Trailer Backing Into Garage

Notices

Trailer Backing Into Garage

Old 12-17-2004, 12:52 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Trailer Backing Into Garage

The better half and I have a lot that we would like to build on, and I would like to have a garage to park the boat trailer in (with boat sometimes) so I can pull engines and other fun stuff. Please click on the .pdf as I have done a layout that is to scale and would like comments on "Can this be done". The issue is the front yard across the street, I can not "drive over" it. Is there any way? The drive will be slightly uphill from the street to the house. The width of the driveway will be enough for the boat garage and then a full double car garage next to it. The house face sits 25' back from the edge of the road, the boat garage can be set back 32 Ft from the street. The "box" truck shown is ~20' long, the boat and trailer combined ~50'.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
BOAT DRAWING.pdf (7.3 KB, 626 views)
Old 12-17-2004, 01:08 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Trailer Backing Into Garage

Several thoughts:

1. I've got a place to store a 50' boat and trailer, so maybe ....

okay, back to reality

2. Backing the trailer into the garage at such a tight angle will leave little room for error, and you can't keep much stuff near the wall of your garage where the starboard side of the boat will be, or you'll hit it with the stern while backing the boat in.

3. Can you get either a hitch on the front of your truck, or a smaller yard tractor to back the trailer in? Both would reduce the need to drive on the yard across the street.

4. 50' of boat and trailer is A LOT of trailer. Semi trailers are only 53' long. Are you sure your trailer is that long?

5. Will you have a second person with a radio guiding you into the garage?

Your drawing looks like it's possible if any of the above can work.

What software did you draw it in? that looks sharp.

chart
Old 12-17-2004, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Put a hitch on the front of your truck and you'll be able to put your boat anywhere you want to put it!!

I have a simular problem with my driveway, but I don't have a front hitch (I use to work at a marina that had them, they were GREAT!!) Anyway I used my wifes Denalli (size of a tahoe) to back it into the driveway last time and it was much easier!! I wouldn't want to pull it to the lake with her Denalli, but it was fine for this situation!!! Also used My brothers Avalanche to put my boat into storage, its shorter and turns sharper than my Crew Cab Dually!!

My boat is a Baja .38 Special, so it's about 9600lbs dry and 43ft including trailer and drives.......
Old 12-17-2004, 01:31 PM
Beak botr
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Chart
Several thoughts:

1. I've got a place to store a 50' boat and trailer, so maybe ....

okay, back to reality

2. Backing the trailer into the garage at such a tight angle will leave little room for error, and you can't keep much stuff near the wall of your garage where the starboard side of the boat will be, or you'll hit it with the stern while backing the boat in.

3. Can you get either a hitch on the front of your truck, or a smaller yard tractor to back the trailer in? Both would reduce the need to drive on the yard across the street.

4. 50' of boat and trailer is A LOT of trailer. Semi trailers are only 53' long. Are you sure your trailer is that long?

5. Will you have a second person with a radio guiding you into the garage?

Your drawing looks like it's possible if any of the above can work.

What software did you draw it in? that looks sharp.

chart
Chart, Thanks for the reply. Don't have the boat yet, have to build the house first, just trying to do some future planning, a while back, we upgraded our hoist at previous house, and guess what, a boat to fill the new capacity appeared "FM" (very old boat, but in good condition ~31' Fount. with added swimplatform), now dreaming about smoother ride and bigger cabin (think 43' or 46' Black Thunder/Fountain Lightning) so 50' for boat and trailer is what the dealer said. So thought about and will fit a front hitch on the truck, but with with the depth of the lot so short, the back of the boat will be entering the garage as the tongue is at the edge of the street.

Radio, signal flares, and RPG's in case of emergency. I used AutoCAD 2004 for the original and plotted it to adobe .pdf file for posting.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:33 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I had the same problem at my old house and got a small forklift that I used to park it. Plus its great for moving motors and stuff around also.
Old 12-17-2004, 02:21 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I'm sure it can be done, but it'll probably take some practice. My house is set up similarly. My boat on the trailer is 35' long. I did set my house back an extra 10' to 35' total + there is 12' of city ROW, so my total from the edge of the street is 47' Its not a problem at all now, but if I were to add another 10' of boat, it would be tough. idon't have to worry about that though. Only have enough room in the garage for 4 more feet of boat. I can always build farther out the back though
Old 12-17-2004, 02:54 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Another option would be picking up a retired airport tug. They are stong as an ox, and maneuver great. You may be able to back it in there, but your pivot point is going to be way farther forward when you come to pull it out of there. Realize a 40'+ boat on a trailer is not going to turn and maneuver for shlt. You are probably going to have to wet down the driveway when turning it so it slides better. I agree with the other guys, that it probably can be done, but its gonna take practice. Can you make the front portion of the garage and the door a few feet wider? Also, when it comes time to just stick the trailer in there, you can remove the wheels/tires off of the back two axles, and it will swing/maneuver much easier. Obvisouly, you can't do this with the boat on it.
Old 12-17-2004, 04:56 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=FunHome]Put a hitch on the front of your truck and you'll be able to put your boat anywhere you want to put it!!QUOTE]

Not quite so easy . I did that same thing for my enclosed car carrier. Backing up you have mirrors and can see down BOTH sides of the trailer. When I drove it in forward you can't see the right side
Old 12-17-2004, 07:00 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a harder time with my old 28 Scarab than I do with the Hustler. Your just going to have to try it..

The Mr Bean car works too
Attached Thumbnails Trailer Backing Into Garage-chevelle-eng-element-bryant-eng-045.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:15 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

strip, you let that thing in your driveway? does it have NOS too?

Quick Reply: Trailer Backing Into Garage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.