Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Who went to races as a kid, and now races? >

Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

Notices

Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

Old 02-07-2005, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

As a kid, I lived for the Benihanna Grand Prix, and the Barneget Bay Race. I know of several other racers who attended these races as kids, and now they race, or have raced. Just a couple that I know of: Me, Scott B., Waterboy, and Bodyshot. Who else got hooked as a kid?
I think my 16 year old nephew is now hooked!

Last edited by Fast Shafts; 02-07-2005 at 11:10 PM.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:55 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts
Default Re: Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

I saw my first race in Key West 1982 at 7 years old, grew up there. Been OBSESSED ever since, AGITATOR & JESSE JAMES were two of my favorites. Raced the first race I was old enough to in St Cloud 1993 , navigating a 28' pantera OPA! Raced ever since then in anything I could now I spend every dime I have and MORE to go racing.
Old 02-07-2005, 10:18 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Went to the Guy Lombardo race in 78.I was 10 years old and started racing when i was 23.I got hooked after goin to that race.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:15 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too.
Old 02-07-2005, 11:36 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Got hooked when my Father took me to my first race in Pt Pleasant, New Jersey back when it was the Benihana. It's a shame that for the past few years I would rather travel miles away to go to a race rather then travel 15-20 minutes to a race near home. Hopefully now with some new blood and new found spirit I will want to take the time off again and go to the that race annually.
Old 02-08-2005, 12:55 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

I grew up in Point Pleasant Beach. Got to see the races every year. By my early 20's I was building boats. Next thing I know I was repairing the big offshore boats.
I was just in the right place at the right times and was asked to go racing. How could I say no?.....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 02-08-2005, 06:16 AM
Registered

I too got the Offshore Racing bug from Key West, when I attended the 1983 Key West World Championships at 16. I was on a boat with my parents out at Sand Key Light, when I saw the most unbelievable sight of all these helicopter just appear from the horizon right above this huge fleet of Class One Cats and then Vee's racing to turn left at Sand Key, it was "Smokin Crankin"!!! (that's means, really cool)
I knew then, I was just going to HAVE to do that!!!
1988, My first race, I throttled the then Ex-Scheer Terror (Bobby Scheer's boat) a now renamed Class D Flight Marine Catamaran in Virgina Beach, VA. And as Ryan states, "Raced ever since then in anything I could now I spend every dime I have and MORE to go racing."

Ben
Old 02-08-2005, 06:50 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

My cousin Val's father was a mechanic on The Crazy Greek outta Toms River so we were both at the races since the early 70's. Rick from East Dover Marina was the throttleman back then.
Old 02-08-2005, 07:52 AM
Registered

my uncle worked on a P-Class Magnum "Black Irish", back in the day, & my grandfather had a 26' Corsa "Mean Machine" with a 426 hemi in it..and built speedskiffs..so I've been involved as long as I can remember...couple shots..back then and from a few years ago..
Attached Thumbnails Who went to races as a kid, and now races?-martyrockysm2.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by BODYSHOT1; 02-08-2005 at 08:22 AM.
Old 02-08-2005, 08:31 AM
VIP Member

Driving through Bricktownship in 1979 a Cat passed me tilted up on it's trailer. What the hell is that!!! Followed it to the pits. Biggest mistake of my life. Went to every race I could, with the dream of one day being able to race. Came to my senses at the races...."man I could never afford to do this." Along came Kurt with the OPA, race what ya brung. I am so screwed. Once you are in there is no way out. One way or another Offshore is on my mind 24 hrs a day. I am still wearing my kill switch from Key west. To anyone who wants to get involved, dont be intimidated. If you want to do it bad enough there is always a way. Good luck to everyone in the 2005 season. Gonna be one for the books. Smitty

Quick Reply: Who went to races as a kid, and now races?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.