Oil Temp Sensor >

Oil Temp Sensor

Notices

Oil Temp Sensor

Old 03-29-2005, 06:34 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Oil Temp Sensor

What is the best location for the oil temp sensors?
Old 03-29-2005, 07:03 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Oil Temp Sensor

there are quit a few threads on the subject .... some say the oil pan is the best but you need to have a "port" to add the sensor ... I am looking also into adding gauges . I recently bypassed my oil cooler in attemped to check for a possible internal leak and could really test a difference in Oil Pressure between motors ...even at cruise RPM's ...
Old 03-29-2005, 08:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have also heard that the pan is the best place, but I can't get to it in the boat.
I mounted mine in the oil thermostat housing on the starboard side. It had a plug that I removed that was the same thread as the sending unit. I don't know if this is before or after the cooler, but it measures within +/-10 degrees of the pan (measured with an IR thermometer). This is an HP500 carb.
Kent
Old 03-29-2005, 10:54 AM
ursus

There is a plug in the remote oil filter bracket that the factory uses and it works fine. Some will say that the temp here can be as much as 10 degrees lower however when ever I have asked the question, if the oil is 10 degrees lower there after running thru only 1/2 of the remote oil lines and it would stand to reason that the return line would cool it another 10 degrees ,,,why do you need an oil cooler , apearantly the 5 or so feet of oil line is enough to cool the oil 20 degrees on its own. And if its only 1-2 degrees dif on a guage that is at best accurate to 5 degrees whats the dif.

Oil temp is also a relative thing once you know what your engine's is under dif conditions you will know something is up when it changes signifigantly and it will tell you much faster than the water temp. If the water is over temp the engine is toasting when the oil temp spikes its about to toast.

Old 03-29-2005, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ursus ....if I read you right your questioning the need for an oil cooler ... In my post I stated that I bypassed my oil cooler and although I dont know what the temps are it made a BIG difference in oil pressure between motors ... 60lbs versus 40-45lbs .. just running at 3-3500 rpm .. And these are just stock 454 mags .... I looked at the port on the remote oil filter and sure would be easy ...But I also would like to know what the Temps are in the motor ..... I am thinking at the point where pressure sensor is might be next choice ....
Old 03-29-2005, 09:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Steel Outlawed
What is the best location for the oil temp sensors?

Here's how I solved this problem. Pretty cool solution I think.

I installed two oil temp sending units. One in the bottom port of the engine mounted oil thermostat (reads hottest oil coming out of the engine) and the second in the block port above the original oil filter mounting boss where the oil thermostat is mounted (reads the coolest oil being delivered back to your engine from your oil cooler.

I still use only one gauge and wired them both through a DPDT switch (like an anchor/running light switch) so that the down position measures the cooler temp and the up position measures the hottest. This shows both ends of the spectrum at the flip of a switch and also tells you how effective your oil cooler is. My 3" cooler will typically reduce the temp by around 60*.

This is on a custom built engine not a 500 EFI but I used the same oil thermostat (merc racing).

Last edited by DrNautica; 03-30-2005 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-30-2005, 04:49 PM
Registered

I can beat it. How about making an adapter to mount the sending unit into the oil drain pan plug since it is not really used on most stock boats? I know some people use this location for pre-lube pump and oil change extension hoses, but the majority probably do not. Just an idea. Would give truest temp, and easy to get to one time only...???