Notices

Mad Mother

Old 11-24-2014, 08:23 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 151 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast Shafts
Scippy (Pete),
The boat will be rigged with single 540 cubic inch BBC, not sure about the HP, but I'm guessing 625-assuming it is coming out of his other boat.
How is your boat coming along? You'll have to update rebuild on line.
Bob
'
Bob.......I just got done fabricating a solid windscreen for the sport (Mario sent me a template of his we both share the same V deck designed 27' sport) it came out really nice just need to spray gelcoat will post pictures soon..........still pushing back the rigging choice of whether to drop in twins or single power until all structural and cosmetic work is done............to date, new transom & all new stringers- 2 new 65 gal fuel tanks with new cabin floor- dropped the cockpit sole by 4" and replaced the floor as well..........even fabricated new engine hatch. All the hardware has been located & re-chromed.............power next, but still uncertain.
Old 12-10-2014, 09:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Back on track.

Generated some interest in the sale of the Mad Mother but nothing worth letting her go. Caught the fever again thank god. Back on track.

I followed the boat from when it became LA Express to present. Mike always put together nice race boats and he was my neighbor so it had my attention. When it was raced as Cheap Thrills I was racing my own boats and my focus was preparing for the race. I never had time to study the other boats in the pits much. I remember seeing the name Cheap Thrills often at our local GLOPRA races but it was just another boat. Life works in mysterious ways. Now the boat waits in my shop for another chance.

I spend a lot of time when reworking a boat thinking about its past. A boat like this one has a story and no one will probably be around long enough to see all the chapters. The day it was bought, The Mad Mother Team, The Cheap Thrills Team, The LA Express Team that ran it against some of the best, The past fifteen years where it went from yard to shop to rack to marina. It makes me wonder how many of these people are still alive that couldn't wait to see it run on the weekend.;

As time goes on the threads on this forum are slowing down. The pictures and stories about the history of the boats and owners are far and few between. The history of the boats are being lost in time. I surf through the threads of this boat and read how many times people have asked about this boat and it;s history and the only guy that knows anything is H2O and a few pictures. You can only hope that the pictures are not ending up in the dump as the boats get new lives and our lives get old.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:54 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by legend
Generated some interest in the sale of the Mad Mother but nothing worth letting her go. Caught the fever again thank god. Back on track.

I followed the boat from when it became LA Express to present. Mike always put together nice race boats and he was my neighbor so it had my attention. When it was raced as Cheap Thrills I was racing my own boats and my focus was preparing for the race. I never had time to study the other boats in the pits much. I remember seeing the name Cheap Thrills often at our local GLOPRA races but it was just another boat. Life works in mysterious ways. Now the boat waits in my shop for another chance.

I spend a lot of time when reworking a boat thinking about its past. A boat like this one has a story and no one will probably be around long enough to see all the chapters. The day it was bought, The Mad Mother Team, The Cheap Thrills Team, The LA Express Team that ran it against some of the best, The past fifteen years where it went from yard to shop to rack to marina. It makes me wonder how many of these people are still alive that couldn't wait to see it run on the weekend.;

As time goes on the threads on this forum are slowing down. The pictures and stories about the history of the boats and owners are far and few between. The history of the boats are being lost in time. I surf through the threads of this boat and read how many times people have asked about this boat and it;s history and the only guy that knows anything is H2O and a few pictures. You can only hope that the pictures are not ending up in the dump as the boats get new lives and our lives get old.
Glad your back on track!.........It is a sad but true statement that time has not been kind to the era of 60's & 70's old skool race boats. The winning pedegree of those hulls and the achievments they recorded often times does not bring the monetary value they deserve!......Sadly, the appreciation for old skool anything right now is solely into cars!......."How much is my car worth" - "Wheeler dealers" - "Overhauled" - "chassing classic cars" - "classic car rescue" - "garage squad" - "south beach classics" on and on!!........Glad there are people like Mark (H20) who shares alot in (pictures) and remembers some of the more interesting times of the race boats and racers who raced them ..........If you restore her you help keep a great example of the past alive............there's not too many left!!!

Last edited by scippy; 12-11-2014 at 01:04 AM.
Old 12-11-2014, 04:50 PM
Registered

Your so right Scippy. When we allow these boats into our lives it cant be about the money. They are priceless. Its our addiction of choice to make us happy. I would keep them all if it where not for space in the shop and down payment for the next fix (Project).

I have said it before but this will be my last. I think I can honestly say this. In the past I was always in a rush to get them done. This one is different. I am content some nights not grinding on the glass and just studying every inch of the boat and tipping a few.

If anyone has a story, detail about this boats past or a picture that was found It would be appreciated.
Old 12-11-2014, 06:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by legend
Your so right Scippy. When we allow these boats into our lives it cant be about the money. They are priceless. Its our addiction of choice to make us happy. I would keep them all if it where not for space in the shop and down payment for the next fix (Project).

I have said it before but this will be my last. I think I can honestly say this. In the past I was always in a rush to get them done. This one is different. I am content some nights not grinding on the glass and just studying every inch of the boat and tipping a few.

If anyone has a story, detail about this boats past or a picture that was found It would be appreciated.
My 27 sport does not have any racing pedegree that I know of (hull #341) but I'm still so thrilled at the fact that here's a signifgant hull design that has inspired so many different adaptations through the years from this one singular hull design and I posess one!.......Forgetaboutit !!!........if it were also a winning race boat!!!
Old 12-20-2014, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hello guys , sorry for the question, but anyone of you know a mag 27 starfire for sale in usa ?, i was vary close to buy the last one free in italy , but..... , know i ' m searching for one on sale around the world, who can help me?
regards.
JANAIRO
Old 01-03-2015, 03:39 PM
Registered

Default Work Update Pic's

Spent Christmas putting in heat in shop. Primed fairing and transom for finish sanding. Nice to have heat.
Attached Thumbnails Mad Mother-img_1509.jpg   Mad Mother-img_1505.jpg   Mad Mother-img_1506.jpg  

Mad Mother-img_1507.jpg  
Old 01-03-2015, 07:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Nice!!.........no hibernation for the MM ...with heat now full speed ahead!......keep the pictures coming!
What is MM's hin #..........I have a '76 also production #341 Scippy
Old 12-02-2016, 07:53 AM
Registered

Progress[ATTACH=CONFIG]562307[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Mad Mother-img_20161128_174122.jpg  
Old 12-02-2016, 07:55 AM
Registered

Glassed in bow[ATTACH=CONFIG]562308[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails Mad Mother-img_20161129_063942.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.