Stereo Questions >

Stereo Questions

Notices

Stereo Questions

Old 11-27-2004, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Stereo Questions

What are the biggest problems that you are having with the stereo systems in your boats? What have you tried?
Old 11-27-2004, 12:31 PM
monsta

Default Re: Stereo Questions

Corrosion seem's to be the biggest fight. Then of course shock and vibration. All the heavy item's , like amp's and such should be fastened using bushing's similar to the ones they use to hold down msd boxes. And all your wiring should be tinned with tinned connector's. Adhesive lined shrink tube is a must, and for the long run's of wire make sure you use adequate ga. size, and at least 8 for the pos. and ground on the amp's.

Old 11-27-2004, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Playing cds in 8 footers.
Old 11-27-2004, 05:30 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCPERF
Playing cds in 8 footers.
Memory sticks. If you skip one of those it means the stick fell out
Old 11-28-2004, 06:54 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sight & Sound
What are the biggest problems that you are having with the stereo systems in your boats? What have you tried?
I have no problems with the stereo system in my boat.

But if I did, it would be placement. If you are trying to identify the needs of the market so that you may meet those needs with your marine a/v company.... I would say manufacture custom panels on a case by case basis for better speaker placement.

I am not trying to argue that audiophile acceptable imaging and soundstage will be achieved at the helm, but I was able to get great results with using component speaker systems and putting the HF driver in the dash. (Port I attached one using a surface mount adapter, and SB I put one in with the guages by eliminating a 12v assy socket) But for the mids I had to make a substitute panel to get the 6.5 inch mid drivers near enough.

I had good luck with Bazooka subs under the rear seat. I had no way to do traditional woofs. The amps were mounted in a hatch down below with number 4 to a power block and short number 8 to each amp.

The coolest part of the install is that I wired the amp remote leads to two swtiches at the helm. This gives me independent stereo "kill switches" so I can kill the cockpit speakers and or the helm speakers in an instant if we are about to dock, or if there is a problem or emergency. Plus, these kills let me run different combinations of "zones." (Helm only, back seat only, cabin only or any combo) The cabin speakers are run only off of the head unit speaker leads so that when down below at night, you can jam without needing the amps on.

Most guys can get gear ok, and most guys can wire it up ok, but custom fabrication may be your ticket.

Good luck. Welcome to OSO.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:34 AM
Registered

Thanks - my goal here is to link the manufacturer with the consumer here. If you spend $250,000-$500,000 on a boat, would'nt you expect the audio/entertainment system to be of equal quality?
Old 11-29-2004, 08:05 AM
Registered

The audio system in my master bedroom cost me more than my 26 foot boat with twins.
Old 11-29-2004, 08:06 AM
Registered

Priorities.
Old 11-29-2004, 11:28 AM
Registered

Need a second battery. Optima cranking and Optima Deep Cycle on order
Old 11-30-2004, 09:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I run four pptimas, in billit boxes, my biggest problem is fining a short ground with my amps in the cabin

Quick Reply: Stereo Questions

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.