Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Trim Pump Pressure Relief Valve

Shawn who makes your rams?
Old 01-06-2005, 08:46 AM
Registered

MMwalters before we try to blow up your pump I would like to try something else first.I am think outside of the box here and I need a day in the shop to play with my toys.
Old 01-06-2005, 09:52 AM
Registered

Hey guys, go home from work and all sorts of writing takes place, sorry I missed it until now.

Michael, hop in anytime, the beauty of this board is the free flow of knowledge and experience. I still owe you a ride and can't wait to pay up hope Sally can join us.

My tabs were made by Hynautic but I do not know the operating pressures. I bought them from someone on the board for under a grand complete, two tabs, two pumps four lines some fittings etc. I think it will be a pretty good deal when I get it running right.

I forgot these were made to work with the outdrives and are too strong for cylinders.

Unless I reset the pressure, I will have the same problems with the new and improved cylinders.

My set up is installed right, just too strong. Worked like a charm the first two times and see ya later after that. I plugged the blown cylinder and used the other to hold the tab in the up position until winter when I could fix it right.

Should I take this to a nydraulic shop to have tested and pressures set, or am I better off buying the gauge to set it up myself?

Thanks for all your help
Shawn
Old 01-06-2005, 10:45 AM
Registered

FloridanSon I am open to any idea. It is cold up here so I have not planned to blow anything up for a little while. Have been giving much thought to larger bore cylinders though. The bore on my cylinders is onlt 1 1/4''
Shawn see you leave work and things get done.
Old 01-06-2005, 05:27 PM
Registered

Need some help here.If someone would go to search type in trim pump on the fourth page half way down there is a thread that Magnum started and it is called K plane pump.Shawn I allso think you were the last one to post an answer on that thread,.but if someone could bring it up to this thread for me I will say a prayer for them.Shawn if your pump is like the one in the thread then we can get it real close to what you need 1800lb.just by backing off the jam nut and turning out the spring holder 3/4 of a turn.
Old 01-06-2005, 11:26 PM
Registered

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=64498

Floridasun, you do have a pretty good memory, and yes Michael, I did set my alarm for midnight to see what you all were up to tonight and am somewhat disappointed.

I wish I had paid more attention to post #5.

If 3/4 of a turn changes the pressure from 3,600 to 1,900 it must be pretty sensitive.

How good is this pump compared to the drive pumps?

Thanks
Old 01-08-2005, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Any of the newer pumps have the same motor. The pump sections vary in pressures settings and rate. Standard K-Plane pumps, Merc Racing outboard pumps, (the one you have) and the Competition pump have the same rate pump section. The Bravo pump is the only fast rate pump (taller pump gear section). The Merc Racing outboard pump and the Competition pump (used for the competion version tabs w/ss cylinders and the MC6) are the same except for the solenoids and mounting. I have been told that although the pump sections are the same design for the standard K-Plane pump and the comp/outboard pump, they have to hand pick them because some pumps can't make the high pressure ratings because of internal pump rotor leakage (this is not leakdown). So to make a long story short, the pumps (although mounting and solenoids vary) are of basically the same quality, no real differences. As far as sensitivity, don't worry about your exact pressure setting on those small tabs. It shouldn't take much pressure to operate them, 1000psi may be enough.
Two completely opposite problems in the same post!
Old 01-08-2005, 04:33 AM
Registered

Falcon so you are saying he has the trim pumps rated at 2600-600 not the sport k plane rated at 1900-800 or the competition at 3600-2000.The one in my post with the pic is a trim pump.Falcon also been trying to figure out MMwalters problem.Now I'm leaning toward ram leakage or the system has air.Being help is the worlds greatest thing but trying to figure out what is wrong with something without see it is the tough task.

Last edited by FloridianSon; 01-08-2005 at 04:35 AM.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:20 AM
Registered

Falcon, thanks. My tabs are mounted on a 17 x 40 x 5/8 aluminum plate that acts as a tunnel tab. Is 1,000 lbs of pressure enough to hold this down while running and also keep it up?

shawn
Old 01-08-2005, 10:09 AM
'05 Concept SF23
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The area of the tab 17" X 40" is 680 SQ IN. The area of a 1 1/4" cyl is, oddly enough, 1.226"You have two of these cyls so your total area is 2.452 SQ IN. 2.452 SQ in X 3000 PSI = 7356 LBS of down force. 7356 divided by 680 SQ IN of tab area = 10.817 lbs of air PSI resistance. I would think that @ speed you could easily exceed this air PSI. I realize that the angle of attack of the cylinders will affect these #, but you have an enormous amount of area to overcome. I don't ever see them working as is. Have you talked to DANA about this?

Quick Reply: Trim Pump Pressure Relief Valve

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.