Power steering expansion tank

Notices

Power steering expansion tank

Old 01-23-2005, 12:25 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts
Default Power steering expansion tank

Here is a PM that was sent to me by Dave M. I don't have an answer for him, maybe you guys can help. I really don't see why it wouldn't work, but I really don't know as I didn't do the rigging on my boat. Attached is a picture which shows my tank.

Originally Posted by Dave M
Hey Craig,

I was going through some pictures I've taken in the past and there were a few of your Cig. I noticed that you have the same PS expansion tank that I have purchased. I can see that you have a large diameter hose coming out the bottom. I was going to reduce mine down to a 3/8" fitting. I'm wondering if that is the way to go. Do you have a good detailed picture of the plumbing? If you do can you send it to me?

Thanks,
Dave M.
Attached Thumbnails Power steering expansion tank-bullet%5B1%5D.starboardengine.jpg  
Old 01-23-2005, 12:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Re: Power steering expansion tank

Thanks Craig.

I wonder if the side fitting must be the return from your helm. Does the bottom hose plump into your PS pump cap? Here's the picture I have. It looks like the side fitting is just capped off in this pic.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails Power steering expansion tank-2003_1005_132203aa.jpg  

Last edited by Dave M; 01-23-2005 at 12:46 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Im not sure if this will help. I am running a Marine Maching setup. I have one hose from my tank to the pumps. The return from the help goes back to the low pressure side of the pumps. This is the only picture i have.
Attached Thumbnails Power steering expansion tank-boat-027.jpg  

Last edited by TxHawk; 01-23-2005 at 12:54 PM.
Old 01-23-2005, 02:59 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,
I have the exact same tank. My low pressure return line, from the helm, goes to the PS cooler and then from the cooler, to the fitting on the side of the tank. The bottom of tank is plumbed to the top of the stock PS pump/reservoir.
Russ
Old 01-23-2005, 03:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks Russ. Does your tanks have a -10 fitting on the bottom? I have a reducer fitting that goes from a -10 to -6. I was going to use 3/8 hose to go back to the ps pump. Is yours plumbed to the LP fitting on the ps resevoir or the cap? I'm wondering if I am going to need a cap w/fitting.
Old 01-23-2005, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ExcaliburHawk40
Im not sure if this will help. I am running a Marine Maching setup. I have one hose from my tank to the pumps. The return from the help goes back to the low pressure side of the pumps. This is the only picture i have.
Hawk ..... how do you like the Marine Machine Setup .....I hear they are less money and work real well .....
Old 01-23-2005, 03:35 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Dave,
The side fitting is a -6 AN and the bottom fitting is a -10 AN. The bottom is plumbed to the cap. The low pressure line coming off the back of the PS pump is not used and is capped off with a slick little rubber unit purchased from NAPA. The cap for the PS pump is an aftermarket unit. It came with the boat but I believe it can be bought at CP Performance. Of course, I would try Fred at Trick Marine, first.
Russ
Old 01-23-2005, 04:41 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks again Russ.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 61 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
Hawk ..... how do you like the Marine Machine Setup .....I hear they are less money and work real well .....
All of the parts look very nice but I havent run the boat yet.
Old 01-23-2005, 09:51 PM
Official OSO boat whore
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I only have a single 3/8" line running from the tank to the pump cap as pictured. This only make the tank a reservior. Running the return line through the tank makes sense though. This way, the air in the entire system is purged out. With my single line, the system must burp to purge it's self. It's working though, so what can I say? Just make sure, the hose is sloped up hill twords the tank. You wouldn't want any air to be trapped in the hose.

Quick Reply: Power steering expansion tank

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.