How Could This Be (State Farm Quote)

Notices

How Could This Be (State Farm Quote)

Old 03-02-2008, 10:15 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
I'd be worried. I'll bet you they have it listed as a cruiser or family runabout. I had a dealership get a quote for a boat they were selling 99 28 pantera twin 7.4/310hp and they said $350 annual. I called the insurance agent and asked why so low and he said the dealer told them it was a 28ft boat with single 7.4, top speed 50mph. Thats outright fraud IMO. After we got the facts right it came in at $1300.

I was only paying about $450 a year for my 28 Pantera with a 525SC though State Farm. That is the boat I had the drive claim on. My rate never changed over the 5 years I had it.
Old 03-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Beak Boater
Tres...I agree, everything is good until you file a claim with SF. If you have other insurance with them, the underwriters not wanting to lose your business will try to "push the Policy through" on a boat. Was told by State Farm higher up, they dont knowingly insure High Performance boats. They look at a couple of buzz words, Cigarette, Supercharger, ect, to decide what type of craft it is. They will take your money, when their is a claim, hopfully never but. You may need a good Lawyer. Has anyone had to file a claim that is insured with State Farm? Did everything go ok? Just wondering.
Beak, I just had this conversation with my neighbor this weekend who is a retired SF agent. He said that SF explicitly does not insure "high performance boats" and mentiond just the scenario you listed above. I still plan to look into it but everything will have to be on the up-and-up for me to move in that direction. I don't like the premiums I'm forced to pay but knowing there won't be an issue when/if I need to file a claim sure makes me sleep easier at night.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

State farm insured my 27 fountain and 28 pantera. I called them a few weeks ago about a 29 Fountain and they said no.

I got a laugh out of that, my agent is getting lazy, has his secretary do all the work now. I think it's about time to change, 2 houses, 3 cars, liability, life all with them, wonder if I'll get a call when it's all moved.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Von Bongo
wonder if I'll get a call when it's all moved.
I'm thinking your phone will definitely be ringing!
Old 03-03-2008, 10:24 AM
Charter Member #139 /Moderator/Platinum Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fountain4play
The only problem that I'm having with SF is recently I was having them add an additional Umbrella policy to cover any excess liability on all of my vehicles and water craft.
Same thing happened to me they insure my Cig but hwen it hit underwritting they cancelled it then cancelled my umbrella due to not having all of my insurance with them.

They lost my buisness insurance, home insurance, 3 cars, 2 bikes and umbrella policy but I had no choice .
Old 03-03-2008, 10:55 AM
Registered

Received 283 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I was only paying about $450 a year for my 28 Pantera with a 525SC though State Farm. That is the boat I had the drive claim on. My rate never changed over the 5 years I had it.
Thats reasonable for a SINGLE ENGINE. The sunsation in the post I quoted has two 7.4's. There is a huge difference in premium between a single and twin.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:05 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
Thats reasonable for a SINGLE ENGINE. The sunsation in the post I quoted has two 7.4's. There is a huge difference in premium between a single and twin.
MY 32 AT is insured by State Farm. 25k more in value with twin 502mpi's. About $830 a year.

Vonbongo, you need a better agent. Either that or Fountain is automatically on the Block list just like Cig.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SF used to carry the policy on my old 38 scarab. The only reason they dropped it was because I had 4 speeding tickets at the time. Funny how they didn't drop my auto though?????

Never could figure that out.
Old 03-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Registered

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by Griff
MY 32 AT is insured by State Farm. 25k more in value with twin 502mpi's. About $830 a year.

Vonbongo, you need a better agent. Either that or Fountain is automatically on the Block list just like Cig.
That sounds like our old agent that told me he couldn't do the sonic. My new agent (it has actually been almost two years now) is very aware of what I have and it was no problem.

I was totally honest with hime with respect to power etc. He actually came to our home and took photos of the exterior, interior and under the hatch while the boat was on the trailer. He then even emailed the pics to me so I was aware of what he had in the file.

Someday when I can get a 41' I am sure I will have to get my insurance somewhere else.
Old 03-03-2008, 09:15 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Rippem
You better be sure SF knows EXACTLY what the boat/motors are and how fast It'll go.

Is that a real 'marine policy' and if so, what are the spill/environmental and salvage limits if she goes down?

and is that price agreed value or ACV?
I took your comments seriously and decided to check my policy:

1. The title is a Boatowners policy...not an automobile policy.

2. The boat length (39) and each engine model, serial number and horsepower (700) is clearly identified on the declarations page.

3. Wreck Removal. We will pay the reasonable expenses you incur for any attempted or actual raising, removal, or destruction of the wreck of your watercraft if.

a. The damage is caused by the loss insured; and
b. removal or destruction of the wreck is required by law or governmental authority.

This expense is included in the Coverage A limit. When the amount payable for damage to your watercraft plus the cost of removal or destruction of the wreck exceed the Coverage A limit, an additional 5% of the Coverage A limit is available for wreck removal expense.

The value is stated on the declarations page which is equivalent ot eh new cost of the boat.

I also have a $5mm umbrella policy over all my SF policies.

Last edited by omerta one; 03-03-2008 at 09:23 PM.

Quick Reply: How Could This Be (State Farm Quote)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.