Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Who went to races as a kid, and now races? >

Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

Notices

Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

Old 02-08-2005, 08:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

My entire life I'v been trying to find a place I feel like I belong and most comfortable. I never played sports baseball, football, etc..growing up. It just doesn't interest me. I had a love for offshore boat's since the 70's. Now I enjoy my Wins & Championships and I have found were I belong. RACING!!
Old 02-08-2005, 09:14 AM
Race Fast, Race Safe!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Re: Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

Ok, It wasn't offshore racing to start. My father raced Stock Cars until I was born, then we (my family and several others) started a 4 wheel drive off-road club as part of the East Coast 4-Wheel Drive Association and raced there until I was 18. I grew up boating, and started diving, and rescue operations. Then the Cleveland National occurred. It seems they need rescue divers. Sounds like fun.
Too paraphrase from Smitty (same sentiment, different words), "Oh Crap, here we go. What am I getting myself into". 4 Years later, I help to coordinate the Medical and Safety for the GLSCS. I bought, rebuilt (with help), and haul around our command boat (the shark boat) wherever, and whenever it is needed. Can't get away from it (and don't want to either). This year looks like 7 races (or more).
Attached Thumbnails Who went to races as a kid, and now races?-rescue-boat-motor-home-smaller.jpg   Who went to races as a kid, and now races?-rescue-boat-water-small.jpg  
Old 02-08-2005, 10:32 AM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I watched the offshore races in Port Huron in the mid 70's and traveled to Northport MI,Sagatuck, Traverse City to watch the races when I was young. I started offshore racing in about 1982-83 with a boat called Magnum Force. When the guys from Port Huron bought the boat it had Twin 396 big blocks and Volvo 270 Drives. They came to me and asked me to race with them and they decided to make it a single engine boat so we could run in A-class and we would have a spare engine and drive Well it all sounded good at the time that was before I did not realize how important the balance of the boat meant. The first few races we went to we even got beat by the patrol boats so built a 600Hp engine and blew up every Volvo drive in the area when we ran out they parked the boat.

Last edited by TylerCrockett; 10-31-2010 at 10:28 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:45 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Tyler,
A friend of mine, Jeff Galente, had a 27 Magnum called "Magnum Force" it also had Volvo drives. Did this boat come from NJ? Galente's boat was orange with black letters. Just curious if this was the same boat?
Old 02-08-2005, 01:03 PM
Michigan Mad Man
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert Geoghegan
Tyler,
A friend of mine, Jeff Galente, had a 27 Magnum called "Magnum Force" it also had Volvo drives. Did this boat come from NJ? Galente's boat was orange with black letters. Just curious if this was the same boat?
Robert I don't know where the boat came from but it was painted the Red,White and Blue like in the picture. I am not sure where the boat is now.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:22 PM
Registered

My dad started racing in 1975 when I was 6, in the Barnegat Bay Classic with his 27 magnum, the "Pamela D", that was it, I thought it was the coolest thing ever, he then bought a new 32 Cobra from Joel Halpern and ran that boat for many years, it was called "Scorpio", then he bought Steve Baums 32 Maverick and ran that under the "Scorpio", as well as "Pro Marine" and lastly "Medicine Man". I like others was hooked and said when I grow up (still waiting for that day) I'm gonna do this. So even though I haven't grown up, in 1996 I bought Inferno, a 32 Sutphen, that same boat that my dad raced against back in the days.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Spy,
On post 201 of the thread "back in the dayss" there is a picture I took of your dad's boat "Scorpio" during a Barnegat Bay race, during the late 1970's.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:49 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Robert Geoghegan
Spy,
On post 201 of the thread "back in the dayss" there is a picture I took of your dad's boat "Scorpio" during a Barnegat Bay race, during the late 1970's.
yup, that's it, that is one of, if not the best thread. I think I'm gonna go and buy another boat!
Old 02-08-2005, 02:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I grew up in Brick with Gegg ( spyguy) ...and watched
all the races from brick beach..I always loved the sound
of those motors..(still do) I raced my own boat Trev-one
a 24 Baja H2x in the US offshore Pro-AM..(remember
BoB) then hooked up with Marty in o'l big Red...now i am
just watching the racing again ...soon maybe to be out there one more time..it is in your blood
Old 02-08-2005, 02:26 PM
Registered

Re: Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

Originally Posted by trev-one
I grew up in Brick with Gegg ( spyguy) ...and watched
all the races from brick beach..I always loved the sound
of those motors..(still do) I raced my own boat Trev-one
a 24 Baja H2x in the US offshore Pro-AM..(remember
BoB) then hooked up with Marty in o'l big Red...now i am
just watching the racing again ...soon maybe to be out there one more time..it is in your blood
Hey Mike, you mean (Greg) or (Gegg?) Are you drunk? Nevermind, those were the days of the parties at my house in Curtis Point......

Quick Reply: Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.