Notices

Gimbals

Old 01-20-2005, 11:07 AM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Gimbals

Roger If You Need To Call Me For Any Reason Cell 216-390-1330. Be Sure To Put Your Name And A Phone IN THE BOX Where I Can Find You. Ron
Old 01-22-2005, 09:24 PM
Registered

Re: Gimbals

Today, I took apart a freshwater unit that I drove way upstate for as part of a package deal, It's housing was in much better shape, although the seal was completely rotted. It had no real wear, although seal area was corroded, and the shaft was very pitted on the lower surface. I also took apart another saltwater unit today and found that someone had tried to make a seal up out of 2 o-rings and silicone . A guy at work just got two new ones and traded me the old sloppy ones for some exhaust parts. Both had plugged access holes as someone had "fixed " these before. I don't know if it's me but, I havent seen this level of corrosion in this area on the worst Alpha unit I've ever had apart. (At least 25 of them). Maybe it's because alphas have the grease fitting. I'm going to have to drop off some housings to get glass beaded, and a few to get welding, when the weather clears! I've got to get the garage cleaned out and get 200 Amp service so I can run the big compressor for the huge Clemco bead booth, and The P&H Tig that's all buried in the back of the shop. I think I'm going to go for the SS shafts, but I've been on a real feeding frenzy and have been cornering the market on Merc. parts. If I keep going like this I'll go broke. I'll have to wait a while, and have to calm down on big purchaces, or at least until I sell off a few motors, drives etc...
Old 02-02-2005, 12:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ron

My gimbals are on there way. You should get them by Friday. I want two of the pivot shafts too.

Roger
Old 02-02-2005, 01:18 PM
Registered

May have 2 HP gimbals available soon

Last edited by Dixie Doug; 02-03-2005 at 10:02 AM.
Old 02-02-2005, 02:16 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Big Block Billy I Have Seen The Seal Area Corrode To Where The Seal Will Not Stay In . At That Point You Cant Do Anything With The Casting. The Corrosion Is So Bad You Can't Weld & Re Machine Because Of The Porosity You Get In Welding Corroded Alum Is Imposable To Weld With No Porosity. Thats Why You Need To Maintenance These Housing Once They Become Corroded. Use Red Lock-tight On The Seal So It Will Help Hold The Seal In And Seal The Alum. So It Won't Corrode. Also With Salt Water Boats The Salt Gets Into The Pours Of The Alum And Imposable To Weld. Alum Need To Be Clean As Passable To Weld Good. With The Size & Weight Of Your Boat The Strength Of The Gimbel Housing Is Not An Issue But The Corrosion Is. Once Corrosion Starts You Can Not Stop It, You Can Only Slow It Down. Ron Bender
Old 02-03-2005, 02:09 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info Ron. I'd like to find out more about the differences in the high perf assys. What do I have to do to install the heavy duty pins? I know I'll have to drill and tap the gimbal ring for the retaining screws. Also about the shafts, how much are they if I buy a several of them. Thanks again Billy
Old 02-03-2005, 03:38 PM
Registered

Ron, what is the procedure to check the bushings in the bell housing? You checked the lower one on my gimbal ring and said it was OK. I need to learn how to check the others.

Thanks and the ring looks great!
Shawn
Old 02-03-2005, 04:49 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ron

I see that mine got there. Do you think you can save them?
Old 02-03-2005, 05:03 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

Big Block Billy Pivot Pins Are In The Side Swivel Shafts Are On The Top, Which Ones Are You Talking About? If You Are Going To Change From A Sending Unit Type You Will Have To Bore Out The Bell Housing To Except A Plastic Wear Bushing. If Your Bell Housing Has A Stainless Washer On Each Side You Will Have To Do A Little Welding Around The Edges Befor You Bore For The Wear Bushing.
Old 02-03-2005, 05:13 PM
B-MAX REPAIR
Platinum Member

QUIET STORM THE RINGS ARE JUST STARTING TO SLOP OUT YOU ARE FIXING THEM AT THE RIGHT TIME,BEFORE MORE DAMAGE STARTED. IV SEEN THEM 1000 TIMES WORSE. BY THE LOOKS OF THE CORROSION AROUND THE SQUARE THIS BOAT MAY HAVE SEEN A LITTLE SALT WATER AT ONE TIME OR THE OTHER. THERE SHOULD BE NO PROBLEM REPAIRING THEM. IT LOOKS LIKE I WILL HAVE THEM TO SHIP OUT APPROX. FEB 15th. ILL CALL YOU WHEN THEY ARE DONE. RON

Quick Reply: Gimbals

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.