29 Nu Era & IMCO SCX upper and lower >

29 Nu Era & IMCO SCX upper and lower

Notices

29 Nu Era & IMCO SCX upper and lower

Old 04-03-2017, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Chris,
I picked up my full SCX drive last Thursday and installed the Oil Reservior and Bell Housing Helmet over the weekend. Replaced the lower shift cable and bellows as well. I will mount the drive this week and take her out for a test ride this weekend. I purchased the drive withOUT any spacers so I am hoping my Hydromotive PX5 will be enough and I won't need any spacers. I will report back with my stats next week.
Old 04-03-2017, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 49 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by lavey jr View Post
Just to revisit this topic.

I have confirmed that the full Imco SCX outdrive is in fact 2" shorter than the Bravo and Imco SC outdrive.
The bravo/SC drives are 22 1/4" crankshaft to propshaft and the SCX is 19 7/8"
So an exact number is that the SCX is 2 3/8" shorter.

If you do decide to swap over to the full SCX I would personally start with out any spacer and still run your existing prop.
Bravo/sc is 22-1/4"? My bravo X measured 21-7/8 input shaft to propshaft, hence the 2 inch and 4 inch shorter designations with the scx and scx-4 . So the standard length SC lower is 3/8" longer/deeper?
Old 04-30-2017, 12:20 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Jimmy any indepth details how the change over went switching to a IMCO SCX ? Handling, turning , low speed handling and top speed handling plus MPH numbers compared to your last set up ? THANKS
Old 05-24-2017, 10:32 PM
BUP
Banned

And info on the final results from the change over ? good or bad or no differ
Old 06-28-2017, 12:31 AM
BUP
Banned

anything for news about the SCX install - how were the results and what type of boating on what body of waters ?
Old 06-29-2017, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Curious how it handles and if you can feel the speed diff, but I doubt it if you are on the ocean.

UD
Old 07-05-2017, 09:27 PM
BUP
Banned

Originally Posted by avbiro View Post
Thank you Chris,
I picked up my full SCX drive last Thursday and installed the Oil Reservior and Bell Housing Helmet over the weekend. Replaced the lower shift cable and bellows as well. I will mount the drive this week and take her out for a test ride this weekend. I purchased the drive withOUT any spacers so I am hoping my Hydromotive PX5 will be enough and I won't need any spacers. I will report back with my stats next week.
Dave he did mount this with no extension box
Old 09-23-2017, 08:22 PM
Registered

Wow, sorry but I have not logged onto OSO in months. Is there a way for Post I create in OSO to email me if there is any activity? I had no idea members were waiting for my response. Everyone has been very responsive when I asked for help so I am truly sorry for not reporting back.

So the install of the SCX was pretty smooth except one of the screws that hold on the Pivot pin for the helmet which snapped and I screwed up the threads. I had to rotate the Pivot Pin and redrill new holes and threads. Oh yah, make sure you purchase a new Water inlet connector. This is the connector that passes through the Transom plate. It is plastic and it will break. I spoke to my bother who is a boat mechanic in Cape Cod and he said they do tend to break when removing the water inlet hose. Kind of PIA to replace. Not rocket science but requires patients and a lot shipping blankets so you can get comfortable as you laying across the stringers and stuff in the engine compartment.

In regards to performance I did notice a difference. IMCO and others said I would loose about 5 mph. That's pretty accurate. For me I lost about 4mph. However, I ordered the stock IMCO SCX drive which is 2" shorter than my stock Bravo. I did notice the boat gets looser quicker as I trim up. With my PX5 28pitch prop I had no problem getting on plane on Lake or Ocean. I think I did generate more prop slip and I am above 20% most of the time. I know that is too much so I think I want to try a 5 blade 29 pitch on my modified 575sci. I have the Teague 700hp superchiller kit so I should be pretty close to that plus I installed a Roller Cam and a Blower Shop replacement blower so I want to believe I am at 725 hp.

If playing with Props does not help my Prop Slip I will order the 1 or 2" IMCO spacer. I can't believe those spacers are $500. Matter of fact, if anyone has one they are not using I would love to borrow it. I will write check or provide cash as collateral. Matter of fact 100.00 rental would work for me if someone wants to re-coop their investment

I can't even tell you the piece of mind I have now owning this drive. IMO I don't think any single application sport boat that is 28' or larger should have a Bravo. I wouldn't even purchase as the IMCO SC or Teague. I snapped 2 vertical shafts which are the same shaft at the SC or Teague. I understand that you can get some further strength by Cryogenically treated and REM polished technology but I was so over with trying new things. Plus the wife said we either spend the money to make it right or we are going to be proud owners of a Sea Ray. I'm not ready for a Kitchen boat yet. LOL

Again my apologizes for not keeping up on this thread. Below is my email address if anyone wants to email me private

[email protected]
Jimmy Biro 29' NuEra Miss Tasty
Old 09-23-2017, 08:28 PM
Registered

Uncle Dave is correct. I will never get the boat to full speed in the ocean but that is where the SCX shines. To many swells to keep the 29' Nu Era grounded at 70mph. I have total confidence when cross over to Catalina, which we do a lot.

Lake Havasu WOT 5400 RPM
Bravo - 80 PX5 28
SCX - 76 PX5 28
Old 09-25-2017, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Did you get the "blueprinted" lower that IMCO offers? Just curious

for the thread notifications, click User CP in the top left corner of the page. Then "list subscriptions" on the left side. Check the box next to this thread, then at the bottom the drop down menu you can select email notification.

OSO Sponsor
OSO Advertiser
OSO Advertiser

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

OSO Advertiser