Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Great lakes used boat market 2016 >

Great lakes used boat market 2016

Notices

Great lakes used boat market 2016

Old 05-30-2016, 06:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sold my 270 checkmate for what I thought was a good price, took 4 days to find a buyer. I had probably 10 emails in that time and two people look. A lot of people I know moved up from mid 20's boats this year, a month ago the market looked pretty good. 3 checkmates from low 20's to 30k just in mid michigan. Quite a few more Dien state and a couple up north at the same time.
Old 05-31-2016, 06:30 AM
Registered

And yet I have 92 Formula SR1 271 that I have had listed here in Southern Ontario for the past 2 seasons and have not yet had a reasonable offer.

Boat is very stock and I keep it in good shape. Always trailered and I have serviced the drive and gimbal regularly. I

have it listed for $22,000 Canadian Funds and normally get the emails and texts "whats your lowest" That really pisses me off. When a guy does that, he really does not want a boat, he just wants you to give it to him.
We have had a few offers at $16,000 and I told both of those guys I would include all the safety gear and deliver it if they could come up to $18,000 but nope, They don't want a boat of this qaulity or length either.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1157736856

advert here Tell me if I'm nuts but I still see value in this even if others do not.
Old 05-31-2016, 07:53 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Clayfan
And yet I have 92 Formula SR1 271 that I have had listed here in Southern Ontario for the past 2 seasons and have not yet had a reasonable offer.

Boat is very stock and I keep it in good shape. Always trailered and I have serviced the drive and gimbal regularly. I

have it listed for $22,000 Canadian Funds and normally get the emails and texts "whats your lowest" That really pisses me off. When a guy does that, he really does not want a boat, he just wants you to give it to him.
We have had a few offers at $16,000 and I told both of those guys I would include all the safety gear and deliver it if they could come up to $18,000 but nope, They don't want a boat of this qaulity or length either.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details....dId=1157736856

advert here Tell me if I'm nuts but I still see value in this even if others do not.
You have to take the emotion out of it, its a boat. What have apples to apples sold for? Do you have the right options and colors? Be realistic is your perfect running condition really that? Hours? It all comes into play, plus as stated before buyers are not able to find the deals from 3-5 years ago and slowly the market is correcting itself.
Old 05-31-2016, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Bob from Dearborn is buying all the nice boats in Michigan with his imaginary pile of cash! Ha-ha

I sold my 253 Checkmate in only a few weeks time. Action came in spurts, several dreamers and one jackazz wasted my time. One family led me in for several weeks, then bought a different boat. Weather sucked whole time. First warm weekend had a guy show up with deposit check already made out to me. Wasn't much wiggle room on my price to begin with since everything on boat was fresh from engine top end down to trailer bearings and brakes. Sea trial and finalize a week later. Boat was extremely clean and sold it self to a buyer who knows what they are looking at.

Got tired of being told my price was high and there were other "much nicer" boats for less. People had balls to send me links even. "Nicer" boats they were comparing didn't have many expensive rigging extras. Dreamers and tire kickers who want it for 30-40% less. Love people who think a cash offer means something special. Of course I will only take cash, stupid to take a check!

Boat I turned around and bought was neglected and needed some work, but I got it at a price that made it worthwhile. Needed elbow grease and polishing mainly. Had it looking 15 grand nicer in a couple weeks. I showed up to view boat and seller never attempted to clean it. I was pissed and threw a very low offer. Didn't get it for that but was still a decent bargain. Once again I was a serious buyer, knew what I was looking at, and didn't screw around. Had deal wrapped up quickly.

Last edited by Gimme Fuel; 05-31-2016 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-01-2016, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most that have stopped by and made me stupid offers like 8K or less I say stupid because they dont have any idea what they are looking at.
Old 06-06-2016, 08:54 AM
Registered

So just a little update.

Had a good qualified call on the Formula last Thursday. The gentleman had lots of questions on did I do the tiller are seal repair (yes JR Marine), engine hours, trailer inspection up to date, what works and what could use some attention.
Guy was also looking at a 96 Baja 26 with a 502. Both my Formula and the Baja were listed at $22,000 Cdn funds Both boats in Ontario.

He went up to look at the Baja and the owner said he was in some financial difficulty at this time. An offer was made at $14,000 and the owner said no. Guy calls me and says he is coming to look at mine Saturday.

Saturday comes and he at least calls and says the owner of the Baja has come to terms for $14,000 Quite a discount from $22,000 asking.

I am impressed he at least called to tell me not to waste the weekend waiting on him and I wish him luck with the Baja. He did say he did not think the 502 in the Baja was original to that model, that year but in for a penny, in for a pound.
I say the market here in Southern Ontario is still not back to any real degree. Still lots of inventory out there and every now and then you run into a give away.
Old 06-07-2016, 01:01 PM
Registered

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/5622437496.html

What do you all think of this?
Old 06-07-2016, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think you need to ask a lot of questions on a build like this. I think its too high priced.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:30 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The deals are fewer & farther between from what I ve been seeing. I have been watching very closely for 15 months now.
I m not in a position yet too buy,but m approaching. There is a 2004 28 ss available in my area. Looked @ it last summer. Was very dirty,not cared for & rack stored. $44k brokered? I see it now for 54K just recently. I hope they @ least cleaned it up. I do not like buying through a broker. They have no skin in the game. Most slippery people will triangulate & shift blame when it comes to the almighty dollar. And brokering is a ideal set up for fail. I ve meet many of the type. And from discussions with salesmen,I m not impressed. I would rather buy from an owner & find out his character through much discussion. Sorry for the rant but I just read 158 posts on the poor guy who got screwed on the 38,,unfricking believable.
Agreed,when something good comes along,be ready. Because if its desirable,clean,maintained,not beat,& @ a fair $,,,,it won t last long. Hard to find!!!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:27 AM
Registered

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

This boat looks clean, too bad on the one bum engine. Saw it on facespace the other day.
https://lansing.craigslist.org/boa/5622158614.html

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.