Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
575 SCI  Whipple intercooler/intake ?$$? >

575 SCI Whipple intercooler/intake ?$$?

Notices

575 SCI Whipple intercooler/intake ?$$?

Old 03-02-2005, 12:26 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 575 SCI Whipple intercooler/intake ?$$?

I did a pair on a 42' Fountain. We picked up 600 RPM. The customer is extremely happy with them. I installed an A/F meter to test with. We ran it with the stock ECU and 6 PSI boost first. It was actually too rich. Dustin then leaned it out and it ran much better. It was also incredibly rich in cold start mode. He cleaned that up a lot too.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:01 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardCranium572
Just fyi, Steve, you didn't lose boost because of the plenum size. You lost boost because the charge is cooler and more dense, the blower is still feeding the same amount of air until you change a pulley. You have not changed the mass air flow that the engine is seeing. Boost is a direct relative of heat. You have increased the quality of the air by cooling it, also making the combustion process easier to control. Now, when you change the pulley to get it back up to 6-7 lbs as you stated, you will have drastically changed the mass air flow that the engine is seeing. Of course the efi needs to be remapped accordingly...fuel and/or spark. Again, just food for thought.
Steve, I agree with RC 572 on the boost issue. That is why it is making more power and rpm at a lower psi level. I know you said it really runs good with the smaller pulley bringing it back to the original boost levels...same boost more air and fuel. If you increased cubic inches...I could see a "Real" drop in boost.
Old 03-03-2005, 09:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

John,
Haven't had chance to run with the smaller (3.25") pulley, and new prop, but I'm sure looking forward to it ..............
Steve