Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Chine Walk and Prop Effects? >

Chine Walk and Prop Effects?

Notices

Chine Walk and Prop Effects?

Old 03-09-2005, 02:03 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Chine Walk and Prop Effects?

Originally Posted by Dangerous Dave
You might want to consider doing both
Ahh Yes, but speed costs money - I'm still trying to figure out how fast I can go :-)
Old 03-09-2005, 02:35 PM
Registered

OK, so do props have much influence in the cause or cure of chine walking????
Old 03-09-2005, 03:37 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think the lack of full hydraulic steering has more influence.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There are many reasons why a boat chine walks. One of them is an improper prop selection. Keep in mind props are only one cause of chine walk. There are many, hull design, wrong pitch prop, improper drive height, steering type, etc.

I would agree that your boat needs full hydraulic steering. The lack of full hydraulic steering may not be the cause of the chine walking but it sure isn't helping the chine walk.

Your performance numbers don't seem to work, 4800 rpm @ 77.8 mph works out to a 5% slip. Very unlikely for your boat.

I don't think the chine walk is caused by the props not being matched. Stock Bravo's typically have the rake angle within 1-2 degrees which shouldn't make much difference in the lifting characteristics of the boat.

Matt
Old 03-10-2005, 07:32 AM
JC Performance Engines
Gold Member

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by LHC30Victory
Have spoken to one other owner of a similar boat (seen in Powerboat) and he said tabs were his only answer to the walking.
I don't like this at all...
Old 03-10-2005, 08:14 AM
Registered

I don't know anything about Advantage boats, except this: I was at a Marina talking to them about superchargers and there was an almost-new 30 foot Advantage there with HOs, may even have been an open bow, and they were working on it, and said that the owner was not at all happy with the way the boat was performing - don't remember any more particulars - I noticed about two months later that the boat was for sale. Does anyone on the Advantage section have the same boat that could help you out? Maybe its the design of the hull. Good luck.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:47 AM
Registered

Julie, I may have misquoted my rpm/mph in a prior post cause Im at work w/o my numbers in front of me. I have calc'd the numbers before and am at 11% slip at nearly WOT.
Old 03-22-2005, 01:51 AM
Registered

Just a thought... Are the drives properly aligned, I'm thinking of "toe in/toe out".

That could perhaps also cause the chine walk
Old 03-22-2005, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LHC,
I have a 23 Wellcraft Nova with a ZZ502/502, no tabs. At 60+,- on gps the boat would start to walk, even in a 6 to 8 inch chop. Sometimes would get scary in 1's and 2's.

I contacted Matt and Julie at Throttle Up. Sent them my Mirage 25 Plus along with hull weight, dead rise, X dimension info, and photos of the drive and transom. TU labbed/tweaked the prop. Top speed is 73 on gps. The prop work done by TU got rid of the walk completely...it's gone. Boat handles completely different. Very solid.

Prop work may or may not cure your problem as our boats are very different. But given the cost of the prop work, it might be the least expensive fix to try 1st.

Good luck - Bill

BTW...thanks Julie and Matt )
Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 PM
Registered

T_W, I have moved the toe in around to find only a little difference in speed but nothing in the way of mitigating the walk.

Kidnova, thanks for the personal info. I am going to add the full Hyd steering first then work the props again. I had them "matched" recently and it seems to be a little better, but not gone.

Good thing I like to "Tinker"

Quick Reply: Chine Walk and Prop Effects?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.