Notices

rough or too rough

Old 05-01-2007, 09:22 PM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,737 Likes on 3,794 Posts

That might be why they are racing, to prove a point and the boats.
Old 05-01-2007, 11:21 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anything over 100 in the rough you end up being along for the ride. Lots of cussing and praying.

The spectaters cannot tell if the boats are doing 70 or 170.

The fans also like to see an underdog beat the rest. Rough water provides the equalizer.

pat W
Old 05-02-2007, 02:24 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

I didnīt say it takes any less skill to run a boat fast. What I was implying is that it takes a lot more skill to run a boat fast in rough water - itīs not just a matter of setting up the boat right with the right props/trim attitude etc. Itīs easy to push the throttles forward if thereīs not much else to do, but to respond to every wave with the wheel/throttles etc, and save the machinery, is to me where the really good players, like Tomlinson, Fiore etc, come into their own.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by littlenige
I didnīt say it takes any less skill to run a boat fast. What I was implying is that it takes a lot more skill to run a boat fast in rough water - itīs not just a matter of setting up the boat right with the right props/trim attitude etc. Itīs easy to push the throttles forward if thereīs not much else to do, but to respond to every wave with the wheel/throttles etc, and save the machinery, is to me where the really good players, like Tomlinson, Fiore etc, come into their own.
Just wondering how many Races you have competed in?

Gregg Reichman
Old 05-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by shifter
Anything over 100 in the rough you end up being along for the ride. Lots of cussing and praying.

The spectaters cannot tell if the boats are doing 70 or 170.

The fans also like to see an underdog beat the rest. Rough water provides the equalizer.

pat W
Pat:

I think that sometimes the water is an equalizer - but not for the reasons we are seeing in this thread. Once again, watching the boats bob around like corks at 70mph in 6 footers off Dania is about aas interesting as watching paint dry. I will always rememeber racing Supercat in 2000 at St Pete. Running around 130 at the start with 15 other supercats almost side by side hearded for the Pier - packed with Spactators - and we did that with 5 or 6 of them all race - you never would have had that dynamic in 6 footers, it would have been a boat parade at best.

Hell watching Reggie run 170 in his V Bottom all by himself a coiuple of years ago was a lot more impressive than watching the Miami Race - why? - the awesome speed... remeber the #1 question that the Fans ask about our boats.. how fast does it go?

Gregg Reichman
Old 05-02-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by bidpro
Just wondering how many Races you have competed in?

Gregg Reichman
None.
Old 05-02-2007, 12:58 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by littlenige
None.
Thank you for the honesty - tells me everything I need to know.

Gregg Reichman
Old 05-02-2007, 01:08 PM
Registered

To me, the hardest thing in racing is turning the boat in flat water at 150+. Its alot scarier than launching off a big wave.

St Cloud was more intense than Miami for us
Old 05-02-2007, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottB
To me, the hardest thing in racing is turning the boat in flat water at 150+. Its alot scarier than launching off a big wave.
Yeah, but you don't get more street cred than this...
Attached Thumbnails rough or too rough-scottb3_fw.jpg  
Old 05-02-2007, 02:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JohnS
Yeah, but you don't get more street cred than this...
I really think it is a matter of opinion. Have you ever even tried to turn a CAT over 130MPH - I do it every weekend - it is all about finesse, skill and a seat of your pants feeling of when the boat starts to "push back".

One could argue that launching off a 6 footer (like your Photo) in an open cockpit V Hull is more being along for the ride then controlling the outcome.

Gregg Reichman

Last edited by bidpro; 05-02-2007 at 05:18 PM.

Quick Reply: rough or too rough

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.