Notices

new Class 1 rules

Old 10-12-2008, 05:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new Class 1 rules

In an attempt to reduce costs and gain parity between Teams, UIM have adopted new rules being introduced in 2009, that use the 750 Supercat engine. The boats will also have to be max 11' 6" wide, between 38' and 43' long and must weigh 9000 lbs. This is a big step in bringing about an international supercat class.

Exist Class1 boats and the new boats will race together initially. It will be interesting to see how this develops over 2009 season.
Old 10-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Registered

Default The Class

FX here a copy of what was stated on the C1 website:

The key decisions taken at the meeting include:

- the introduction of a new engine-boat package, 11.5m – 13m in length, weighing 4100kgs running 790hp naturally aspirated engines, which has been designed using the same power to weight ratio as that of the existing Class 1 boats, looking at attracting the Australian Superboat and the American Supercat-type boats into Class 1.

as far as it being a 750 class engine spec, i not sure if thats how i read it. and also in the WPPA rules they can not run more than 10 to 1 compression on a N/A motor and 8.5 to 1 on a blower. plus i think they run a max of 95 octane fuel which would not work for the current supercat motor since they are 12 to 1 compression.

i don't know if the supercats of either class here in the us are up to that challenge to run against those guys.
they basically have budlite mystic sized cats runnning close to 160 mph with just 900 hp.
thats doing some serious homework.
Old 10-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Registered

Check out this article,

http://www.powerboat-world.com/Class...-era/46893/arc

"'....The 790hp V8 is widely used in the United States in the Supercat Class,' Barry-Cotter said...."

It appears that if not exactly the US 750 Supercat engine then a very close drivative.

Maritimo has already purchased 21 new and second-hand 790hp engines for its own and prospective customer use. And has 5 of the new psec hulls under construction for the 2009 season. The new class 1 Hull spec would allow the 388 Skater, 39 MTI and 38 DW.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:08 AM
Registered

let me know when your ready to pull those 850's, i got 2 750's ready just don't have a big enough DW to compete with !!!
Old 10-12-2008, 10:15 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the no carbon fiber rule will eliminate alot of the US boats right of the bat.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:21 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,296 Likes on 3,704 Posts

The question that may or may not be answered is who or what is driving this change, AS I can see Team Victory pretty happy with most of the results of the rules in place, other than global economy forcing non competitive teams to hang up their helmets.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:33 AM
Registered

Default 1st

Originally Posted by Pete B
The question that may or may not be answered is who or what is driving this change, AS I can see Team Victory pretty happy with most of the results of the rules in place, other than global economy forcing non competitive teams to hang up their helmets.
pete first place doesn't mean that much when your the only guys out there. i think that this is the biggest problem we have in the US for racing. everyone whats to win so to make em happy we have a bunch of classes.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:36 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

I see at as a compromise by the european Class 1 teams to attract more teams. Obviously the Victory, Qatar and even teams like Jotun and Negotioator don't need the changes to stay competitive, the have the funds, but I think they see the writing on the wall that it may just be them racing in the not too distant future without new teams from Australia/NZ and the US. I also see it as an olive branch to Maritimo so Bill will bring his boats back and more teams with him.

Will it work? I think the teams that are already building boats in Austrailia will obviously come over and that in itself will put Class 1 back over 10 boats. I don't see many US teams jumping at the chance to travel abroad just quite yet. Especially if all the bigger, more powerful boats are grandfathered in for a time.

If anything, this will be great for Mercury and Sterling, those teams will buy all the engines that can get their hands on.
Old 10-12-2008, 10:48 AM
Charter Member#203
Charter Member

Received 14,296 Likes on 3,704 Posts

Originally Posted by skaterdave
pete first place doesn't mean that much when your the only guys out there. i think that this is the biggest problem we have in the US for racing. everyone whats to win so to make em happy we have a bunch of classes.
I hate to differ on this but,
to convince many less funded teams that they have a chance just plays into a agenda. To the top tier Class one teams $$$ is no object.
Old 10-12-2008, 11:15 AM
A to Z
Platinum Member

I hate to differ on this but,
to convince many less funded teams that they have a chance just plays into a agenda. To the top tier Class one teams $$$ is no object.
I have no doubt there is an agenda (more boats). There is also no doubt that the top teams spending will not change all that much. Testing new hulls, new setups, new parts all takes great resources. There will be more teams racing, but I don't see the podiums changing too much. The showing up price will be dramatically reduced, but the running up front price won't be.

I still think it is a step in the right direction.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/s...d.php?t=194384

Quick Reply: new Class 1 rules

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.