Notices

throttling

Old 03-28-2011, 12:05 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default throttling

Good afternoon, real breifly; I've been an Cheif Engineer in the Merchant Marines now for 12 years and I'm getting board with it. My passion has always been powerboats and while having never had the plesure of owning one I have been around, under, over and through plenty. I want to learn how to throttle a race boat; I mean I know how and have done it on a very small scale, but I want someone to teach me; I'd like to be good at it and feel as though I have the quick wit, reaction time, understanding of trim, ballist, fuel load, sea conditions, etc that are needed as fundimentals. Basically I'd like to race w someone. I'm still relatively young and fit @ 36 so I've got a little time left ahead of me.. Where do I start? I've got some vacation time to use and would be willing to travel on my own dime just about anywhere. I realize this may appear at first glance as off the wall but this is somthing I am very serious about. Any help would be kindly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. Feel free to pm me with any questions, concerns or otherwise.
-Corey
Old 03-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Registered

Welcome Corey,I hope you realize what you may be getting yourself into.This is a disease that should be taken very seriously.Once infected you cannot get rid of it,There is no cure.No drug,no excercise not even psychotherapy will be able to help you.It may go into remission at times but you cannot control the flare-ups.You will feel the need to tell your friends,family and even your grand children about this continuously.It will dwarf all other memories for the rest of you life.I hope you realize what you are getting yourself into!!!!!
Old 03-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ChineWalker
Good afternoon, real breifly; I've been an Cheif Engineer in the Merchant Marines now for 12 years and I'm getting board with it. My passion has always been powerboats and while having never had the plesure of owning one I have been around, under, over and through plenty. I want to learn how to throttle a race boat; I mean I know how and have done it on a very small scale, but I want someone to teach me; I'd like to be good at it and feel as though I have the quick wit, reaction time, understanding of trim, ballist, fuel load, sea conditions, etc that are needed as fundimentals. Basically I'd like to race w someone. I'm still relatively young and fit @ 36 so I've got a little time left ahead of me.. Where do I start? I've got some vacation time to use and would be willing to travel on my own dime just about anywhere. I realize this may appear at first glance as off the wall but this is somthing I am very serious about. Any help would be kindly appreciated. Thanks in advance for your time and consideration. Feel free to pm me with any questions, concerns or otherwise.
-Corey
Go to a race and introduce yourself to the teams and ask questions. We all love to talk shop.

Rich
Joker Powerboats 611
OPA
Old 03-29-2011, 06:00 AM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks SB and Heater, thanks for the words of wisdom! Being involved really is my dream! I'm ready to do this; I've got a valid passport, speak spanish, have been all over the world and don't have any problem picking up and going...
Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 AM
DriverofDonzi
Gold Member

CW,

That is what I am going through the same thing. I start getting involved with offshore boat racing in 2006 and decided that I want to become first Deaf Driver to win race, win national and world championship. Yes, I am deaf. I stopped by many teams and talked about boat racing. Today, I am with JD BYRIDER Racing owned by Tony M. I usually hang out at that site alot. Never know if Tony needs a backup driver, who knows? Maybe, Maybe not. I learned soooo much from him for last 3 years ( gonig on 4 this July!) Wish you good luck with your searching.

Whatever happens at racing, stay at racing!

Chris
Old 03-29-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

driver of donzi that is awesome that you drive that boat. iwould love to get involved even if it is washing. mechanic or something in the pits to help out a team. my boat is only 21ft so to small to race and i have have of my insides removed due to colitis,colon cancer,chrons, adhesions etc. god bless ya keep up the good work
Old 03-29-2011, 09:08 AM
DriverofDonzi
Gold Member

I have not driven a raceboat just yet.....Just still needing to learn more before stepping into the raceboat and see how it feels when on high speed. I currently own F-14 Sea Rayder with 120 hp jet engine, can push up to 50 mph, even on rough waves. these are tooo easy for me. I am looking for more fun and competition.

Chris
Old 03-29-2011, 10:17 AM
Registered

All kidding aside Chinewalker,call Chris Reindl of Reindl powerboats and race a bat boat.Thats how I got infected
Old 03-29-2011, 12:42 PM
DriverofDonzi
Gold Member

Yes yes....That's it...I was trying to remember the name of boat racing.....He's right..contact Chris Reindl!

Chris
Old 03-29-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

I love the attitude! You are on the right path with your desires. I dont want to sugar coat it. Racing takes 2 thing's, money or dedication and mechanical ability.
A true story: Aprox 12 years ago I wanted to race boats in the worst way. In NJ the point race is big and just being there with the teams watching was big to me. I was just like you all saying how do I get involved with a team. I went to a race awards banquet and met several teams. I told every team that if they ever needed a crew guy Im there guy. I begged a team with a owner named John Wooley from Lightening Jacks that Im his guy if he needs a crew guy or test piolet. At that time he just got a race boat from Donzi called "Dam Donzi". One day before a race I called and asked if I could help him at a point Pleasant race and he said yes come down and you can change my oil. Let me tellyou I was the happyist guy a live to be able to change the oil on a race boat. At the race site he let me drive his other boat from the crane to Jack Bakers. I thought I was on seventh heaven just being able to park the race boat. That same year I got the call from John on my family vacation to see if I was available to drive the boat in a real race. I asked my wife if I could leave the vacation to do my dream and she said ok. I was willing to leave my vacation and my wife was as well. I was amped and ready to leave and found out at the last min. I was replaced.
This is my 13th season racing now and I always remember the path it took to be here. I had no money but I had a desire to race boats. I FOUND A WAY to make it happen!!!
Team owners know who is willing to sacrifice what it takes to be a racer. If you have no money you better bring something to the table. Sorry for rehashing my adventure if its not for you. Same story for every racer I know. Notice I said racer. There is a difference between racer and someone who just has money and want's to be recognized as a racer. Man up and go after your dream. Call Henderson for details.
MD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.