loose hydraulic steering

Notices

loose hydraulic steering

Old 02-03-2005, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default loose hydraulic steering

Hello,
I purchased a 30' Scarab a while back and it's been sitting for a while and I finally had a chance to get it in the water myself. Everything works fine, except the hydraulic steering is VERY loose. like 15 turns from port to starbord loose. It hasn't been a problem for me except getting out of my dock (canal is 60' wide). It's somewhat annoying but not insurmountable on the river. The boat is a twin-engine, with TRS drives. The system is a dual-ram (one per drive), but I am unable to tell you the make of any of the equipment right now. It's been suggested to me by several mechanic friends that this could be the result of either air in the system, or a bad assist pump. The pump on the engine is a regular merc power steering pump, but many people seem to be running those on this form (i've done some searching to see if i can find something similar, and I can't) - so I don't know if that's it (unless it's broken). I've tried turning from hard port to hard starboard several dozen times (with engines on and off), and the result is still approxomately 15 turns.

What to check first ? Is this likely a mechanical probem, or did the previous owner accidentally install a system off a sailboat ? I'll check out more info on the parts next time I can get down to the dock and lower the boat. This isn't serious (I don't think), but my son isn't comfortable with steering that loose (our old boats were like four or five turns from hard port to hard starboard, which i thought was considered "normal").

Thanks for any information,
Paul R
Old 02-03-2005, 08:47 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: loose hydraulic steering

Sounds like air to me.
You'll need to crack the lines, (loosen the fittings) at the rams while somebody turns the wheel for you. Don't allow the reservoir to suck air, so keep refilling as needed.
Good Luck.
Old 02-05-2005, 08:46 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With the engine running the steering wheel should stop or get very hard when turned
lock to lock.If you have air in the system the drives can be move by hand,if the
hydraulics are working correctly no movement will be present.Even with air in
the system 15 turns don't seem right.Also even with a bad pump turns should be
about the same just slower.If it is air correct it soon hulls have change direction
over less at high speeds. Hope this helps
Old 02-05-2005, 09:12 PM
Registered

I'm probabily going to be calling the mechanic on this one; when I put it away last there was no visible leakage of any sort but I'm not in the habit of checking my levels when I come in. Needless to say, I lowered it today and a recent rain (and the 3" of water in the bilge) made the leaked hydraulic fluid rather aparent. I checked the resivour on the pump and it was bone dry (100% full before the last trip). still about 15 turns from hard port to hard starbord; essentally effortless turns at that (so much so i didn't think there was any fluid in the system, but the sterndeives moved just as before). the helm is a hydraulic-only helm with 4 hose connectors on it, but I was too busy cleaning up the fluid to be checking manufacturers or whatnot. I'm not even sure if the two problems are related, as the resivour was full before the last trip and it's always done this since I've had it. Perhaps the pump's been broken for a while and it just decided to give way (i've yet to locate the source of the leak, but i ruled out the helm).

So yes, if air in the lines wasn't a problem before it definetly is now as most of the fluid was found in my bilge. Haven't tried moving the drives by hand yet, as it's on a lift not a trailer, but I might use my gaff when i'm out there tomorrow.

Thanks for all the information,
Paul
Old 02-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Registered

Sounds like air or a very tiny steering wheel.
Old 02-07-2005, 07:49 AM
Registered

Dam.. I try not to make jokes on Tech threads. Sorry.
Old 02-07-2005, 08:11 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so fund you think he just needs a bigger wheel....
Old 02-07-2005, 12:32 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Most all manuf use the "Char-Lynn" helm. They make different models, with different turn rates. Check to see which model you have and try a tighter turning one. The Areoquip place on Metro pkway in Ft Myers sells them. Cheaper then OE manuf.

Dan