OSS Announces St. Clair River! >

OSS Announces St. Clair River!

Notices

OSS Announces St. Clair River!

Old 05-21-2004, 12:31 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OSS Announces St. Clair River!

Offshore Super Series Powerboat Racing Association (OSS) Sets Summer Race in St. Clair River, Michigan

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE - Friday, May 21, 2004

The Offshore Super Series Powerboat Racing Association (OSS) announces a new race on its schedule to be held in St. Clair River, Mich., from July 30 through August 1, 2004. OSS racers will travel internationally as they make turns on the eight-mile course, which crosses in to Canada, and spectators may view the weekend event for free.

“We welcome OSS with open arms,” said Ed Smith, who is Vice President of the Blue Water Racing Association and Vice Chairman of the Great Lakes Silver Cup Series. “My belief is that the St. Clair River event will be the race of the summer to be at.”

Past racing events in St. Clair River have drawn crowds of up to 40,000 spectators, with 10,000 to 15,000 viewing on the U.S. side in addition to fans watching from Canada, and some 25,000 spectators visit for Nationals competition. Organizers indicate that the local temperature stays around 75 degrees with mostly sunny or some overcast during late July.

“The OSS is proud to support grass roots, divisional racing in St. Clair. Their race is the longest running event on the Great Lakes Silver Cup Series,” said Elaine Motl, Chief Executive Officer of OSS. “The Blue Water Racing Association is well-known for their excellent race management skills and warm hospitality towards the race teams.”

According to Smith, now is the time to plan a visit to St. Clair River for the July 30 weekend.

“It’s the best time of the year to be here. Spectators can enjoy themselves or have a wonderful family outing as they view the race from Palmer Park right on the seawall, indoors or outdoors at Voyageur Restaurant and the St. Clair Inn at the north end of the park, for example,” said Smith. “Our race control takes care of the international clearances, so racers may travel through Canadian waters each time they make a turn on the southern side of the race course.”

Organizers described the water as “crystal clear blue” and indicated that the view from Palmer Park puts spectators about 75 to 100 feet away from the race.

“St. Clair River is one of the most photogenic sites to catch a race,” said Smith. “It also offers a challenge for the racers who must overcome a 7 mph Southerly current on the southern turn.”

The St. Clair River course is approximately 1-mile wide and is located between Lake Huron and Lake St. Clair, a shipping route with freighters making their way through the Great Lakes about 1,000 feet away.

St. Clair represents the fourth announcement on the OSS National race circuit. OSS is a not for profit organization dedicated to the further development and growth of offshore powerboat racing in North America. For more information, check out: www.offshoresuperseries.com.

######
Old 05-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: OSS Announces St. Clair River!

I am coming to visit friends and see both the Detroit Gold Cup and this River Race. As my name implies I love hydroplanes both in the piston powered and turbine versions.
Old 05-26-2004, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: OSS Announces St. Clair River!

Nigel Hook has this schedule posted on his website for OSS. Will the details of the Savannah race be released soon? I ask because Savannah is only a few hours from me...........and I would like to go.

2004 OSS Offshore Super Series

Apr 25 Biloxi, Mississippi
Jun 26 St. Petersburg, Florida
Jul 10 Savannah, Georgia
Jul 31 St. Clair, Michigan
Sep 4 Louisville, Kentucky
Nov 13 Key West, Florida
Nov 20 Key West, Florida

Nigel's site