Old 11-21-2010, 08:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks jr
thats the type of info i need to make a good informed decision
and then if i try well so be it
no i dont have a shorty in hand
it would have been a purchase over the winter and install in the spring
and although i have thought about it and thought about it and thought about it.........

installing bigger power is silly as well\cheaper to buy the boat with the power in it for my current application 496 B1 drive it involves replacing everything
i would like to thank everyone for their input it is all greatly appreciated
regards Marc
Old 11-23-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Centsless
thanks jr
thats the type of info i need to make a good informed decision
and then if i try well so be it
no i dont have a shorty in hand
it would have been a purchase over the winter and install in the spring
and although i have thought about it and thought about it and thought about it.........

installing bigger power is silly as well\cheaper to buy the boat with the power in it for my current application 496 B1 drive it involves replacing everything
i would like to thank everyone for their input it is all greatly appreciated
regards Marc
No problem.
I hope everything goes well, keep us posted.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Centsless
well ...... i tested the labbed 26 last week end and im a bit disapointed....... topped out at 67
tach is hooped so i dont know what rpm im at reading 6400 rpm new tack on order...
it lies it lies!!!!!!!! damm moist air here abouts we dont age here on the wet coast of canada we just slowly rust away........
anyways had my boy and a friend of his aboard and made several passes with the boys and alone , the speed was the same
will be contacting greg at CEP this week to talk about tuning the
prop to see if i cant do better
after that im kind of at a loss maybe a 27 pitch labbed 3 blade ?
i defer to you gents with more experience and knowledge than i have
by the time im done i will have a prop selection leading back to where the boat came from
Still standing bye..
Greg Hittner
Cutting Edge Propellers
949-701-0900

Last edited by ghittner; 01-15-2011 at 09:13 PM. Reason: duplicate typing
Old 01-17-2011, 09:16 AM
Registered

check your pm greg
Old 02-13-2011, 10:24 AM
Registered

Centsless,

My 26 came with a HP500EFI and I run a Bravo 1 26p. A few years ago I installed a GT Performance 950, extension box, full hydraulic steering, larger tabs, new gages, Imco -2" lower and a Maximus 30p.

With this setup the boat became unsettled above 75mph. I did have it to 85mph a few times (still had more throttle). Broken drive once a year was the norm. I tried different dive heights and props, still when pushed above 75mph the boat would become unsettled. The biggest benefit was a 50mph cruise @ 3000rpm. This setup was fun and very sporty just not the big top end numbers without bottom work.

The lower strakes at the stern need to be removed (these make the boat work well with mild HP) or at a minimum have the drop part of the strakes ground off. This is something that is easy to do on Lavey's 27 but not so easy on the 26. Lavey's 27 you can remove them without any structural changes (damage) to the hull, on the 26 if you remove them you end up cutting away some of the bottom of the hull and will need to reinforce it from the inside (removing motor and tank from the boat). I looked at all the options and decided that it was a good family boat and not a speedster.

I have taken the extension box off and went back to a HP500EFI (the way it came from Lavey) and am getting another boat more suitable for higher speeds. The full hydraulic steering is nice and at the end of the day with the baot loaded it's 70mph with a Bravo 1 26p.