When do cats fly? >

When do cats fly?

Notices

When do cats fly?

Old 03-03-2005, 10:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: When do cats fly?

Bob you are right. I can feel what is right or not. I wont blow the cat over because I will feel that happening hopefully well before that happens.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:20 PM
Registered

2 members of this forum have told me restraint on the trim switch. I do not know exactly what this means?
Old 03-04-2005, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The higher you hang the trim, the looser the boat will run. As with anything in life, too much is always jut that....TOO MUCH. Conservative trim angles will keep the bow lower and help the boat take off, fly and more importantly land level. It will also reduce your chance of a blow over. You commented that you will know its coming long before it does.....probably not. Blow overs happen in an instant. Also important to your safety is learning the hulls cornering characteristics before finding out the hard way where and when it wants to spin out. Start easy and if you feel the outside sponson nosing in on a corner, ease up on the wheel, NEVER the sticks as this will amplify the problem and you will probably end up swimming. You will find that cats tend to "slide" thru corners at speed but dig and turn real hard at slower speeds.
As to your initial question, my daytona starts to "fly" at around 70 mph and really takes a set at 80.
Old 03-04-2005, 02:58 PM
Registered

I agree with what Airpacker said completely. You cannot rely on "feeling" a blowover coming as it would be too late for you to do anything significant by the time you "felt it" coming. If you are flying along at 100 and hit a small wave that upsets your boats attitude you can find yourself upside down in a fraction of a second.

To illustrate the trim, on one of my boats you can have the trim tucked in slightly (as you would to take off) and go full throttle. The boat will max out in the mid 70's. Once you start to trim up the engine, and the boat begins to pack air, the speed will steadily increase to about 90 where this boat reaches it's top end with current power. You can feel the boat getting lighter and smoother on the water. You do not want to go too far with the trimming though.

Take it one step at a time and maintain your comfort level.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:16 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by tj309
2 members of this forum have told me restraint on the trim switch. I do not know exactly what this means?
It means you don't want to trim it like a V hull, let the tunnel work for you. You don't want to be facing the sky when you are running full throttle and hit a large wake. You want to feel the stearing but not feel heavy in the nose. I doubt you would have a blow over problem at 110 if it's trimmed right. Only my opinion.

Last edited by GPM; 03-04-2005 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-04-2005, 09:25 PM
Registered

Watch your tack and speedo you will find the sweet spot where it really picks up speed around 75 to 80 in my old ChrisCat trim it up intill it gets loose then drop back on the trim to keep it flying level. Hyd jack plates will give you the best of both worlds with clamp ons. I put one on a boat I had and loved it great take off top end and ability to rooster tail all in one.
Old 04-01-2005, 02:06 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

the cat MUST fly! you are riding skimming stone , thrust maintains your momentum. I feel a slight bow up attitude achieved by correct cg.(about 1/3 forward of the transom ) is essential . In many cat racing miles i never had to trim up or down more than one click .Trim tabs and trim adjustments generally compensate for deficiencies in set up. (drive height , balance etc. ). your vessel should start to air out at about 40-50 , and, as you increase speed feel lighter and smoother , on rails , especially in a small chop . i'm pretty sure actives were good running safe boats. keep your eyes on the road and enjoy the "flight".
Old 04-01-2005, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 39 airs out @ 70 mph.

Lots of good advice in a few posts. Common sense is the key. Speed in a cat is fun but this is one machine where alcohol (even by passengers), speed, boat traffic and gasoline should not be mixed.
Old 04-01-2005, 03:07 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

generally after you stick a light m80 under em......
Old 04-01-2005, 03:28 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I thought it was when you kicked them in the azz.

Quick Reply: When do cats fly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.