what is it that attracts to offshore racing

Notices

what is it that attracts to offshore racing

Old 05-07-2005, 10:32 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,161 Likes on 3,670 Posts
Default what is it that attracts to offshore racing

While there have been many controvertial threads recently reguarding offshore racing. what is the main objective that is being created? by simply logging on to OSO we by nature have shown our intrest in Performance boating, But why is it that there is such a allegence to one race group over the other, is one really better than the other, is one group of racers better than the other. What is the end goal?? everyone claims to want unification, yet not give an inch toward this goal, Wether racing the latest and greatest equipment, or a 20 year old boat, is all just racing, are you appealing to yourself, or trying to generate a fan base, Poker runs have some of the biggest baddest hardware money can buy, they commonly have 80, 90 boats plus many running speeds well over 100, is there a appeal to the average fan to watch a few boats going 70 mph over a 5 mile course??
When i say average fan, most that are willing to do some travelling to watch offshore racing, wether it be on the ocean or lake or river. When you see a sponsor on the side of the boat, is there product recognition?? You can watch Nascar, and see ever type of sponsor , does that make me buy the product? As racers and team owners what are you willing to do for your sponsor?? are you willing to travel all over the country to promote thier product??? what are you willing to do for your fans, and i say Your fans , you the racers and the owners are the reason people show up. Dont you feel you owe it to the fans to put on the best show ever, Do you the racer give the time of day to the curious?? or do just continue with self absorbed intrests? At the end of the season, should all sactioning bodies unite under one arena to see who is the best, while we know a spectacle of this magnatude isnt free, who benefits, The fans who have travelled, spent thier money on hotel rooms, airline tickets, and misc. to enjoy a week of racing. And while many claim this is the racer's forum, many also will say that thier potenial sponsor's come here as do the curious, and well informed. It is certainly up to the racers to decide thier fate, but it is up to the fan on were to spend thier dollars, If the show is half-a$$, so will be the return. Take the time to read the Local Papers after the race leaves see if the town council really feels they got thier moneys worth. Then ask yourself what can I (the racer do)
to promote my sport to the next level.
Old 05-07-2005, 01:27 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: what is it that attracts to offshore racing

There is nothig we want more than to race on a fair, even, and inpartial playing field. We want to be at a show were the city, fans, sponsors, businesses want us there. We would like to promote all of out sponsors in anyway possible and to entertain them when they come to the races. All I've wanted to do since I saw my first race in 1982 (when I was 7) was to race. I grew up watching Erickson, Jesse James, and Agitator as some of my favorites. I've been so lucky with all the friens I have made over the years. I am extremely lucky to be living my dream now with great racing parteners that has been through all the ups and downs over the last few years but were still rolling along. The action, color, excitment, heartbreak all lend a hand in what makes offshore racing great. I think OSO is the BEST and WORST thing to happen to performance boating ever. It keeps most of the honest people honest and brings out most of the truths about the bad folks involved in out sport. If you read the little (Who's Online) box at the top of the screen you know there are alot of heavy hitters that visit here, so you know that shows merrit fot the whole board. I love it when people come up to me at events and know who I am from racing and OSO. I' have made unbeliveable friends from racing, boating, and OSO from all over the world. If the average fan goes to different races they'll make there own choices on who to support at which race sites. All the groups have races with GREAT race sites some better than others, but like I said the best are the ones that care about the races being in there town. Even though we are having a rough year with our own racing program we look foward to a bright future ahead in raceing. I don't think you'll see eiter group going anywhere in the near future but let this year play out and I am sure next year will be different. We would like to thank all our sponsors especially Recycle America Alliance for sticking with us. Look for S-111 at the races an come say hi! We wont bite, well....Roxie might.
Old 05-07-2005, 03:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

hey Ryan...are you racing up here in the northeast anywhere this year ? because after reading that post your somebody i'd like to meet. i was involved years ago through close friends of the family that used to race. and last year got back involved by being both a medic boat and sweep boat in Point Pleasant with the OPA, as well as in Camden. met some awesome people throught it and i hope the politics doesnt over take it. Best of luck this season. Didnt get a chance to meet ya in Key West but if i'm there this year i most certainly will.

Last edited by berns29scarab; 05-07-2005 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-07-2005, 03:50 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Bern , I heard you just bought an outboard cat, good luck with it. If we make it up there it will be for the NYC race. Like I said I grew up wanting to race and my family never had that type money, now we scrape together money and sponsor money to go to RACES to RACE! Look foward to meeting you.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

thanks, and who knows what the future holds in store.
Old 05-07-2005, 08:47 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bruce, you know you can put him on ignore so you'll never see his posts again. It's like avoiding a channel if you don't like the show.
Old 05-07-2005, 09:25 PM
My EX got the Sleekcraft
Platinum Member

Ron P..

Which is the better photo op local at Marathon, from atop the bridge or from the VIP area??

Thanks

PS.. Where is best place to stay at Ft Meyers??
Old 05-07-2005, 10:04 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Ron P
Bruce, you know you can put him on ignore so you'll never see his posts again. It's like avoiding a channel if you don't like the show.

Done ...thankyou
Old 05-07-2005, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Marc ,
Come and see me in the pits when you get to Marathon, I have a place for you to take pics from that is unbelievable and I'll hook you up.The deal is you'll have to get some pics of my new boat for me!

Last edited by Xtremeracing; 05-08-2005 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:23 AM
Registered

I am a long time boater and race fan but very new to the " behind the scene " part of offshore racing. There are many things I have seen since Key West last year. First off I have met so many excellent people at SBI and OSS events, but each person has a bash to wards the other. If I sit down and ponder on each comment, everybody slams the other for the same reason not realizing they are all on common grounds. SBI and OSS people have the same goal but see an open wound on the other, so they throw salt on it. We are a new team " MOJO " trying to get as much experience as possible by racing as many venues as possible in both SBI and OSS with out bashing either side. OSS seems to provide and excellent event by getting the local media, business and public involved as much as possible while SBI keeps setting new guide lines and rules to stop teams from racing both classes. Now I come from the world of drag racing so I may be a bit ignorant but isn't it the racers and teams spending their hard earned money and valuable time to show up at an event that make a sport? Why should they be frowned upon from anybody that may profit in one way or another. That's kinda like having an employee that turns you excellent profit and works for nothing, but not putting them on the clock. We are not a political team and I have met many people that feel the same way. Is it so hard for the higher ups to sit down and try to reason. There are so many awesome teams, people and boats out there it would be possible for a 15 or so event year with another combined Worlds. Again I am a newbie and I know my opinion doesn't matter but I also feel I have no ego to distort my view. I am interested in meeting as many of you as possible so if you see MOJO come say hi!

Quick Reply: what is it that attracts to offshore racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.