Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
Ins rates in the north during lay-up ??? >

Ins rates in the north during lay-up ???

Notices

Ins rates in the north during lay-up ???

Old 01-02-2009, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ins rates in the north during lay-up ???

Not well informed on how Marine ins works but it seems as if I pay as much when my boat sits almost 5 months of the year as do others down south who have the luck of having 8-12 months of boating. It's nothing high performance really. 04 288 496HO

Do any of the ins companies take that into consideration? My driving record is spotless, my cerdit score over 760 and I'm 50.
Don't old men get any breaks anymopre?
Old 01-02-2009, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZP'd
Not well informed on how Marine ins works but it seems as if I pay as much when my boat sits almost 5 months of the year as do others down south who have the luck of having 8-12 months of boating. It's nothing high performance really. 04 288 496HO

Do any of the ins companies take that into consideration? My driving record is spotless, my cerdit score over 760 and I'm 50.
Don't old men get any breaks anymopre?
Your question is valid. It is reasonable for one to only want to pay for boat insurance similar to their annual usage. My answer is in two parts. A. The most obvious feature many insurance companies offer is adding "Lay-up" to your policy. This would be putting a time-frame of non-usage to your policy. There would still be coverage on your boat while being stored (and trailered with some carriers), but no coverage on the water. This would allow for a reduction in your insurance premium. B. Some carriers take the winter months or months boats typically don't get used and automatically factor that in with the annual premium. You may not know how much of a break you are getting on paper, but the good news is that in the event you decided to have a mid-winter fishing trip or boat outing with the guys you automatically would be covered (unlike w/ having a lay-up).

One more thing on the lay-up, often times my clients will call me up during there lay-up period requesting coverage for an upcoming trip, a day or weekend, etc. Most often it's not a problem for me to add a trip endorsement to their policy. I just ask for a few days notice. The cost is minimal, roughly $50 or sometimes even free.

I hope this helps answer your questions. If you would like to get a comparison on your personal insurance I would be grateful to offer you a proposal. We have many different options that may fit your needs - with your boating season taken into consideration.

Thanks,

Devin Wozencraft
888-477-6517
866-538-7660 fax

Last edited by Wozencraft; 01-02-2009 at 04:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the reply, I'm going to do a bit of research and have a talk with my current agent soon as well before I decide which way to go.
Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ZP'd
Thanks for the reply, I'm going to do a bit of research and have a talk with my current agent soon as well before I decide which way to go.
Not a problem. I always recommend you check with your current insurance agent if you already have a good relationship. Let me know if I can help in the future.

Glad to help.

Devin Wozencraft