Alignment Tool

Notices

Alignment Tool

Old 03-26-2005, 07:16 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: Alignment Tool

One thing to look for, the coupler can be warped. I had this on my old boat. Bravo drive. Would line up the shaft so it would slide in a out with two fingers. Roll the motor over and it wouldnt slide in. Realign the motor, slides in and out. Roll the motor over 180* and the motor needed to be slid to the other side.. I borrowed a good coupler and built solid motor mounts, switched back to my warped one, and ran it for several more years and abused in the process, it never gave up..

As excursion said.. the gimble bearing will rock in it's saddle, so if you tap on the alignment tool it will move up, down, right, left.

just some food for thought, hope it helps.
Dick
Old 03-27-2005, 07:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alignment Tool

Originally Posted by excursion
One more thing is that when you look up into the gimble bearing make sure the the alignment tool is in the center of the bellows housing, the gimble is allowed to move some, hit the tool in the opposite direction to line it up, should be able to line it up then.

Good luck
That is SOOOO true. The bearing is spherical and can and does move within the outer housing. If you do not have this lined up properly by hitting the tooling axially, you will get a false out of alignment reading. The cartridge often gets out of alignment just removing the drive.

BT