Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Saginaw Bay Poker Run Ideas... >

Saginaw Bay Poker Run Ideas...

Notices

Saginaw Bay Poker Run Ideas...

Old 12-02-2011, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have thought about trying to start a poker run on the saginaw bay. We talk about it every year and it never happens for us. I would love to help in any way just let me know. If not I will be running in it as well as every one I know. I may even be able to get some sponsering
Old 12-02-2011, 03:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by hotjava66
I dont know, its an hour idle EACH WAY to go up there(Vets/Hooters). I agree on the Castaways problems too, I like it there but they are not equipped to handle more than a few boats, and small ones at that. Every really fun poker run I have been on included a stop somewhere to raft off and hang out/swim. Good time to mingle, get to know everyone, and take a break from running. My favorite stop heading north is the beach in front of the cemetary between Pt. Lookout and Whitestone Pt. Nice, sandy, protected, and clear water. Depending on the mileage you want to run you could do an Linwood/Augres/Caseville and back run. The beach at Caseville is a nice place to raft off too. I dont think anyone would have issues getting out of Linwood Beach, I launch out of there all the time, they are doing a good job of keeping the channel dredged now and have recently updated a lot of the dockage and launch.
I guess everyone needs to be on the same page are we talking about a poker run or a fun run big difference poker runs have a lunch stop fun runs have a raft off(party) on a poker run no drinking in route so the party begins after at awards banquet I think this would be a great event in BC and could get big but like Bill63 said need hotels parking etc. night life after awards and so on every poker run from boyne,key west,smoke on the water before the b.s. have a idle for at least 30min or so not trying to make waves just my 2 cents I can get some guys from boyne if people want to meet and talk I like the caseville idea for lunch thanks carder for being the guy to jump in
Old 12-02-2011, 04:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ryan9154
I guess everyone needs to be on the same page are we talking about a poker run or a fun run big difference poker runs have a lunch stop fun runs have a raft off(party) on a poker run no drinking in route so the party begins after at awards banquet I think this would be a great event in BC and could get big but like Bill63 said need hotels parking etc. night life after awards and so on every poker run from boyne,key west,smoke on the water before the b.s. have a idle for at least 30min or so not trying to make waves just my 2 cents I can get some guys from boyne if people want to meet and talk I like the caseville idea for lunch thanks carder for being the guy to jump in
Ryan- you beat me to it. It is my preference to try and organize an official poker run since we raft at the plug every weekend with a bunch of boats or hang at boaters beach where there is a couple hundred.

It looks like there are many people that would like to see this happen. I talked to a few of my other buddies with powerboats and they would as well. Ryan might be right, maybe a few of us should get together and see what we can pull togehter to make it happen. Just a few thoughts.
Old 12-02-2011, 05:31 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stopped and spoke with Carder today, and John from Linwood Beach Marina. This thing is pretty much a done deal and is being hosted and organized by Linwood Beach Marina. Sounds like they have pretty much everything covered and planned at this point. I wont step out of place and get to detailed until things are done but based on what I was told it will be a poker run with sponsers and proceeds going to charity. They will be having a friday night gathering, poker run with lunch stop at yacht club, dinner and afterparty with live band etc. Possible raft off on Sunday. Website with details and registration will be going up soon. It sounds like it will be very reasonably priced but with good payouts if the event is big enough. Also it sounds as if it will be set up for any level of boater, with staggered start for boats of different speeds etc. They seem to have a big plans and if it turns out well make it an annual or biannual thing. Date is July 28 I believe. Will post a link when they get a site up and running.
Old 12-02-2011, 06:04 PM
Registered

The water out front is very shallow and the channel is narrow. If theres a west wind it gets even shallower. i dont know about the rest of you but looseing 1500 in props would be a bad day. Plus where are people that dont have a cabin in there boat going to stay? Bay City is way better
Old 12-02-2011, 10:58 PM
Registered

I think some of us are on a different page I was thinking 30 or 40 boats just from some of the people I boat with sounds like you guys have it all figured out I did'nt know this many people were interested in a poker run in the bay maybe we can get a different one together out of bay city 98fever27 I'll be in touch

Last edited by ryan9154; 12-02-2011 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 04:05 PM
Registered

Default More Information As This Starts To Gel..

The feedback has been priceless!
Here's what I can tell you for sure so far:
It's definitely a Poker Run with 5 card stops vs a more casual fun run with swimming, rafting, etc..

You can be assurred of a minimum of 6 ft of depth on the entire course. If the weather gets weird and compromises this safety margin, we will change the course to keep the safety level high. For those of you not familiar with the Linwood Beach channel or the Kawkawlin River channel, safety boats will keep you on track. This year their was an average of 7 feet in the Linwood Beach channel, and more than that in the Kawkawlin Channel, with the River itself deeper yet.
Castaways is a card stop, but you won't have to get out of your boat unless you want to take a break. It is also the best place for the spectators to see all the cool boats going by... similar to the boats at Boyne Thunder going through Round Lake.
We are planning on a fun day Friday, for those that come early, with events happening at Linwood Beach Marina. Those coming early are welcome to leave their boats/trailers in the marina's secure facililties for the weekend, so if you staying in the Campground at the marina, or a hotel in Linwood or Bay City (ten minutes away) you won't have to worry about your boat.
I'll post more as we figure it all out.
Thanks again, for the entusiasm on this,
Carder

Last edited by Carder; 12-03-2011 at 04:23 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Carder
The feedback has been priceless!
Here's what I can tell you for sure so far:
It's definitely a Poker Run with 5 card stops vs a more casual fun run with swimming, rafting, etc..

You can be assurred of a minimum of 6 ft of depth on the entire course. If the weather gets weird and compromises this safety margin, we will change the course to keep the safety level high. For those of you not familiar with the Linwood Beach channel or the Kawkawlin River channel, safety boats will keep you on track. This year their was an average of 7 feet in the Linwood Beach channel, and more than that in the Kawkawlin Channel, with the River itself deeper yet.
Castaways is a card stop, but you won't have to get out of your boat unless you want to take a break. It is also the best place for the spectators to see all the cool boats going by... similar to the boats at Boyne Thunder going through Round Lake.
We are planning on a fun day Friday, for those that come early, with events happening at Linwood Beach Marina. Those coming early are welcome to leave their boats/trailers in the marina's secure facililties for the weekend, so if you staying in the Campground at the marina, or a hotel in Linwood or Bay City (ten minutes away) you won't have to worry about your boat.
I'll post more as we figure it all out.
Thanks again, for the entusiasm on this,
Carder
I wish you guys the best of luck with this.

I have lived and boated in the Saginaw bay my whole life minus the last year or so. Been up and down the Kawkawlin River countless times have a few prop trophies to show for it.

I am very interested how a couple dozen power boats ranging from 30-50 foot plan on monuvering around the Castaways docks. Won't a 46' boat block the river while trying to turn around? Maybe I will stop in to Castaways by car have lunch and watch the show. Good luck guys.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:52 PM
Registered

Maybee instead of separating boats by speed classes. We could separate them by size 14-18 foot 18 to 22 foot and 22 to 26 foot considering the stops and the trip up the river to Castaways.Thats about all thats going to fit. If we want to make this a real poker run and bring in boats from all over the midwest. We need to host this out of a facility thats capable of handling a large amount of huge boats and have stops thats not going to put our equpiment at risk. Its up to you of course. But expect of all the large offshores to steer clear of your event.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Since its a fishing marina and ramp I will just borrow my dads 16.5 ft alumacraft for the poker run. Its rigged with the max 75hp Merc! And I will get so drunk after no need for a boat cabin or hotel, just sleep where I pass out! LOL!

Sounds like this poker run "could" be amazing...but the way its sounding.......?? Good luck.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.