Notices

74 Maltese

Old 01-18-2013, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The album has been updated. the transom is in, the stringers are in, other small stuff taken care of. Next on the fiberglass list is to redo the floor panel over the fuel tanks. Man this job is moving so slow it's almost like working for the government. I have faith tho, took me 8 years to get the excalibur done, 4 years to get the Sidewinder done. Hopefully now things are moving on tthe Magnum not too much longer.
Old 01-23-2013, 10:13 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

I happened to be looking over at some of my Magnum pic's from Florida @ Magnum around 1973, and I saw this Maltese, could this be yours ????
Attached Thumbnails 74 Maltese-mag-maltese-1973-races-hi-mi-boats.jpg  
Old 01-24-2013, 08:08 AM
Registered

h2o, There were no signs of any race #'s or names on the side of the hull when I sanded the black off. Once down to the orange I could see clearly the old Il. registration numbers. No sign of the offset stripe either. No unexplained screw holes where they had the throttle pod mounted on the race boat. Last but not least screw hole still in the floor panel for the original pedistal mount seats. Would love to find out that this boat had some racing history. At this point I will be happy to know for sure that it was #1 out of the mold.
Tom
Old 01-24-2013, 09:11 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 74 Magnum Maltese

Both of the Magnums in Question are 1974's.Toms came out of Chicago and mine came out of the west coast.We will keep looking if Tom's is truly # 1/ Bud
Old 01-24-2013, 11:23 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 54 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by TMITCHELL
h2o, There were no signs of any race #'s or names on the side of the hull when I sanded the black off. Once down to the orange I could see clearly the old Il. registration numbers. No sign of the offset stripe either. No unexplained screw holes where they had the throttle pod mounted on the race boat. Last but not least screw hole still in the floor panel for the original pedistal mount seats. Would love to find out that this boat had some racing history. At this point I will be happy to know for sure that it was #1 out of the mold.
Tom
If your hull is #1 the one listed as #1 is Tangerine in color & may be yours. This one has a invoice date of 7/17/75. That may explain why no race evidence of a race boat, as my pic is from around December of 1973. You can see there are two Maltese's in that pic from 1973. Magnum may have raced there first Maltese, then rehabbed it back to stock & sold it in 1975 ???
As a side note hull # 5 was this White Maltese that was raced as DAMN YANKEE out of Emerald City. It too had a 1975 invoice date & was sold as a race boat, yet that pic is from 1974. From what I heard Magnum wanted these early Maltese's out there racing to boost there sales as a race boat & a Mag with a useable cabin.. Mark
Attached Thumbnails 74 Maltese-maltese-build-sheet.jpg   74 Maltese-m-damn-yankee.jpg  
Old 01-24-2013, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Mark...haven't seen that pic of the orange Maltese. You're still 'holdin' out'....

Let's see all your pics!...
Old 01-25-2013, 08:36 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Magnum # 1

Mark,that makes a lot of sense...I just want to talk to some one who was around in 74/75. Bud
Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
Registered

If we can find out for sure if Flagship used volvo stern drives would be a big step in the right direction. As Bud said, trying to find out from some body that was there.
Mark, what you are saying does make sense. Would love to have that proven. That would also clear up some mysteries. 2 compass holes, on the side next to where the windshield would mount (flat surface 90 degrees to windshiel) there are 2 holes drilled at an angle. Placement and angle leads me to believe that they were for trim indicators. the flat plate type, where the cable end was the pointer. Being an ex racer would also lend itself to reason for all of the holes in the transom. Volvo drives with the "custom" hydraulic trim system, It appears to have had early K planes, external dual ram steering and all of these had external hoses and cables.
Old 01-25-2013, 01:19 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by h2oboater
I happened to be looking over at some of my Magnum pic's from Florida @ Magnum around 1973, and I saw this Maltese, could this be yours ????
I wonder if that's my Maltese next to this one. Mine is that color and has that exact cover.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:57 PM
Registered

BBJ, is yours a blue and white Maltese?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.