Constructive Thread/racing >

Constructive Thread/racing

Notices

Constructive Thread/racing

Old 12-30-2003, 10:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Honesty is best medicine!

Honesty in the sport needs to come to the forefront.
To many times in the last year and maybe more, the racers and members of the APBA have been lied to for one reason or another. Personal agenda's have torn apart an organization that has a 100 yr history. I read in this months Propeller, APBA is the holder of the oldest trophy in motor sports period, the the Gold Cup. It is being sent back to the manufacturer to be restored.

Lets see if we can restore the sport of Power Boat Racing. Lets work together to be honest with each other, share our goals for the future. Check your ego at the door and come down of your high horse, treat everyone with respect and show the fans and sponsors the sport is bigger than one category, class or team. I would like to see new idea's and new people involved in every aspect of boat racing and my ballot for APBA Bod & Council reflects this.

I don't have the luxury of having lot's of disposable income, but as my wife and daughter can attest most of my free time and some of my not so free time has been spent on the sport of boat racing. If you love the sport as much as I have come to love it don't abandon it, embrace it and show the sponsors and sanctioning bodies that we can come together as racers and have some fun, because if your not having fun why do it.

Just my humble opinion
Matthew Barrett
Old 12-31-2003, 04:39 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts
Default SOB's

Add the "True Entry Level" racing class of Single Outboard Vee Bottoms 21' to 24' and keep it affordable for the new racers to come race. We all know what happens once you get hooked onto this sport....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 12-31-2003, 06:55 AM
Registered

When you show up at the race, leave your "Ego" at the pit gate.
Vinny
Old 12-31-2003, 07:01 AM
Registered

Whatever Sanctioning body you chose to race, its your business and you have your reasons. Stop talking bad about the others. In the end, the strong will survive until the next debacle
Old 01-02-2004, 08:23 AM
Registered

To elaborate on Mark's post, I agree with the post from a national (Pro) perspective, less pro classes to contend with . But I think the APBA did a good job of this by running the "Pro" classes on Sunday.

In addition to that, the backbone of NASCAR is Saturday night racing (i.e. entry level). This is what needs development. If there are not 30-50 boats showing up to every POPRA, GLCS, OPA event, where are the "pros" of tomorrow going to come from.

Just my .02
Rick
Old 01-02-2004, 09:11 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Unification would be nice, but is not needed.

Never bash another racer or race group, it hurts everyone. Mostly yourself.

Make sure the fun factor stays high at all times. If your not having fun, why are you racing?

Practice your interviews. If you're lucky enough to have a TV camera in your face, say something interesting.

If your not happy with a certain sanctioning body, don't come on here and tear them up. Find another one that is more to your liking and move on.....
Old 01-02-2004, 12:42 PM
Allan4

Lots of great ideas on here, especially from Ron, Mark and Phantom..in my opnion.

Here is my .02...I have been very fortunate to grow up in and around NASCAR Winston Cup Racing. More-so from the business aspect then the tech aspect, which makes my experiences even more unique from certain vantage points, less unique from others. Now, I certainly do not have all the answers, but to me, we have the perfect benchmark in NASCAR. We are nuts not to use this to our advantage. They run 13 series in the USA....they are masters at promotions and putting on a good show. I see SO MANY things that work well for them that Offshore racing does not implement...and quite frankly, I think it is mostly due to the distain of some in the direction of stock car racers, more than the rejection of what will-or-will not work. I think that is silly.

When they put on a show...EVERYTHING is on time. Everything is black and white. If it is scheduled, it happens. Period. They have a uniformed schedule at each race. Everything is orderly, clean, classy and done to perfection. If there ever was a pinnalce, this is it. Race fans do not want to stand around for 45 minutes wondering when the race is going to start, it makes us look disrespectful of thier time, support and $. It makes us look unprofessional...as does canceling race dates. That is a MUST NOT DO.

The NASCAR team members are professionals who race for a living and their livelyhood depends on success, both on and off the race course. So, they have to do things right..all the time. There by, they must have the interview process down pat (like Ron said, practice, it is harder to get all the sponsor names into an interview than you would think ). They represent thier sponsors better than some of them would represent themselves. I rarely see boat drivers mention sponsors or put on a sponsor's hat for some national tv exposure. Why not? This is the perfect instance to help bring more $$ into the sport.

In NASCAR, everything is based around boosting image, which boosts fan support and ultimately boosts sponsorship sales, brings more $$ into the sport...and....the realtionship builds from there. They treat fans with enormous respect, even if they are in a bad mood, or they just wrecked or they do not feel like it (ofcourse there are exceptions). They take the time to look out for the betterment of the sport. Everyone is on the same page, it is a singleminded approach to growth and prosperity. When was the last time you heard a CUP driver make fun of or chastize the ARCA series? The drivers are the primary focus of all promotions, merchandising and interest...and they know that. Alot of driver's take speech lessons to practice public speaking, they are coached at this as they are driving. It, agian, all goes back to image.

If we all think in a little different manner, I think we can see great improvements. We are not talking about major overhuals, just a matter of doing things right, on time, with class...that's really about it. Put on a SHOW, not a race. NASCAR is SO fan freindly...one if it's major appeals and a big part of creating brand loyalty. When was the last time you, as on Offshore racer, offered to give autographs? Just put a Sharpie in your pocket and be accessable with the folks at the race. What about autograph tents or autograph signing sessions that are scheduled and annouced to the fans...then followed thru on? Make it MANDATORY for all racers to attend at some point and time...just like 1/2 hour or so...it would do wonders for the image of the sport. It may be mostly kids, but they have parents who will spend $$ and build brand loyalty. It may sound silly, but that is one way the loyalty is built (and winning certainly don't hurt ). Treat the fans with huge respect. There is a reason why NASCAR teams that have not won a race in 10 years still sign $15 million/year sponsorhip packages. It is the promotion OFF the track that has created this...again..all goes back to how you treat and respect the fans, sport and sponsors.

I think our prerace ceremonies in Offshore racing have ALOT to be left desired. Infact...we have no ceremony. We are missing out on a perfect opportunity. Why do we not have driver introductions or the National Anthem, pre race? What about flyovers, parachuters, free style jet skiers or wakeboarders...etc. Why do we not have a "Drivers....start your engines!!" There is no aura or excitement created around the start of our races...we do not give anyone a reason to be anxious about seeing this race. The fans look out and just see some boats driving around...it makes for no drama...no story line....NO SHOW. Heck, I think the Choppers buzzing around is just as cool as the race sometimes!! Build on that!! When NASCAR realized they were in the entertainment business, not the racing business....they went ballistic in growth. I think...I KNOW we need that in Offshore Racing. Hell, I'm a Offshore racer and I just learned on this thread we have the oldest trophy in Motorsports. That sort of stuff needs to be promoted! As well, I think the American flags on the bow is a GREAT jesture, but why have we not promoted the sport as ALL AMERICAN? Race fans eat that stuff up!!

Did you know that NASCAR is the only sport in the USA that has a prayer over the PA system prior to the race?

History....NASCAR...running moonshine.....OFFSHORE BOATS...running dope!! (atleast some of the boats and engineering). Everyone knows about the NASCAR history, no one knows about the Offshore history, and I think that is our faults. Our history is dramatic as hell and should be promoted...it worked for NASCAR!!

Why are the drivers TV or radio interviews not done right after a race when the boat pulls into the pits? I know for me I would give a much more animated interview right then than I would 2 hours post race. Helmet pops off and the driver, with sweaty hair and full of emotion tells you what just happened 3 minutes ago..that is 10 TIMES more exciting to watch than waiting for 2 hours. What about prerace interviews in the pits while the driver is getting into the boat, or, better yet...sitting in the boat. Give the fans at home somebody to relate to, somebody to cheer for, not just some boat. Watch the race team website hits increase after this takes place...!! I'm tellin ya, fans love this stuff.

So....sorry about the long post, and PLEASE do not misintepret my post as me banging on anyone or any Offshore racing people or promoters, I am apart of this stuff as well. I am not trying to make the APBA or GLSCS, etc...NASCAR, I am just trying to offer good ideas that are proven to work in the fastest growing spectator sport in America. Yes, I have only been around offshore racing for about 2 years, but I have seen what does and does not work as far as promotions in motorsports. I do not know it all, not even close, but I have some idea, I think anyway And my ideas are not necessarily original...the NASCAR boys have been doing this stuff for over 20 years.

We need to be conscious of putting on a show as apposed a race...and that means as drivers and team owners and crew members...we need to do things on raceweekend that perhaps we think are a pain in the rear...but if it improves the sport, then it must be done....that could also make the difference between racing for $2k to racing for $10k in a few short years.

Thanks for listening to my rambling, sorry it is so dang long.

Allan Hilsinger
Hilsinger Motorsports, LLC
P5-48 Offshore Racing

Old 01-02-2004, 01:21 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Well said Allen4!
Many of the ideas you've outlined don't even cost money. I still have my race programs from the mid 70's, autographed by Aoki, Halpern, Martin, Elswick, Arneson, Cook and many others. Perhaps that is one reason I'm still following the sport today.
Hope to see you on the race course!
Bob
P5-? Pit Lizard
OPA
Old 01-02-2004, 01:30 PM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Do not outlaw manufactures.

There is always references to Nascar and reality is the rules are like Iroc. Nobody watches or cares about Iroc.

Has anyone counted how many engine manufactures there are in Nascar?

Unless you open the rules to allow for any boat, engine, transmission, drive and proppeller companies to compete the sport will not grow.

Pat Weismann
Old 01-02-2004, 03:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally posted by Allan4
Lots of great ideas on here, especially from Ron, Mark and Phantom..in my opnion.

Here is my .02...I have been very fortunate to grow up in and around NASCAR Winston Cup Racing. More-so from the business aspect then the tech aspect, which makes my experiences even more unique from certain vantage points, less unique from others. Now, I certainly do not have all the answers, but to me, we have the perfect benchmark in NASCAR. We are nuts not to use this to our advantage. They run 13 series in the USA....they are masters at promotions and putting on a good show. I see SO MANY things that work well for them that Offshore racing does not implement...and quite frankly, I think it is mostly due to the distain of some in the direction of stock car racers, more than the rejection of what will-or-will not work. I think that is silly.

When they put on a show...EVERYTHING is on time. Everything is black and white. If it is scheduled, it happens. Period. They have a uniformed schedule at each race. Everything is orderly, clean, classy and done to perfection. If there ever was a pinnalce, this is it. Race fans do not want to stand around for 45 minutes wondering when the race is going to start, it makes us look disrespectful of thier time, support and $. It makes us look unprofessional...as does canceling race dates. That is a MUST NOT DO.

The NASCAR team members are professionals who race for a living and their livelyhood depends on success, both on and off the race course. So, they have to do things right..all the time. There by, they must have the interview process down pat (like Ron said, practice, it is harder to get all the sponsor names into an interview than you would think ). They represent thier sponsors better than some of them would represent themselves. I rarely see boat drivers mention sponsors or put on a sponsor's hat for some national tv exposure. Why not? This is the perfect instance to help bring more $$ into the sport.

In NASCAR, everything is based around boosting image, which boosts fan support and ultimately boosts sponsorship sales, brings more $$ into the sport...and....the realtionship builds from there. They treat fans with enormous respect, even if they are in a bad mood, or they just wrecked or they do not feel like it (ofcourse there are exceptions). They take the time to look out for the betterment of the sport. Everyone is on the same page, it is a singleminded approach to growth and prosperity. When was the last time you heard a CUP driver make fun of or chastize the ARCA series? The drivers are the primary focus of all promotions, merchandising and interest...and they know that. Alot of driver's take speech lessons to practice public speaking, they are coached at this as they are driving. It, agian, all goes back to image.

If we all think in a little different manner, I think we can see great improvements. We are not talking about major overhuals, just a matter of doing things right, on time, with class...that's really about it. Put on a SHOW, not a race. NASCAR is SO fan freindly...one if it's major appeals and a big part of creating brand loyalty. When was the last time you, as on Offshore racer, offered to give autographs? Just put a Sharpie in your pocket and be accessable with the folks at the race. What about autograph tents or autograph signing sessions that are scheduled and annouced to the fans...then followed thru on? Make it MANDATORY for all racers to attend at some point and time...just like 1/2 hour or so...it would do wonders for the image of the sport. It may be mostly kids, but they have parents who will spend $$ and build brand loyalty. It may sound silly, but that is one way the loyalty is built (and winning certainly don't hurt ). Treat the fans with huge respect. There is a reason why NASCAR teams that have not won a race in 10 years still sign $15 million/year sponsorhip packages. It is the promotion OFF the track that has created this...again..all goes back to how you treat and respect the fans, sport and sponsors.

I think our prerace ceremonies in Offshore racing have ALOT to be left desired. Infact...we have no ceremony. We are missing out on a perfect opportunity. Why do we not have driver introductions or the National Anthem, pre race? What about flyovers, parachuters, free style jet skiers or wakeboarders...etc. Why do we not have a "Drivers....start your engines!!" There is no aura or excitement created around the start of our races...we do not give anyone a reason to be anxious about seeing this race. The fans look out and just see some boats driving around...it makes for no drama...no story line....NO SHOW. Heck, I think the Choppers buzzing around is just as cool as the race sometimes!! Build on that!! When NASCAR realized they were in the entertainment business, not the racing business....they went ballistic in growth. I think...I KNOW we need that in Offshore Racing. Hell, I'm a Offshore racer and I just learned on this thread we have the oldest trophy in Motorsports. That sort of stuff needs to be promoted! As well, I think the American flags on the bow is a GREAT jesture, but why have we not promoted the sport as ALL AMERICAN? Race fans eat that stuff up!!

Did you know that NASCAR is the only sport in the USA that has a prayer over the PA system prior to the race?

History....NASCAR...running moonshine.....OFFSHORE BOATS...running dope!! (atleast some of the boats and engineering). Everyone knows about the NASCAR history, no one knows about the Offshore history, and I think that is our faults. Our history is dramatic as hell and should be promoted...it worked for NASCAR!!

Why are the drivers TV or radio interviews not done right after a race when the boat pulls into the pits? I know for me I would give a much more animated interview right then than I would 2 hours post race. Helmet pops off and the driver, with sweaty hair and full of emotion tells you what just happened 3 minutes ago..that is 10 TIMES more exciting to watch than waiting for 2 hours. What about prerace interviews in the pits while the driver is getting into the boat, or, better yet...sitting in the boat. Give the fans at home somebody to relate to, somebody to cheer for, not just some boat. Watch the race team website hits increase after this takes place...!! I'm tellin ya, fans love this stuff.

So....sorry about the long post, and PLEASE do not misintepret my post as me banging on anyone or any Offshore racing people or promoters, I am apart of this stuff as well. I am not trying to make the APBA or GLSCS, etc...NASCAR, I am just trying to offer good ideas that are proven to work in the fastest growing spectator sport in America. Yes, I have only been around offshore racing for about 2 years, but I have seen what does and does not work as far as promotions in motorsports. I do not know it all, not even close, but I have some idea, I think anyway And my ideas are not necessarily original...the NASCAR boys have been doing this stuff for over 20 years.

We need to be conscious of putting on a show as apposed a race...and that means as drivers and team owners and crew members...we need to do things on raceweekend that perhaps we think are a pain in the rear...but if it improves the sport, then it must be done....that could also make the difference between racing for $2k to racing for $10k in a few short years.

Thanks for listening to my rambling, sorry it is so dang long.

Allan Hilsinger
Hilsinger Motorsports, LLC
P5-48 Offshore Racing
Well said Allan - at least some people get it.

Quick Reply: Constructive Thread/racing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.