Twin to Single, Stringer Question >

Twin to Single, Stringer Question

Notices

Twin to Single, Stringer Question

Old 09-18-2007, 07:31 AM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Twin to Single, Stringer Question

I recently purchased a 27 Sport, currently set up for twin TRS. I want to convert it to a single BB. My plan is to cut down the center stringer and add two stringers for the engine mounts. I'm thinking to cut the center stringer to 6" from the transom 3' forward. The two stringers I would add for the engine mounts would run forward for 6'. My question is: Does this sound right? Should I run the stringers (for the engine) further forward?
I know Mel (Mag 27) converted his to a single, as did "Deranged". NoCigarette-did you do this conversion on your boat?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thanks!!
Bob G
Old 09-19-2007, 05:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bob,great to see you got a Magnum.Once you get everything out of the way its just not that hard to build in the new stringers.I will post some info. and measurments later today on how i did it on Vixen.
Old 09-19-2007, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Default Stringers

Bob heres a sketch of how i did Vixen.If this works i can ansewer anything about the sketch you might want tn know.The sketch on the right is the best.It showes how i built the stringers.I used 2 pcs.3 forths water proof ply.glued an srewed together to give me 1an half inch stringer.I gassed this to the transom an the bottom of the boat 33 inches apart because i was going to use a 32 inch Merc. racing mount.In the front i put 3 half inch ply between the old stringer and the new an between the 2 new stringers to give those new str.more support.This should give you some idea how i did it.We took some bad hits out there and nothing ever broke in the eng.compartment.
Attached Thumbnails Twin to Single, Stringer Question-stringers-006.jpg   Twin to Single, Stringer Question-stringers-007.jpg  

Last edited by Mag27; 09-19-2007 at 09:14 AM. Reason: needed more inf.
Old 09-19-2007, 09:59 AM
Registered

Thumbs up

Hey Bob,
Is that your gutted white Magnum with exposed fiberglass fairing that was sitting street side on it's trailer with the yellow Sunsation backed up to the house? The reason I ask is b/c my aunt owns a home on the same street as you & I admired your boats in passing. Best of luck with the project!!
Dan
Old 09-19-2007, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Mel,
Thanks for the GREAT INFO!!! A couple more quick questions: did you cut the center stringer completely down (under the engine) Also, did you increase the transom thickness between the new stringers?? ps I'm actually in Ft. Myers now on a mini vacation! Again thanks for the valuable information!!
Dan,
Yes that is my Sunsation and "new to me" Magnum. Stop by and introduce yourself-I'll be putting in alot of time on the Mag when I get back from vacation.

Bob G.
Old 09-20-2007, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Bob,glad i could help.I didnt increase the trans. between the stringers because i didnt think it needed it with all the rear whgt.of the eng on the transom ass. and not on the stringer.I did in the front because most of whgt was on that front mount. After i boxed it in with the 1/2 ply over the top it made it like a tank,and made it very easy to sit on to work on the eng.I cut the center stringer flush at the trans.and as close to floor as i could get it with a saber saw,i think about 1inch.If your in Ft. Myers give me a call at 454-3002 an come over an check it out,i got the old gal inside tell after the storm season is over anyway.
Old 09-21-2007, 06:49 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

The only thing i did different was i added a couple of short pieces between the two tall stringers and the short center one.....Mels is laid out the same as mine.....

if ya need better pics or info let me know ......these pics are mid way through the painting and rigging.....
Attached Thumbnails Twin to Single, Stringer Question-magnum-091.jpg   Twin to Single, Stringer Question-magnum-081.jpg  
Old 09-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 53 Likes on 28 Posts

Tip :

Friend of mine has worked for Skater for years and this is how he does stringers.

Rather than screwing and glueing..............He brushes a wet coat of your resin on each face of the board, then lay's one layer of glass on that wet face and wets that out.

Know put your other wet board on and screw it to the mate.

He usaully has nice table that he clamps alll his work to so it keeps flat. Now you have a laminated stringer with Glass in the middle.

Once they are cured he cuts them to size and then routers the top edges so your glass wraps over nice when you start your lay up in the boat.

Jon
Old 10-09-2007, 08:07 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I did that same thing on my 27 sedan!!! what a job!!! i left 3 inchs on the center stringer,good luck tripps