Up Date Your 388 Hustler

Notices

Up Date Your 388 Hustler

Old 12-14-2004, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Up Date Your 388 Hustler

ordered these from fred, i will post before & after
Attached Thumbnails Up Date Your 388 Hustler-5688358.jpg   Up Date Your 388 Hustler-9271360.jpg  
Old 12-14-2004, 06:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A lot of times, the old steering wheel will fall right off. Mine didn't. I took either a tie rod or ball joint 'pickle fork' and just tapped it a few times with a hammer and it came right off. Nice looking wheel and sticks! Lou
Old 12-14-2004, 07:21 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by HUSTLEthis
Our battery charger burned up also, the new one came with the shield..from charles ...I'll see if I can find a picture of it.
Great post Rob, we don't have any of those problems yet but good to look out for...
One thing we did have go bad was the water tank filler hose...got a crack by the fitting of the tank...Talk about a pain to change... Tom
Tom I think your boat is newer?

Yea I had just put the cover on the boat in the slip w/ shore power plugged in .I had smelled something funny[my friend ] close to electrical smell but I had the bug zapper on in the front of the slip thought it was it . Well smoke started coming out from the cover I unplugged it and yanked the cover and smoke was coming out the vents.We just had a fire there 2 years ago that took out 2 piers and 75 boats.I did not want to be the cause on the next one .my friend that lost his in the fire just had his on the Pier and wasn't ready for another one

They told me that they had a design problem [thats its common ]to send it back and the would repair or send out a updated one .5 year warranty and starts over with the new one .

I plugged it back in just to see what it was doing and saw flames inside.

I got to thinking if I had the splash shield on it and it really was flaming that it might help on deflection the flames.

***If I where yall I would send it to them to get the updated circuit board . I am sure the newer ones are ok . there is a date code on them . They will want the SN and the MD . they will give ya a RA # , they pay freight back to ya . I would think even if it is out of warranty they would stand behind them . or just send them this post or the picks thats a lot of liability on there part.

I figured it had a 1 year warranty and started researching a new one .My buddy said just call them that they would take care of me for almost burning the boat down on a peir with 50 other boats.I took abunch of picks to document it .picks of it smoking If I had to replace it, I would buy another one just like it..they stood behind them and on the inside looked to be the better quality out there .When you take it out Remember where the wires where. it was a easy job

Here is some info. You can call them and they will send you a owners manual on the charger.
C-Charger 30 amp 5000 series
My model # was 12305e
Date code 9924- I figure its a 99 on a 2001 boat

Try Debbie
1 800-830-6523
1-847-806-6300

In the pick you can see where it started on the board.
Attached Thumbnails Up Date Your 388 Hustler-tick-faw-battery-soking-charger-014.jpg   Up Date Your 388 Hustler-tick-faw-battery-charger-021.jpg   Up Date Your 388 Hustler-tick-faw-battery-charger-007.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:25 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by customryder
ordered these from fred, i will post before & after
I have had the sterring wheel off .mine was easy.Coustom Did you get new cables too?The blue looks good,Keep us posted.

Anytime Lou.

Lou here is the sheild. shoulder catcher , it hurts This is a 1999 boat I looked at before I bought my 01.
Attached Thumbnails Up Date Your 388 Hustler-robs-picks-26-2.jpg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 12-14-2004 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-14-2004, 07:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Rob- thanks for the picture of the splash shield. I'll either call Charles or bend up my own. I'd definitely round off those corners. I get cut up enough back there. Both times I sent my 20 amp 2000 Series back (out of the ONE year warranty), they called and said they couldn't be repaired. The first time I complained and they sent me a new one for about $100. It lasted a year but for that price no warranty. I really complained and they sent me a rebuilt one that was redesigned for about $75. It's worked fine for two years or so. I highly recommend getting the manual for the charger. It's got an excellent troubleshooting section,all the wiring diagrams. The fuses are well hidden and need to be checked out before concluding that the unit has failed. Lou
Old 12-15-2004, 08:16 AM
Registered

The fuses are well hidden and need to be checked out before concluding that the unit has failed. Lou Are the fuses in the charger or on the boat? mine dont work. Thanks Jeff
Old 12-15-2004, 08:44 AM
Registered

Called Debbie she said they are fuses in the charger, when i asked about if they catch on fire she said its "Rare" i will send it back for the up dates. 5 year warranty from when the boat was bought new, i told her i bought it use & said it may not have a warranty? The date codes read year then week. I will ck it out this weekend & post.
Old 12-15-2004, 09:17 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Customryder-I'll keep this simple. I've got a Charles 30 amp,2000 Series charger. There's an AC side to the charger that has a 10amp/250 volt slow-blow fuse. The DC side has a 40amp/32volt fast-acting fuse. You access the fuses by loosening a screw that is 2/3 down the face of the charger that secures a sliding panel that makes up the bottom 1/3 of the front face. The fuses are on the circuit board. The AC fuse is clearly visible. The DC fuse is hard to see. Being upside down definitely helps. The wire terminals on both the AC and DC sides are clearly marked. Plugging in your shore power and turning on the charger will allow you to confirm that the charger is getting 120v across the + and - terminals on the AC side(Black and Ground which is marked green on the terminal block). If you got 120v check for continuity across the fuses. To confirm at any time that the charger is functioning, disconnect the batteries from the charger, turn on the charger and check the DC voltage on the DC side (+ to - on the terminals on the DC side).If you get zero volts, the charger's not working. You'll have several + terminals (one for each battery). This troubleshooting should work on any charger. I saw rob's pictures. It was either a rectifier,diode or capacitor that glowed according to my electrical engineer friend. Fuses don't catch fire. I've had some interesting conversations with the Charles folks. By checking for and getting 120v on the AC side,you'll confirm that a breaker on the boat hasn't tripped or there's a problem with the shorepower cable,etc. Get back to me if you need more info. Lou
Old 12-15-2004, 09:27 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Our boat is a '99 and when our charger burned up it looked just like Rob's. Our plastic latches haven't broken yet, but once in a while they pop open on the big rollers. Tom
Old 12-19-2004, 08:54 AM
Registered

The plastic latches that were/are used by Hustler are made by Southco Fasteners. They also manufacture the stainless type. You can some find some of these at BoatUS. Southco does have distributors thru-out US. Check their web site.

When buying the replacements, watch the panel thickness. Southco makes varietations in the back section to accomodate differnt panels.

I ran into same problem on my 32. Hustler has been using these latches for years.

Quick Reply: Up Date Your 388 Hustler

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.