When do cats fly? >

When do cats fly?

Notices

When do cats fly?

Old 03-03-2005, 07:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When do cats fly?

I have a 24' Active Thunder Cat powered by twin Merc ProMax 300's. As some of you know in this forum I am in the process of detuning this raceboat to be a bit more appealing to the wife. Throttle-up is setting me up with the right props but I need to know more about tunnel hulls and cats. At what speed does the tunnel take effect and raise the hull up? How does this change handling? At what speed does this become dangerous? (no tabs). How far can I push this in calmer water?(very important question). Yea when the urge hits I would like to max the throttles. I plan to run this boat in the bays of FL and Mobile Bay AL. Chop will be 2' or less (hopefully). When its a nice day I will go out in the gulf at a speed that wont scare the wife. But when the water is nice in the bay I want to drop off the wife and rip! Top end is not that important to me as this boat as currently set up can go way faster than my ability to handle it.

I am not some stupid rich kid that doesnt know boats. I am a 49 year old experimental test pilot that has owned and loved boats forever. I am now in a position to obtain that dream boat - and have - but need to tame it to my ability but leave that back door to speed open - I may open it someday.

Thanks....TJ
Old 03-03-2005, 07:54 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts
Default Re: When do cats fly?

How fast does it go?
Old 03-03-2005, 08:12 PM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on calm water, you will "feel" it take set and just start riding on rails... the speed will be different in every boat... mine really takes a nice set at about 80 and just glides from there up over 100.... just take it easy and do it in steps, you will be riding the rev limiters with those rworked props in no time and putting the bigger wheels back on....
Old 03-03-2005, 08:57 PM
Registered

TJ when cats first became popular everybody was concerned about blowovers. Well as it turns out stuffing was a much bigger problem. This is not to say you can not have a blowover but a little restraint with the trim switch will help. Stuffs usually happen in rough water. Go at your own comfort level without passengers and you will feel the limits of your hull.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:02 PM
Registered

Yea I gotta take it slow. The boat as currenly set up will do 110. This is an insane speed for me right now. 90 is good - when I push those golden levers forward I want to feel it like I did with the jets.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:04 PM
Registered

Sean --- you do over 100?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Registered

tj309,49 huh!I believe that's the sigh of a GOOD test pilot.Have fun with the new boat.You'll know what to do.BOB
Old 03-03-2005, 10:07 PM
Registered

mmwalters - your advice is always the best. trim is very important. I think when I get the new props and maybe have to lower the motors things will be great.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Bob280Silencer
tj309,49 huh!I believe that's the sigh of a GOOD test pilot.Have fun with the new boat.You'll know what to do.BOB
Well I am still alive and maybe you know the old saying - there are no old bold pilots ....
Old 03-03-2005, 10:14 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Let the big head do the thinking when you are chosing your water, don't over trim, slow down if it just doesn't feel right, and have fun.

Quick Reply: When do cats fly?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.