Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Saginaw Bay Poker Run Ideas... >

Saginaw Bay Poker Run Ideas...

Notices

Saginaw Bay Poker Run Ideas...

Old 12-03-2011, 10:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man, you guys are tough. I have no personal involvement here other than being local and knowing these guys, but I think its great that they are trying to get something going. Anything we can do to keep our sport going and maybe give back to some good causes is ok in my book. I 100% agree about the Kawkawlin River being tough for bigger boats, but the rest of the course from what I have gathered is all deep water/offshore and is appx 70 mile run. I also agree that there are some negatives on close lodging and dock space, but there is no reason why those who wanted to couldnt dock in Bay City and come out for the run. If you dont want to make the Castaways stop, dont, get your cards after. Bottom line they are putting it on, and have a vested interest in having it at their place so it is what it is. They do a pretty good job out there and hope for them it is successfull on whatever level they want to make it. Hell, if anyone wants to get another run organized out of Bay City or anywhere else close, all the the better. I would gladly run in another local event and would be willing to help out if needed. The season is to damn short, so any excuse to get out and run is ok in my book, and I always have fun and meet great people on there runs. My 2 cents anyway.
Old 12-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think people on here are being tough becuse when someone asks opioions on the poker run. Then just steps out on his own and does what he wants anyway Regaurdless of what other people say. Its a slap in the face. I agree we need to work on promoting boating in the saginaw bay but a event so poorly thought out is not the way to do it. Do you think there are going to be 1000s of spectators lined up on the Kawkalin river? No way besides the fact its dangerous for large boats most of the shore is privately owned.Carder you made a point in your last post you said hotels and accomidations are 10 mins away in Baycity. The Fact is 10 mins away is also one of the best launches and marinas on the bay and lots of public parks for spectators to watch. Bringing our sport to light means bringing it public. Not hiding it in Linwood or down some river.
Old 12-04-2011, 10:37 AM
Registered

I have been watching the postings for a week now. I live on Linwood Beach and have a 35 Donzi ZR. I boat all over the bay, including Castaways every week. I have watched the amazing transformation of Linwood Beach Marina under the new ownership the last few years.

What many of you are missing is the fact that Linwood Beach Marina is the main sponsor and host of this thing. Of course its going to be there. Those of you who are complaining about the channel there clearly havent been there since the new ownership took over a few years ago. It is deeper and wider than ever. Not an issue for boats of any size.

If any of you went to any of the parties last year at the marina you would be as fired up as I am. One party they threw last year had the live band Steel Wheels. 1000's of people. Absolutely incredible. Everything they do there is first class. These guys have spent millions of dollars on this place. Unfortunately people remember it from years ago when it was Hoyles. NOT the same place.

I agree docking at Castaways can be an issue, but who said you had to dock there. The depth and width of the river is not an issue. My understanding was Castways was a place to be handed a card as you drove by the dock and then turn around.

Sounds like some of you wont participate because of concerns that are based on outdated information. The poker run isnt until July 28th. Check things out in June to see if it will work for you.

Im in. Hope to see you all there.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:02 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Im in!!! Great idea. Has Lori at Castaways agreed to make enough space available for everyone? I can't officially offer this yet, but I live in the condos by Castaways and could talk to my neighbors and the board to see about space here.
Old 12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Oops. Think I misunderstood about Castaways. It's just a card station, not a lunch stop?

FYI. Anyone concerned... you have noting to worry about at the channel for Linwood Beach Marina or the Kawkawlin River. Stay between the markers and your golden.
Old 12-06-2011, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm very excited for something like this to happen in this area, no matter what you call it (POKER RUN, FUN RUN, RALLY??) I get what Greatlakesonic is saying about an event being labeled as a "Poker Run" having a certain standard associated with it but not ALL poker runs need to have thousands in attendance and 100+ mph offshores larger than 35' to be labeled as such. just my thougts. Not sure how this event will turn out but I do know the people that will be involved will do the upmost to make it appeling to the ones participating as well as bystanding. Granted, there are limited areas for convienent stops and Castaways is one of a small handful in the area and I do not see it as a good place for more than a card stop based on the number of boats in attendance. For those who want to bypass that stop due to size or prefernece than so be it, people skip stops in runs all the time. For a lunch stop, on the other hand, its important for all to be comfortable in stopping and gathering together. In my mind, Tawas is the only obvious place for lunch to accomidate everyone unless we treck up the Saginaw river at some point, but time is a factor there. Downtown Bay City is a much better suited place for the event to be held but fact of the matter is Linwood Beach Marina is stepping up and getting something rolling and not Bay Harbor, Pier 7, or Liberty... I guess all I really care about is we put something together in this area and also to thank Carder and Linwood Marina for getting the ball rolling. First year runs will always have stumbling blocks and room for improvement and anxious to see some new boats in the area and to get to know our locals a little better I know all comments are to help and everyone should share thoughts and opinions. All I care about, much like Eric, is to see something put together in the Saginaw Bay area where us who love this sport can get together and run together and have fun. Cheers
Old 12-06-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Carder
Nope, too much No Wake Zone to get to Hooters and back out.

the tentative course is: Leave from Linwood Beach Marina,
First card stop is in Augres Harbor, 2nd is Bouys 1 and 2, third is Saginaw Bay Yacht Club, 4th is Castaways, Final card back @ Linwood Beach Marina for Dinner/Awards/party
IMO your foolish not to use Hooters as a card stop very public and tops you have a 1/4-1/2 mile no wake. I'm not big into Poker Runs, but if not properly presented to public you'll have a hardtime getting sponsors and support. JMO
Old 12-06-2011, 11:06 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
IMO your foolish not to use Hooters as a card stop very public and tops you have a 1/4-1/2 mile no wake. I'm not big into Poker Runs, but if not properly presented to public you'll have a hardtime getting sponsors and support. JMO
Irish, it would be great to do do Hooters, but you have that backwards. From the river mouth to Hooters there is only 1/2 mile that isnt no wake. It is the good part an hour each way, trust me I do it all summer.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hotjava66
Irish, it would be great to do do Hooters, but you have that backwards. From the river mouth to Hooters there is only 1/2 mile that isnt no wake. It is the good part an hour each way, trust me I do it all summer.
Have they changed it in the last couple years? I only remember it being no wake for a short area. I think Hooter's would be a good lunch stop. I know there's no alot of dock space there.but with proper organization it would work good.
Old 12-06-2011, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Irishtornado
Have they changed it in the last couple years? I only remember it being no wake for a short area. I think Hooter's would be a good lunch stop. I know there's no alot of dock space there.but with proper organization it would work good.
Yes, the river is now all no-wake from the mouth to downtown except for a short section between Independance bridge and Wheelers landing.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.