KW Racing Question ? >

KW Racing Question ?

Notices

KW Racing Question ?

Old 10-03-2003, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question KW Racing Question ?

I am still going to KW as planned. We are traveling to Mexico after KW and we could not change that plan. (What the hell KW is still a great place to vacation anyway)

I am hearing thru the jungle drums that some racers may continue on down to KW anyway after OB, since they are in the area.

Is there any truth to this?

I sincerely hope there is, I would love to see a good race down there.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:04 PM
Registered

Nobody's going to KW????

Looks like I'll have the whole place to myself
Old 10-03-2003, 05:08 PM
Charter Member #71
Charter Member

Received 14 Likes on 3 Posts

Everybodys over in Lauderdale this weekend. I'll guess several teams from LLC and SBI will attend...but who knows???

Dan
F1 83 Screamin Eagle
Old 10-04-2003, 09:15 AM
Registered

this sucks...we were planning on going the kw for the races...and get a lil r&r while we are there...kw is the best place to go...whats the deal.
Old 10-04-2003, 03:39 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

We're still going to KW with a bunch of folks. Don't worry you won't be alone. And if a boat race pops up to inturupt our drinking and scuba fun, we'll be there to see it.
----------------------------------------------------------
This story published on Thu, Oct 2, 2003
Power-boat race faces tourism funding review

BY MANDY BOLEN

keysnews.com

ROB O'NEAL/The Citizen
Power boats compete in Key West Harbor in the APBA power-boat races November 2002. This year's race will take place under a different name because the race is not sanctioned by the APBA, prompting tourism officials to revise an $85,000 contract with the organizer.

KEY WEST -- When tourism officials in Key West agreed to support the November power-boat races with $85,000, they were under the impression the races would be sanctioned by the American Power Boat Association.

But the announcement two weeks ago that disputes with local race promoter Lee Mills had led the APBA to move its world championship races to Alabama forced the Monroe County Tourist Development Council to re-evaluate its $85,000 contract with Mills. He owns Offshore Worlds and is still planning to hold power-boat races in the Key West Harbor the second week of November.

Key West Offshore Worlds, being produced and promoted by Mills, will feature power boats and races, but the winner of those races will not be the true world champions, according to the APBA.

Although Mills has expressed confidence in the number of boats that will participate in this year's event, and pledged participation from boats previously excluded due to APBA regulations, the formal contract stipulates that in order to receive funding, the races must be sanctioned by the APBA.

The tourist council met Wednesday at the Grand Key Resort and discussed the power-boat races at the request of Chairman Michael Ingram.

"We received a legal opinion that something had to be done about the contract," Ingram said, explaining that DAC 1, the District Advisory Council that controls the purse strings for TDC dollars in Key West, will have to either rescind the contract or revise it. "The DAC 1 has to draw up a new contract if they elect to keep supporting the event."

Mills emphasized Wednesday that he is still planning a successful race week in Key West, and also said he has been discussing sanctioning possibilities with the APBA in Detroit, which is in the midst of complicated litigation.

Until that litigation is settled, Mills said, no races are being sanctioned by the APBA, including the races that were moved to Alabama.

"As of now, no race promoters have been sanctioned," Mills said. "And I've elected to stay out of the politics and litigation."

The new contract negotiations will give DAC 1 members an opportunity to make stipulations and requirements of Mills and the events, said Harold Wheeler, marketing director for the TDC.

For example, DAC 1 may require Mills to guarantee a certain number of participating boats, or a certain number of occupied hotel rooms during race week, Wheeler said.

He explained that Mills received a turnkey contract as opposed to a destination contract, so he is not slated to receive the $85,000 until the specified event is produced and meets all criteria set forth in the contract.

A destination contract means that all TDC money allocated for an event will be spent on advertising that event, thereby advertising Key West as a destination, so applicants receive that funding prior to the event date, Wheeler said.

Wheeler was working Wednesday to schedule an emergency DAC 1 meeting to deal with changes to the contract, and plans to hear presentations then, from Mills. Lodging industry officials also will be scheduled to discuss any cancellations that have resulted from the lack of APBA sanctioning.

"Key West will still have a race -- a great race -- promoted by Lee Mills, who is a Key West resident," said Peter Ilchuk, president of the Lodging Association of the Florida Keys and Key West. "And we continue to have great confidence in Mills and his ability to throw a great race week in Key West."

Ilchuk also said he will be traveling to Fort Lauderdale Friday to meet with power-boat fans and racers to gauge their reactions and clarify any misinformation about Key West races.