Notices

OPA Race Meeting

Old 12-15-2003, 01:04 PM
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OPA Race Meeting

Just wanted to thank everyone who attended. It was great to see everyone again. We felt the meeting was very productive, and came out of there with a lot to think about. I have to laugh, last year we were scrambling to get 12 boats to our first race, now we are trying to figure out what to do with them all. This all comes not only from the hard work of OPA and The Jersey Boyz, but each and every racer that entered one of our events. The biggest asset we have, is the family atmosphere that has grown to be a part of us all. From the Wazzup Crew to you all, Have a Happy Holidays, and may Santa put a Skater under your tree. Ed and Anthony.

Last edited by Wazzup Racing; 12-15-2003 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 01:12 PM
Registered

Default Meeting minutes

It was great to see everyone again. For most, it was only a month or maybe less. But for others it was a couple of months. Maybe next year we should schedule a christmas party so we can all hang out and have some fun.

anyway , I would just like to express my response to the meeting's discussions.

At first, I was concerned that we would not really get the meeting started because many people were having their reunions and separate discussions, many of which were brought up at the meeting. I've had the opportunity to speak with many guys throughout the day and have heard many of their concerns for the upcoming season.

the schedule, is great to see we have some possible new Venues, and hopefully will attract more boats. there may be some conflict with other associations, but we will all have to pick the races that work best for our teams. Our priority is with OPA because that is our hometown club.

Congrats to all the high points winners.

there was not too much critique regarding the 2003 season. Speed enforcement and equipment specs Primarily in P-5 were dicussed. And, as dicussed most of the P-5 teams would like to see a cap of 28' length and single engine. I know this may not suit all teams, but we will turn many smaller boats away if we dont have this cap.

it was also brought up that GPS units WILL be used on all boats in conjunction with average lap speeds. And, as I understand it, Your average lap speed will be 10MPH less that your maximum allowed speed. ie: P-5 , Max speed 70 mph, avg lap speed 60. If either of these are exceeded, your boat will be penalized by dropping to the bottom of the finishing order. There will be NO DQ for this infraction. The same works for every class.

It was further discussed, that each team will be responsible for a one time seasonal charge of $150.00 for the GPS units. You will not own the units as they will be turned in after each race and you will recieve a different unit at every race.

I personally have a problem with this. I think that the $150 charge is acceptable only as a one time charge, as long as the team maintains its membership in the following season. If a team chooses not to race next season and then comes back the following season, they should be required to pay the $150 again. additionally, has anyone contacted local suppliers for contingency sponsorship in an effort to either bring the GPS costs down and/ or provide them for free? Its not the amount of money that bothers me, its just the reocurring charge that I feel is unreasonable.

What are your thoughts???

As far as the SOBs, they had a great show of support and were welcomed by most. My feeling is that they have alot to contribute to the show as long as SAFETY and existing team costs are not compromised. So, as long as you can somehow cover the additional expenses to run a seperate SAFE race. Cmon down. We would love to have ya.

The final decision is obviously up to the board members. Im just speaking on behalf of myself and Im sure many will agree.

I Look forward to seeing everyone at the awards party February 21. the location is TBD, but no one will get seasick. That is already guaranteed.

Happy Holidays to everyone.

be safe

if you drink and drive, make sure you have a car.

Old 12-15-2003, 02:29 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I think Ed meant to say "A Skater under your tree".

Ed, they won't let you buy one until you can spell it correctly.
Old 12-15-2003, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Merry Christmas & Happy Holidays All!

Old 12-15-2003, 02:48 PM
Registered

Originally posted by Ron P
I think Ed meant to say "A Skater under your tree".

Ed, they won't let you buy one until you can spell it correctly.

Exactly...if you cant spell it, you cant afford it.
Old 12-15-2003, 03:17 PM
packinair

Ron i missed the miss print does that mean i will not receive a skeeter under my tree ? Ron with friend's like you were better off calling you on the phone you don't record the call's do you

Old 12-15-2003, 06:29 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts

Hi Everyone,

It was great to see the turn out that we had at last Saturday's meeting!
I thought the meeting went well.
I am in agreement on capping P5 to no larger than 28' or 29' boat length. I'm also in agreement on the single engine aspect as well!!
Having a sealed GPS on each boat is something that we asked for all last season & I'm glad to see it! However, I'm not sure about having the average lap speed as part of the equation, but we will see how it works out!
As far as those S.O.B.s go, the more we have to offer the fans the better, provided....it can be done safely without having any adverse consequences for OPA.
Running a seperate race I think would be the way to go!

TomR
P5-15 "Sonic Boom Racing"

Last edited by TomR; 12-15-2003 at 07:16 PM.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:39 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like everything went well. I hope everyone marks their calendar for Sept 24-26 in Cambridge MD.
We are looking forward to an even bigger and more exciting race in 2004. And if all goes well we should have a bigger purse than last year. Looking forward to seeing everyone soon.
Old 12-15-2003, 07:48 PM
VIP Member

Default Ted

With a race site like that it has to be bigger next year. You Know we'll be there. Ed
Old 12-16-2003, 10:47 AM
Superboat

Thumbs down Re: Meeting minutes

Originally posted by BRUCE SEROFF
it was also brought up that GPS units WILL be used on all boats in conjunction with average lap speeds. And, as I understand it, Your average lap speed will be 10MPH less that your maximum allowed speed. ie: P-5 , Max speed 70 mph, avg lap speed 60. If either of these are exceeded, your boat will be penalized by dropping to the bottom of the finishing order. There will be NO DQ for this infraction. The same works for every class.

What are your thoughts???
I was unable to attend last week’s meeting, but I would like to comment on the proposed rule changes regarding GPS units being installed on the boats.

I agree with having a GPS installed on the boat. It makes it virtually impossible for anyone to cheat. It is the ten-mile an hour slower average speed that I have a real problem with. I believe that it is going to create havoc for just some of the following reasons:

1. In a calm water race you can run wide open thus having a higher average speed.

2. Certain water conditions might favor a certain hull design thus creating a high average speed.

3. It would create a safety issue should you require racers to keep track of their average speed and run the boat at the same time.

4. Consider this: Two boats are running neck and neck . The maximum allowed average speed in their class is 70 mph (top speed 80). The best team crosses the finish line first with an average lap speed of 70.3 mph and the second place boat finishes at 70 mph. The second place boat wins the race. Need I say more?

I personally will NOT bring my boat or endorse a rule like this, and I am sure others will feel the same. The OPA has a good roll going. Don’t kill it now.

John Coen
Superboat Powerboats
(631) 226-1761
http://www.superboatonline.com

Quick Reply: OPA Race Meeting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.