Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Magnum Marine
Got my Maggie!!  Long term build thread intro... >

Got my Maggie!! Long term build thread intro...

Notices

Got my Maggie!! Long term build thread intro...

Old 08-02-2014, 07:50 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
my dad worked at Venice Marina in the late 60's ,early 70's. I was only 8 or 9 yrs old ,but still remember getting to go deliver Magnums and Donzis by water to the customers that would store them for the winter. I never got it out of my system . We moved to S. Florida in '73 and always had an 18 Donzii in the driveway . When I could finally afford it, I bought my 28 Maltese and went racing!.My dad worked for Sonny Miller and Bob Saccenti rigging boats so I spent my summers sorting nuts and bolts and going for rides on all the old race boats they would prep.I miss the good old days!!!!
Ha! We moved to Ft Lauderdale in 73 and my dad worked rigging Wellcraft Novas at Everglades Marine he left in early 75 when he got a job working for Broward County maintaining the Crash trucks at Ft.Lauderdale International Airport. I remember him borrowing a demo 74 yellow and white Nova and we went to Bimini for the weekend a few times. I've had a 79 Nova and sold it, but have been wanting a Magnum for years. Seeing as how I'm also a died in the wool Mopar guy this boat was a natural.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Registered

I got the outdrives off!! Damn salt water and lack of maintenance suck!!

And the transom has a nice solid drum to it everywhere!!

I'll get a shot of the drive tomorrow, I literally had to cut the suspension fork to get it off as the pivot pin retaining bolts would just not budge, Aerokroil, heat, manual Impact tool... Then I had to brace the boat and use my forklift to get the spud shaft out of the yoke at the transom. It was practically welded on with rust. What a shame since the inside of the drives look to be in good working order. Anyone ever swap gearsets on Volvo lowers? I have a line on 2 6 cyl Volvo 270s that are mint and the price is right. As far as I know the only difference is the gear ratio, or have I been misinformed?

Last edited by murfman; 08-04-2014 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 06:19 PM
Registered

Old 08-04-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PARASAIL941
my dad worked at Venice Marina in the late 60's ,early 70's. I was only 8 or 9 yrs old ,but still remember getting to go deliver Magnums and Donzis by water to the customers that would store them for the winter. I never got it out of my system . We moved to S. Florida in '73 and always had an 18 Donzii in the driveway . When I could finally afford it, I bought my 28 Maltese and went racing!.My dad worked for Sonny Miller and Bob Saccenti rigging boats so I spent my summers sorting nuts and bolts and going for rides on all the old race boats they would prep.I miss the good old days!!!!

Where exactly was Venice Marina? That's where my boat came from. Could you post some pics of your boat?

Jeff
Old 08-04-2014, 09:52 AM
Registered

Venice Marina is in Brooklyn NY.
Old 08-04-2014, 04:14 PM
Registered

I'm 1/2 way there!! I bought a Volvo SP A outdrive and complete transom assy today, I am picking it up tomorrow. I know I have to enlarge the transom cutout for this drive, but the built in Trim is worth the effort at this point. I won't know for sure about the transom until I get the engines pulled and the old transom plates off anyway. It sounds great, but I imagine after 42 years there would have to be some issues back there, especially considering the shape of the drives themselves.
Old 08-04-2014, 05:53 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

My dad loved Chryslers in Magnums, especially 440's in the big 35 Magnums. He said those motors were the only things that would make them move! Your 27 should move along pretty good with some stout 360's. Not to hijack ,but here are a few pics of mine!
Old 08-04-2014, 07:08 PM
Registered

Wow! That is a sharp looking boat! I was assuming it had 318s or 340s now that I know they are already 360s I may just freshen them up for now and build a pair of 408s for after I get her wet and all the bugs worked out.

If I end up raising the X would there be a problem if I also moved the engines further apart by 3" or so? It just seems it would be much easier for service, access to the plugs, port motor oil filter etc..
Old 08-04-2014, 09:28 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"If I end up raising the X would there be a problem if I also moved the engines further apart by 3" or so? It just seems it would be much easier for service, access to the plugs, port motor oil filter etc.."

If you do decide to change the X dimension it would be a very good idea to move the engines outboard. Most modern exhaust manifolds are wider than the old ones and can cause headaches. It would also make changing spark plugs a lot easier. Ideally, if you had your engines and exhaust manifolds on hand you could get accurate total width measurements to be sure you can still access things on the outboard sides of the engines as well as the inboard sides. With the available propellers these days you can go pretty high with the X dimension but you may also have to consider having to cut holes in the engine hatch for clearance. Good luck...
Old 08-04-2014, 10:00 PM
Registered

Are there any down sides to moving the engines further apart? (within reason) I'm talking 3-5 " total.

The way the engine hatch is recessed in the hull on the sedan, I can raise it 3 " and it would be flush with the top of the transom, obviously the cushion would be on top of that, but i don't see that as a problem.

The bulkhead at the front of the engine compartment is tabbed in, would it affect the strength of the hull drastically if I were to cut it out and make it removable for engine servicing? It doesn't look to be structural as its not very rigid in the center. It would mean that I would have to relocate come wiring and the fuel filters, but it would sure be nice for maintenance and service.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.