Rev Limiter Question >

Rev Limiter Question

Notices

Rev Limiter Question

Old 04-03-2005, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Rev Limiter Question

I found them at Scoggin Dickie, MSD soft touch Rev-controls for stock ignition for $96.95, good enough for me. I have heard that the MSD boxes fail alot more often than the stock TB IV modules. What do you think??
Old 04-03-2005, 09:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by excursion
I have heard that the MSD boxes fail alot more often than the stock TB IV modules. What do you think??

I know of a couple that had same results. My brother lost 2 MSD's in 1 summer. Never heard of a Crane failing.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:42 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

James, The soft touch MSD's are the same that I found. I saw them in the CP Performance catalog. The ones you found are quite a bit less. What RPM are looking to max at?
Which props worked best for you? What were your stock props? Mine are Mirage 27's. Tommy said that I would over rev with those after the changes.
Old 04-03-2005, 09:50 PM
Registered

The Bravo 30's had the best top end # at 87.4 @ 5800rpm, will loose some rpm's once the heat & humidity comes in. Looking to set the rev-limit at 5800 rpm's. The Bravo 32's had a better hole shot and faster at cruise by 2 mph, top end was 86.8. I am going to get my 30's worked a little and should be perfect.

What are you going to do to your motors and when?
Old 04-03-2005, 10:12 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

James,
I am upgrading cams, new lifters, springs and freshing the heads. I have ordered the parts. My plan is to have the engines ready to pull next weekend. I will probably take the engines to Steve's garage to do the work. I have to check with him to see if his offer still stands. If not, I'm not sure where I will work on them.
Were your engines Blue? Did you repaint them blue? I'm not crazy about paying over $20/can for spray cans of HP Blue paint.
Give me a call, sometime. Home 759-2116, cell 240-0178.
Old 04-03-2005, 10:13 PM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

James,
I am upgrading cams, new lifters, springs and freshing the heads. I have ordered the parts. My plan is to have the engines ready to pull next weekend. I will probably take the engines to Steve's garage to do the work. I have to check with him to see if his offer still stands. If not, I'm not sure where I will work on them.
Were your engines Blue? Did you repaint them blue? I'm not crazy about paying over $20/can for spray cans of HP Blue paint.
Give me a call, sometime. Home 790-1730, cell 240-0178.
Old 04-04-2005, 06:57 AM
Registered

That sounds good, is Tommy going to do the work?
Which cam did you go with? You are not going thur the bottom end.... Yes, mine are blue, some of the paint was coming off and a little corrosion around the valve cover bolts, I bought 8 cans from Nautical Marine, EVERYTHING!!! was taken apart, sanded or bead blasted and then repainted and cleared, even the black was done. I have hours on them, but it was all worth it, they look better than new! the clear really sets them off.
Old 04-04-2005, 08:52 AM
Are we having fun, yet?
Charter Member

I'm doing the disassembly and assembly. Tommy is going through the heads, He has the parts ordered from Crane. I don't have the cam number. I 'm going on Tommy's recommendation. I'm not doing anything to the bottoms this time, except for timing chains and gears.
Did you use spray cans for the paint? Did you get to run your engines before you put them back in the boat. I have access to a test stand to run them, before the install.
I'm also going to do some rewiring in the bilge. The bilge pumps are wired so that when the battery switches are off, the pumps are dead. I'm going to relocate the oil filters and the drive oil bottles. Stuff in my engine well is so tight, it's a real biotch to get to.