Old 06-01-2010, 02:31 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Great post Dave!
Old 06-05-2010, 12:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks jr and uncle dave.......
i did touch 70 with a 25p labbed 3blade bravo full load of fuel and 2 bodies.......... having said this we were trimmed out and on a 2 ft chop
i though the cmi headers would put me over the top .....70 is the mark for a small high performance boat
you ask what i expected........ i really expected 72to 73 mph
but having said that my expectations are high....... grins.......
thats why i asked about the 27p labbed 3 blade
at the moment my tack is hooped the beedy gauges that came with the boat i believe are not factory sealed..... my whole array of gauges is fogging quite badly in the morns and when i first put in till they get vented.... not a problem where your from just a fact of life on the wet coast where im from
changed out the water pedo for a gaffrig gps
in the process of doing the same for the tack
regardless gents..... and young son she is an awesome machine..... and i couldent be happier.... you wouldent believe the compliments i get ....
and i must compliment lavey on the quality of construction and quality of the finish i tip my hat to all involved
once i get the tack instaled i will know what rpm i am running with the labbed 26p
the stock 24p b1 prop got me to 66
the labbed 25 p i think mirage 3b got me to 70
and the labbed 26p to 68
all props ive tried and tested so far were stable virtually no difference in handling 3blade versus 4blade
that why i asked about the 27p 3b
after all one can never be fast enough
\now on a side note.......\
should any of you gents or young son ever get up my way........
we have a really fun poker run....... one of the few events sanctioned by poker runs america north of the border as well as some scenery that is almost unequaled
thanks gents......
Old 06-06-2010, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I ever get around there Ill take you up on it!
I actually do get up there a few times a year and am practically Canadian myself I as was married to a quebecois for a decade and got another one after her here now..

Nothing wrong with wanting a few more mph!
It's kind of what we are all about.

I know what you mean about the look I have a 20 year old boat from them that looks like it rolled out of the showroom- gets stares everywhere. Especially in the East where they still dont really have anything like it.

I've always like the 26, and I would be proud to own one.

At this stage you can just enjoy it till you wear out the engine then go for it, or you can start modding it.

A raylar kit will get you the few MPH you seek, or you can go "parts" like exhaust then heads etc.

Either way- were here to help you.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 06-06-2010 at 09:36 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 06-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Registered

i have thought of a raylar kit....... if i decide to do it i will most likely have it done at raylar in california combining it with a trip to havasu and the poker run in the spring
having said that considering that the 496 is now a discontinued motor i have to also consider drive upgrades the x drive in place has limitations as well
an other serious consideration is exceeding what the hull itself is capable of it also has limits
there is resale value
many things to consider
the cost here in canada for performance is just about double what it is in the states
all or most of the parts and equipment come from the states
taxes for import , higher labor costs
and a really good season here for the average person is 50 to 75 hrs for this style of boat
i was careful in my selection of hulls and had 4 choices of what i wanted
lavey, howard,eliminator and nordic where my choices
i truly though that this hull with the power was capable of better than 70 and with the correct mod i still believe that it is
i havent explored yet the x dimention mods a 2 inch shorty and semi cleaver prop
what it boils down to here in canada is really making the correct choice considering the costs
and yes she is a head turner virtually every time i launch i get several compliments or folks just staring in awe
i would be curious to know how many of these hulls are registered here in canada and bc not many i think
all your help , comments and input is greatly appreciated
regards Marc
Old 08-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Registered

well ive been a bit busy the last month or so and just got done with our local Poker Run this past week end for those that want to check the web site out, Harrison Lake Poker Run .com. other than some rain we all had a blast,good lunch stop and a terrific banquet/dance this past sat evening
top dog this yr ran somewhere in the mid to high 120ies mph
the larger entries consisted of a 42 MTI and a 47 Outerslimits
what a rush having these guys blow by at over 100mph

well 68 for me is about just where im going to be got my new tack in and at 4800 rpm 2 bodies and a 3/4 tank of fuel thats about all im going to get with the labbed 26 from CEP
with a labbed 24 by CEP im right on the rev limiter at 64 mph will not give me any more
im sure its been tried but has anyone tried to change the x dimension and what kind of results did they get
i know that you told me that the 26 isnt the speed racer of the lavey family Jr but i still feel that this hull is capable of more
will be talking to CEP sometime in the next couple weeks to see
if removing the cupping from the labbed 26 might give me a bit more rpm and a mile or 2 pr hr
anyways gents and young son keep jawing at me im all ears or eyes as it may be
perhaps the 496 ho is just not enough power i have considered a built for over the winter months ,some of my mates here are serious marine gear heads
talk to you soon
regards Marc
Old 08-11-2010, 10:08 AM
Registered

Glad to see you enjoying your Laveycraft. They are one of the best built boats ont he water for sure. I tried various 4 and 5 blade props on my 29 Nuera and actually had Bob Teague water test it for me while he did some motor work. He selected a 5 blade Hydromotive P5X and it provided the best overall performance of all the props tested with great mid range speed and top end.

p.s. let us know when you travel down to Havasu so you can hang with a few other Lavey guys while you are on vacation.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:54 AM
Registered

well winter is back....... das bot is tucked away
and the gales of november start blowing..........
and im still trying to squeeze a few more mph out of my new tub
boat ran really really well this summer and i had a blast
the way she sits with the 496 HO headers and 26 labbed is all i am going to get out of the current set up
so now with this mostly stock setup if im going to change anything
i would think it will be the x dimension
shorty lower upgrade to get the last 2/3 mph
any input or suggestions on this gents what works and what doesnt?
surely im not the first to go this route
regards Marc
Old 11-21-2010, 02:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Centsless
well winter is back....... das bot is tucked away
and the gales of november start blowing..........
and im still trying to squeeze a few more mph out of my new tub
boat ran really really well this summer and i had a blast
the way she sits with the 496 HO headers and 26 labbed is all i am going to get out of the current set up
so now with this mostly stock setup if im going to change anything
i would think it will be the x dimension
shorty lower upgrade to get the last 2/3 mph
any input or suggestions on this gents what works and what doesnt?
surely im not the first to go this route
regards Marc
Hello,
glad to hear you are enjoying your boat. You are about at the max speed you're going to see with a Merc 496 HO.
I don't recall and can't find it, is your boat a closed or open bow?
Old 11-21-2010, 04:22 PM
Registered

its a closed bow model Jr
Old 11-21-2010, 06:28 PM
Registered

Ok cool.
Well to be honest, 65mph is about the max you will see with a Merc 496ho. The 26 is not the speed demon of the NuEra line.
In regaurds to the shorty, I would not recomend it because you will not gain very much from it. The 26 has transom lift wich in return gives it a bit of bow steer. So if you run a shorty it will decrease the amount of leverage you have with the drive when triming it out.

If you already have the shorty in hand it's always worth a try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.