CAN LIVE WITH. BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE FUSSY AND THIS IS NOT EXCEPTABLE. IT DEPENDS ON THE PERSON. THIS CAN BE FIXED BUT THE WHOLE UPPER MUST BE TORE DOWN.

Last edited by WILDTHING TAZ; 09-28-2004 at 04:38 PM.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Mcollinstn,did you mean .002-.004 endplay? .020-.040 would be a TON and would let bearings and gears fly around anywhere they wanted,i'm sure it was a typo on your part. Front lower gear probably wouldn't last 5 minutes that loose,Smitty
Old 09-28-2004, 10:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

No, 0.020" is about what I felt. No discernible "up and down" with the shaft pushed "in" or with it pulled "out". But definitely had 0.020 ish.

Front gear runs against a thrust bearing. I'd been told before that BMaxes run with some endplay being normal. Some guy told me that in 2003 (last year). It was somebody on the dock at Jamestown in 2003 who claimed to sell BMaxes. Didn't catch his name, might have been Taz, might not have been. He had stopped cause he had seen the BMaxes on the cat and was asking how we liked them. I told him one shaft had a bunch of endplay but my carrier nut wrench wouldn't fit cause of the big diameter shaft. He said it has a crush collar and you just twist her on in to take it out.

Anyhow, I passed Bender's info on to my friend today and I expect he will be calling him. He's at the point of wanting to either get the BMaxes right on the boat OR selling the boat with the XR's back on it and getting one with sixes and big hp. Sweet boat. I prefer he gets this one running right.
Old 09-28-2004, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got a call from your friend on Sat. But my voice mail was on the blink. I called and left a short message and have meant to try him again as I finally got my voice mail from him. I would like to sell my 42 MTI and build a new one. I have spent a fortune on mine the last yr and it is running great, really great for a pump gas boat.It also has the dry sump 6's, completely rerigged by MTI this winter and at the paint shop right now. Have him give me a call if he is interested, He won't be disappointed. Michael Craig 918-231-9013 cell
918-485-2200 work
Old 09-28-2004, 11:19 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WILDTHING TAZ
The Set Up Is Not In The Clucch But In The Inner Bearing Height, In The Center Of The 2 Upper Gears. WAS THIS SLOWNESS FROM THE START OR IT DEVELOPED SLOWLEY AS THE DRIVE GOT OLDER? BEING REVERSE I WOULD NOT SUGEST FIXING IT. IT'S SOMETHING YOU CAN LIVE WITH. BUT SOME PEOPLE ARE FUSSY AND THIS IS NOT EXCEPTABLE. IT DEPENDS ON THE PERSON. THIS CAN BE FIXED BUT THE WHOLE UPPER MUST BE TORE DOWN.
On the port drive it just started the first of the season. Now its bad enough to if your docking and moving forward I have to use the other drive to stop it then straight up after it decides to go into reverse. I want let anybody else dock it because of this . What do you think is wrong with it?

The other drive wants to hang in forward after your have run the boat.I have allready broke one cable trying to get it out of geat.It feels like the teeth on the clutch are gone making it stick into the bronze cone.Dean said to make sure the water was coming out of the top cap . While my buddy was driving I looked and there was plenty of water coming out of it. 2 streams.
Any ideas???

Thanks

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Quick Reply: Hey, TAZ! Bmax thread..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.