Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Piston Sprayers >

Piston Sprayers

Notices

Piston Sprayers

Old 10-23-2012, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info. I am building 598 blower motors and want to make around 1200 hp and debating the installation of piston oilers. I want to run 93 octane and believe they will help assist keeping detonation in order. KBL makes a pretty straight forward kit. I will call them to get a bit more info. Do you think they will be a benefit in this application?
Old 10-23-2012, 08:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Jason,

Are you building these yourself, or is someone building them for you ? A 1200 HP Engine is a serious build.

The piston sprayers are but a small part of the build, but IMHO, piston sprayers are like other components, only a part of the puzzle. Though they should extend durability, TBO. Second, sprayers may provide a bit of detonation protection. However, without a complete articulate model, piston sprayers will do little to eliminate failures.

People like Sterling, Eddie Young and etc. have tried and tested a multitude of combinations and found what works for them.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:21 PM
Registered

I will be building these myself. I totally understand it takes the right combination of components to make a great build. This is where I am at with components, dart 598 blocks, Callie's magnum cranks, Oliver rods, Ross pistons, Madara spec'd cam, Melling HV blue printed oil pump and Alluminum heads ported by Valako which flowed 400 cfm at .700 lift. These parts I currently have along with timing components, ignition systems, and everything else to build the bottom ends.

I am researching blowers now. I spoke to several of the top blower builders but there too many mixed opinions. I was told I can get to my target HP by some of the blower guys with an 8-71 and others say no way. Decisions- decisions???
Old 10-23-2012, 10:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Jason3603
I will be building these myself. I totally understand it takes the right combination of components to make a great build. This is where I am at with components, dart 598 blocks, Callie's magnum cranks, Oliver rods, Ross pistons, Madara spec'd cam, Melling HV blue printed oil pump and Alluminum heads ported by Valako which flowed 400 cfm at .700 lift. These parts I currently have along with timing components, ignition systems, and everything else to build the bottom ends.

I am researching blowers now. I spoke to several of the top blower builders but there too many mixed opinions. I was told I can get to my target HP by some of the blower guys with an 8-71 and others say no way. Decisions- decisions???
The .700 lift is a big number, you may want to look at that, though PSI has new spring technology. The 8-71 will produce a lot of heat, spinning to get 6-7 #, you may want to look at a 14-71 or Whipple. The EFI Whipple has a sticker shock price, but so does tuned carburetors, linkage, flame arrestors, on top of good superchargers.

It seems you plan on turning the 598 somewhere around 6500 to get 1200 HP on 93 octane. I understand hydraulic lifters are said to be capable, but solid is the norm. A hydraulic cam with less lift, a little less RPM combined with the required amount of boost may be worth considering. You may not get 1200 HP, but you should expect longer TBO, while approaching the target HP range.
Old 10-23-2012, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i remember when chevy would notch the rods on the 427 BB that would squirt oil on the cylinders..hey dont look past a pro charger m5 sc will give you your targeted hp and then some..http://www.procharger.com/M_profiles_modified.shtml
Old 10-23-2012, 11:06 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Jason3603
Thanks for the info. I am building 598 blower motors and want to make around 1200 hp and debating the installation of piston oilers. I want to run 93 octane and believe they will help assist keeping detonation in order. KBL makes a pretty straight forward kit. I will call them to get a bit more info. Do you think they will be a benefit in this application?
I use the BLP kit but if you're just doing it for one build it may be cheaper and easier to have a machine shop do it for you? It's a good option and helps with pin oiling as well but certainly isn't required for what you're doing. 1200hp from 598 cubes should be no problem. What size are the heads and what's your static compression ratio.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
I use the BLP kit but if you're just doing it for one build it may be cheaper and easier to have a machine shop do it for you? It's a good option and helps with pin oiling as well but certainly isn't required for what you're doing. 1200hp from 598 cubes should be no problem. What size are the heads and what's your static compression ratio?
Heads are 123cc/320. Static compression ratio is 8.5 to 1. I want to say the cam is roughly around 650 lift on intake and exhaust. I will post cam specs later when I get home, I don't remember them off the top of my head.

The BLP kit install looks to be pretty straight forward. Have to check into it a bit further vs. a local machine shop. I guess at this point it will be based on cost. Does its advantages out weigh cost?