Charter Member

Received 795 Likes on 258 Posts
Default Re: close call for JBS

F'n amazing. Glad everyone is well.
Old 06-14-2005, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For Lisa'a two cents.. All I remember is getting hit to the right of my canopy and seeing blue . I thought is was Lightning Strikes, but it turns out we got hit in several places by JBS. Right side Canopy, then the middle of the boat and then somehow on the back side and on top of the back hatch. They say it was JBS hitting us. All I knew was we had our arms, legs, and we still had motors running. Joey Gratton taught me a few things last week before the race about holding in the turns and what to do. Thank god I listened. Billy did a great job holding it together so we good continue on racing. I remember seeing the blue on my canaopy and feeling the hard impact thats about all. We called, our guys to see if everyone was all OK. and kept going to finish. Our boat was slowing down after each lap, but we wanting to finish for points. Some structure damage and we will be back to race. Doctors say I'll be fine , just a few brain cells lost ..haha... Really we are fine. Thank goodness for helmets, roll bars, canaopy, and know maybe a mouth piece...Boat is being repaired this week. The video Joe has from JBS is awesome. All three boats are lucky and we all are healthy and no one is hurt seriously. I'm home from the hospital and will be back to my normal self in a few more days.. I would like to see my inboard camera and Lightning Strikes and JBS all together. If the guys are listending lets exchange video's. I do remember going down the straight away before the accident and all 3 of us were running hard and it was racing..It was great to race and be competive in Ft, Myers. We had changed positions going down the straightaway and before the turn Lightning on the inside, Pier 57 /Twisted Metal in the middle/ and JBS on the outside. When I approached the turn no one was on my inside and Lightning strikes was behind us and JBS was way to the outside. So I approached the turn and held my lane. For Lightning Strikes and JBS, you guys are the best. It was racing and -hit happens. .
'Thank goodness all are safe...

Ps. Forgot my password for my log in name- so I used Billy's.
Lisa Matthews
Pier 57/Twisted metal motorsports
Old 06-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to hear from you too, Lisa.
Incredible how sh1t happens so fast. Get some rest.
Happy all are OK.

Glenn & Charlene
Old 06-15-2005, 07:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by SCRAPMAN1
For Lisa'a two cents.. All I remember is getting hit to the right of my canopy and seeing blue . I thought is was Lightning Strikes, but it turns out we got hit in several places by JBS. Right side Canopy, then the middle of the boat and then somehow on the back side and on top of the back hatch. They say it was JBS hitting us. All I knew was we had our arms, legs, and we still had motors running. Joey Gratton taught me a few things last week before the race about holding in the turns and what to do. Thank god I listened. Billy did a great job holding it together so we good continue on racing. I remember seeing the blue on my canaopy and feeling the hard impact thats about all. We called, our guys to see if everyone was all OK. and kept going to finish. Our boat was slowing down after each lap, but we wanting to finish for points. Some structure damage and we will be back to race. Doctors say I'll be fine , just a few brain cells lost ..haha... Really we are fine. Thank goodness for helmets, roll bars, canaopy, and know maybe a mouth piece...Boat is being repaired this week. The video Joe has from JBS is awesome. All three boats are lucky and we all are healthy and no one is hurt seriously. I'm home from the hospital and will be back to my normal self in a few more days.. I would like to see my inboard camera and Lightning Strikes and JBS all together. If the guys are listending lets exchange video's. I do remember going down the straight away before the accident and all 3 of us were running hard and it was racing..It was great to race and be competive in Ft, Myers. We had changed positions going down the straightaway and before the turn Lightning on the inside, Pier 57 /Twisted Metal in the middle/ and JBS on the outside. When I approached the turn no one was on my inside and Lightning strikes was behind us and JBS was way to the outside. So I approached the turn and held my lane. For Lightning Strikes and JBS, you guys are the best. It was racing and -hit happens. .
'Thank goodness all are safe...

Ps. Forgot my password for my log in name- so I used Billy's.
Lisa Matthews
Pier 57/Twisted metal motorsports
Glad to here you are OK Lisa...We were worried

Jeremy(The Mayor)Ruckhaber

JBS Racing
Old 06-15-2005, 07:28 AM
lightningmike

Pier 57 - Bob and I actually were not sure what happened until after the race and we spoke to the angel 1 helicopter. They were above us 3 during the accident. We were not sure who was to our port side going in to the turn? We knew that Pier 57 and JBS were battling on the outside and in previous laps were on our port side in the turns?
Bob and I lost radio communication on the first lap and were not able to communicate at all! The collission was a complete surprise to me, never saw it coming? We just thought that JBS was being aggressive and trying to shut the door on us in the corner? Angel 1 claims we shot in the air 30ft in a barrel roll, landing upside down first, skidding on the canopies and then continuing right side up? Bob and I looked out the canopies, we had to have been 50 yards plus from JBS, not even in a position to help if we had to.

We never knew that Pier 57 was even involved in the accident until we reached the wet pits? With no communications, we were in the dark before and after the collission. Fortunately our boat was still running after the barrel roll/flight, and we too finished the remaing 6 laps, taking on water, port trim tad ripped out of transom hanging, throttles ripped out of dash, no radios and saltwater blowing threw our air vents into our laps!
Glad everyone is ok, boat goes to Dr. Donzi today for repairs, we will be back racing by next race, no major set backs! Lisa, we did not have a on-board camera, which sucks, I would have love to see that footage!

Oh and Lisa.....we NEVER even came close to you....sorry you thought we hit you....we would never do such a thing. Wrong blue boat.

ALWAYS HOLD YOUR LANE!!! We did. It was some good deck to deck racing up to that point.

Old 06-15-2005, 07:45 AM
Registered

Glad to hear everyone is ok. Hope all are ready for Michigan.
Old 06-15-2005, 09:43 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

When did JBS catch on fire? After the accident or before?
Old 06-15-2005, 10:14 AM
oui
Registered

Makes you think twice about ever running a open cockpit boat again, especially after you witness a close call in F-1 in Orange Beach with Typhoon in '03.....
Old 06-15-2005, 12:45 PM
lightningmike

JBS caught on fire after the transom and trim tab of Lightning Strikes thrashed thru the JBS engine compartment, ripping the plenum off the stbd motor and causing a fuel fire. The fire was caused during the collission.

I can not vouch for what happen between Pier 57 and JBS? Lightning Strikes was just a victim of the circumstances, wrong place at the wrong time. JBS was sliding out of control into our path, thus us colliding into them. We never saw them coming until it was too late. We were still in the turn getting ready to round turn buoy 2.

Old 06-15-2005, 04:20 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy Re: close call for JBS

[QUOTE=Lightning JBS was sliding out of control into our path, thus us colliding into them. We never saw them coming until it was too late. We were still in the turn getting ready to round turn buoy 2.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like someone is still running out of control.

Why do you guys let someone like that race with you?

Last edited by ApachePete; 06-15-2005 at 04:26 PM.

Quick Reply: close call for JBS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.