Amsoil's New Gear Lube

Old 03-30-2005, 11:28 PM
OSO
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Amsoil's New Gear Lube

Launchit,

Welcome to the board and thank you for the information. Hope you stick around. It is nice to get info straight from the source.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, launchit/Kevin that's the best info I've gotten form anyone at Amsoil. Not that I contact them a lot, but each time I've called or emailed for specific information, or question a suggested application that usually comes with "use product X in your application" and that's it, I've gotten nothing. I think email is the worst about incomplete responses, when you gte a response.

The new gear lube question has popped up a few times and finally, we get a good thorough explanation! Thanks

Which reminds me, I need to get an order together.
Old 03-31-2005, 03:10 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

Great info launchit. I use Amsoil in all my vehicles & while my boat only has a 454 & Bravo 1, i wasnt as concerned as the others here w/ big power. Good to know i have nothing to worry about now or in the future.

Now im just waiting on my guy to get my order delivered!
Old 03-31-2005, 05:17 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Arrow Re: Amsoil's New Gear Lube

Originally Posted by Troutly
Yes, welcome to OSO! And I hope you stick around and set Hydrocruiser straight!!

Launchit.....just let me know if you need any help with socilaizing or anything on OSO....Troutly attended my charm school and toastmasters class as well and look at him now...

From what the offshore racers have said... Royal Purple Gear Max in a water logged drive offers amazing protection... RP does not foam either if things get wet.

Mercury's antimony additive is a great EP additive and do not underestimate the Power of Mercury HP!!

Offshore racing guys said Mobil-1 is great too!!

Some stand by Redline Shockproof Heavy.....

Amsoil marine lube is recognized as a very good PAO based product.

In a recent poll about 1/2 use Mercury Green HP and the other half a fully synthetic product.

The best product is the one you use

...always your call!
Attached Images  

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 03-31-2005 at 07:10 PM.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:37 PM
Registered

The Amsoil cost less the the Merc.HP.....I like the 10% water contamination tests. Thats critical on the Sportmasters O/B applications.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:50 PM
bob
Charter Member #40
Charter Member

Received 104 Likes on 51 Posts

Amsoil AGM aslo comes in 5 gal buckets at a good price!
Old 03-31-2005, 08:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Speed2Lead
The Amsoil cost less the the Merc.HP.....I like the 10% water contamination tests. Thats critical on the Sportmasters O/B applications.

Did you know Merc's Green Death passed the 10% water test??

It did!

RP can handle a LOT more.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 03-31-2005 at 10:09 PM.
Old 04-01-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 22 Posts

How about speed increases over Merc green.......I need all I can get!!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 09:09 AM
Registered

I was wondering the same thing.. Mercs. green stuff is pretty TACKY,, wondering if a full synthetic would free up the drive a bit,, maybe 1 mph ??
Old 04-01-2005, 01:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Chris288
I was wondering the same thing.. Mercs. green stuff is pretty TACKY,, wondering if a full synthetic would free up the drive a bit,, maybe 1 mph ??
I never heard any speed claims made with a fully synthetic vs. Merc's HP; but supposedly they do allow the drive to run cooler...that's protection against heat...if you want a more efficient drive you have to change design and Arneson does that. A conventional drive because of it's design and points of inefficiency inherently looses power just as you loose power going through a transmission in a car. It the laws of the jungle. Mercury HP is a very good product...that's why you don't gain much switching over.

I used Mercury HP for 10 years and never had a problem ....ever. It is a very good product. Fully synthetics may be better. RP is unique in it's ability to separate from water....if you develop a significant leak it might save your drive.

The real deal is to go Semi-Synthetic ( Mercury HP) or Synthetic and not use a cheap dino gear lube. The brand you pick is your choice.

When it comes to oil it's about the same call really...pick a PAO based synthetic and you can't go wrong. The brand again is your call. Why? The manufacturers don't show you on the label what additives are in the oil and in what amounts. The government should mandate such labeling for consumer protection. Advertising synthetic oil and tests etc. is smoke and mirrors.

Mobil-1 Gold Cap Extended is now a super premium oil for about 50 cents a quart more than regular Mobil-1. It's a steal as other extended super-premium synthetics sell for around $ 8.00/qt and the Mobil-1 Goldcap is about $ 5.45/qt.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 04-01-2005 at 01:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Amsoil's New Gear Lube

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.