Mercury/Vortec and APBA

Notices

Mercury/Vortec and APBA

Old 01-20-2003, 02:42 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercury/Vortec and APBA

Anyone completely understand what is going on with APBA, GM and Mercury? Is Mercury still a sponsor? Will the parity change since there are now 2 engines allowed? And 1 more question, do you feel this is going to open doors for other engine builders in the future. Just curious, and I would think it is very important for APBA to get all the information out ASAP as so a Team wanting to race in future will know what they need, to be competitive, less costly and around in the future. Any info?
Old 01-20-2003, 03:55 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Micklos has been working very hard on keeping this to as close racing as possable.They understand what this can do to Factory racing and are doing there best to keep it equal.It has to happen sooner or later to keep up with tecnolagy and new products.They did a good job going from the 500 carb to the 500EFI so I am confedent they will do the same.My gut feeling is the older 500 models will be faster untill the new Vortec and 525 EFI motors are set up and that could take most of the year!
Randy
Old 01-20-2003, 04:00 PM
F1 RADIOACTIVE

Talking

THATS WHAT IM COUNTING ON .

KEVIN
F1-46

Old 01-20-2003, 06:53 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Would just hate to see these classes die. I raced 5 years in B class and it continued to die each year. Raced a 1 1/2 in F2 and it was by far the best racing I had ever seen. Last year the field had diminished and I can only see this doing it some more. My .02
Old 01-20-2003, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Bruce there is always that chance.Let go another direction,who is not coming back to F1 next year?And if so does it have ANYTHING to do with the new rules or gust changing class or out for other reasons.
The only boat I know of is Chicks Beach Fountain that has nothing to do with rules.Any others?1 new team screaming eagles in a new Warlock.Any others?
Randy
Old 01-20-2003, 07:58 PM
xtremeracingf1

Randy,
The rule change is the worst thing that APBA can do now.They always wanted to keep the factory class as even as possible and now they have four different HP engines.The only winner in this is APBA because of the pay offs from GMC. The only losers are the racers as always.You tell me what sence all of this make or one good reason for it.If you have to run extra wieght to slow you down then why put an engine in the class that has motor HP.When your done your right back where you started and spent thousands of dollars for what.They ***** and mad major rule changes to few years ago to slow down some boats. But now its OK be it what they want.Doesnt anyone else see whats happening here.
Another interesting thing is that Inovation is build the engine and also the CRE.That the fox watching the chickens.I know if I was running a Merc I dont be to happy about that.Give that some thought!Factory class was created around 500's and should stay that way to make it a true factory class.If they want to intrduce that 525 and hp3 they need to have a different class.
I dont know call me crazy but something stinks here........

Frank

Old 01-20-2003, 09:27 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a natural occurence for technology to move forward, to get better. The fact that GM jumped into the game proves that they were smart enough to see the writing on the wall. It is a proving ground for their product. That should make Mercury happy as they still buy motors from them.
The 502 base motor is old (proven) technology that is being phased out due to the newer 8.1 liter base motor. You can't expect that the 502 will be around forever. Unforunately, you as the racers are caught up in the transition. You are a small group of people in the grand scheme of things. You can't expect things to remain the same or the sport will not advance. If you want things not to change, go Hydroplane racing. Their still running Pinto engines for God's sake.
As for Mercury being a sponsor, they will always be a major sponsor. Their presence in the performance marine community is strong, hell the strongest. The more major sponsors APBA can sign on will only make the sport progress sooner, hence GM Vortec's entrance.
Factory racing is to popular to go away. It is some of the best racing out there with more than 4 teams competing at an event. Unlike other classes (don't get me started). Don't forget that we are in a down turned economy and that it could have a bearing on what you may see for racer turn out.There has always been a turn over with Offshore Racing teams. It is an expensive sport with few rewards (monetary). People give it a shot, have their fun, blow their wad, and move on. A sport of Kings you might say.
BJ Maher is a perfect example. It's not that he doesn't like racing or that he's not competitive at it, but that maybe it's becoming cost prohibitive for him to continue. I hope he doesn't mind me using him as an example. Man, I find it hard for me just to keep my pleasure boating fix justified.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:22 PM
xtremeracingf1

Technology does move on but why change a class that is so dialed in.Whats next 575's with 600lbs added.Still doesnt make any sence the 500efi are still in production.The class was built for a certain size boat and a certain speed.I argee in is a great proving ground for GMC but at the exspence of the racers and possible the exspence of killing a class.If they change thier minds extra year what do we do then.The class was never designed for 90MPH F1 boats.The rules can change but not a class.If they want to run HP3 & 525's start another class,like they ran the Vortec last year.
Your missing the point its all about money and none of it is for the racers.There is still no information aviable about the new HP-3 program.I spoke to Inovation today and they still dont have a clue whats up yet.Does not sound like they have thier act together to me yet.No one even know how well they will hold up and if parts are aviable for them yet,its not like your dealing with a manufactor like Merc.Lot of unknows yet and again the racers will pay the price and APBA ends up with the money.Its amazing none of the other classes have old technology just Factory class.
If its not broken dont fix it.They can go and experement somewhere else.

Old 01-21-2003, 12:03 AM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Frank,
The Factory Class was started in 1997. It has run successfully for 6 years. The phasing in of another "proven performer" is exactly what this sport needs. You can still run an HP500. What is the problem? Do you honestly think that the HP500 is it for Factory Class racing? Your beloved Mercury is already selling 8.1 Liter engines to the performance boating community. You seem to forget where the 502 base motor originally came from. Mercury buys their engines from GM. What happens when Mercury no longer supplies you with the HP500/502 base motor? It is bound to happen and will. I wouldn't be surprised if they are already working on it's replacement using the 8.1 liter base motor. It's only a matter of time my friend.
Your suggestion of starting another class for the HP3 only shows your ignorance for the growth of the sport. It (the HP3) is not a detriment to the class or the sport, only the next step.
Your statement of "No one knows if they will hold up". Talk to any SVL racer, talk to Rick Turmel, Nigel Hook, anyone who campaigned that engine. No negative feedback.
When there are no more HP500's to be had, and everyone else is running the newest thing, you can always race "P Class" with your cherished HP500.
Old 01-21-2003, 05:06 AM
xtremeracingf1

I guess all we can do is see how it plays out.No one can still give me the reason for changing the rules in a class.I have nothing againts GMC you are missing the point.If they(GMC) had a engine thats HP fit in the class that would be great,the more the merry.But what sence does it make to change the rule to allow a engine with 25 hp. more. I dont care if its the GMC or the new Merc 525.We can talk about this at the end of the year and see how it plays out and what it does to the class. The numbers in Factory 1and 2 are getting smaller and smaller every year and part of that is the constant change of the rules.
I hope you are right and we get more entrys this year and some great racing that the factory classes have shown in the past.

Quick Reply: Mercury/Vortec and APBA

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.