"Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples

Notices

"Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples

Old 03-13-2005, 12:53 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples

I need some suggestions on were the mount the water pick up for the innercoolers for the Whipples .

Dustin told me I could use 1 pickup with a 1 1/4 hose feeding 1 sea strainer should be enough water flow and pressure to supply both innercoolers.Then coming out of the saestrainers with 2 # 12's going into the innercoolers.

The problem is the trailer bunks would hit the pickup tube if its off center of the drain plug. I guess I could mount it were the trailer bunk is and put a stop on the tongue to stop it before it went up to far? I do not want to modify the trailer bunk . Thats a support at the rear. I really don't want any hull hanging off the back . I wonder if 2 inches would hurt the bottom?

Thanks for your suggestions and help in the matter.

Here are some pictures

Rob
Attached Thumbnails "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples-transom-002.jpg   "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples-transom-004.jpg   "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples-transom-005.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 03-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Default Re: "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples

I think where the speedo tube is to far out and its on the notch. it might want to steer the boat there also?
Attached Thumbnails "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples-hustler-halloween-04-038-medium-.jpg   "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples-hustler-scarab-037-medium-.jpg  

Old 03-13-2005, 01:42 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is your boat a step bottom ?? If it is not, they make water pickups that insert from the bottom/underside of the hull. I have two Whipples and I run two separate water pickups for the chillers. I don't want any loss in pressure to either one. I also bought cheap plastic sea strainers from Boat US made out of composite plastic and lexan. They are 100.00 each. Alot cheaper than stainless.

Can't wait to hear about those motors in the boat. You will be soooo hapy with your choice on the Whipples
Old 03-13-2005, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey strip If you let the boat hang off the trailer a couple inches you will end up with a hook after awhile. you can put em about anywhere in the back portion of the hull just make sure they dont line up with any strakes or put em too close to a step.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:35 AM
Registered

Strip, do you have any extra fittings on your sea strainers?
Attached Thumbnails "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples-2229440.jpg  
Old 03-14-2005, 03:21 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,814 Likes on 903 Posts

Here is a pic of my pick up. Its made by Latham Marine. It has very slight angle at the bottom and feeds my engine with plenty of water. Not sure how much vertical height you have on the sides of the bottom where it flattens out and on the outside of the center bunks, but that looks like it would be a good spot.
My pick up is 7.5 inches long, but it could be shortened a few inches. It goes through the hull a couple inches from the top.
Attached Thumbnails "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples-p3140028-small-.jpg   "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples-p3140029-small-.jpg  
Old 03-14-2005, 03:50 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

First, you can shorten the troublesome bunk(s) and have them stop at the very end of the hull with no problem. 1/2 inch or so under the boat won't hurt either. You have plenty of other bunks for good support.

Second, Fred aka Trick Marine carries a 2-stage water pump, that can deliver cooling to your SC and your engine. Agresssor 25 is currently installing this setup with a thru-hull pick-up, and using the drive pickup as a drive shower dumping back on top of the drive via a 90* thru hull fitting.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by customryder
Strip, do you have any extra fittings on your sea strainers?
sorry they are to flush the engines.
Old 03-14-2005, 04:46 PM
Registered

It's my understanding that you don't want a sea water pump feeding the intercoolers. Bob Endress at Vortech explained it to me once. He said you want to use an offshore style pickup such as the latham unit pictured but smaller or a thruhull with a vlam shell facing foward. the cold water pumping through the cooler at idle can actually make the intake charge too cold becuase there is no boost at idle therfore no extra heat and if you idle for a while like in a no wake zone this could be a problem Too cold is bad like too hot.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:48 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by hillbilly24
It's my understanding that you don't want a sea water pump feeding the intercoolers. Bob Endress at Vortech explained it to me once. He said you want to use an offshore style pickup such as the latham unit pictured but smaller or a thruhull with a vlam shell facing foward. the cold water pumping through the cooler at idle can actually make the intake charge too cold becuase there is no boost at idle therfore no extra heat and if you idle for a while like in a no wake zone this could be a problem Too cold is bad like too hot.
They say it makes the fuel puddle .Most of the blower companys recomend not running the water thru the cooler at idle.

Quick Reply: "Help" Were to Install Water Pickup for Whipples

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.