Alignment Tool >

Alignment Tool

Notices

Alignment Tool

Old 03-25-2005, 04:52 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Alignment Tool

I have the align. tool but need the circular disc that slides on the end of tool. The disc fits in the gimbal housing when aligned correctly. I tried Merc and was told they do not sell them separately. Help!! where can I get one.
Old 03-25-2005, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Alignment Tool

I've aligned my drive many times with out the disc. I have always used the disc to just drive the Gimble bearing in. I just slide the tool in and you can feel when it's right. Make sure you have the right tool for the drive you are aligning. When the Gimble bearing & coupler are 100% in line the tool will slide in and out easily. Take your old Gimble bearing & alignment tool to a machine shop. Get them to machine a disc out of nylon to match the shaft & little smaller than you gimbel bearing.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:16 PM
Registered

Question Re: Alignment Tool

Machine shop is a good idea for the mods you mentioned. I just thought it would be easy to buy the disk. Apparently it is easier said than done. I tried eyeballing it to no avail . My front adjustment is as low as it will go and I need to go lower. This tells me that rear needs to be shimmed or replace the fiber washers and spring washers. If I had the disk for the align. tool it just would make it a hell of lot easier. This is getting to be a RED alert. HELP!!
Old 03-25-2005, 08:35 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I take it then that you are seeing the grease marks on the bottom of the tool then, right? Just double checking. I never have used my disc.
Old 03-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Registered

The align. is off both up and down and side to side. It would make it so much easier w/ a disk. Where can I get one?
Old 03-26-2005, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

What drive do you have?? You really only neet the disc when doing the TRS. You shouldn't need it to align a Bravo or Alpha. Is this a new install?? Are you using different motor mounts?? I would have to wonder why it is off this much if that was done by the boat manufacturer!
Old 03-26-2005, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You dont need the disk, tighten down the bell housing bolts as you would in a install, block the front of the motor and hook the hoist to the front of the motor, have someone slide the alignment tool in & out at the same time, when it is aligned it will go straight in. You can not make side to side adjustments with the bell housing it is just right.

One more thing is that when you look up into the gimble bearing make sure the the alignment tool is in the center of the bellows housing, the gimble is allowed to move some, hit the tool in the opposite direction to line it up, should be able to line it up then.

Good luck
Old 03-26-2005, 08:17 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by tmdog
The align. is off both up and down and side to side.
How is this possible?
Old 03-26-2005, 05:43 PM
Registered

The motor mounts are attach. to a "L" bracket that bolts to the stringer. The "L" is slotted for side to side movement. One of my siblings pushed the engine to one side and left town leaving me holding the bag.This is why I am in this predicament. It is a 1988 boat w/ a alpha. I'm sorry I was so vague in explaining my question. I appreciate all the help this Board has given. If the align was off up or down, this boat would be wet by now. I just thought a disk would make it easier to align.
Old 03-26-2005, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TomR is right. The disc is used only with TRS. --- JP

Quick Reply: Alignment Tool

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.