Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Multi Media Gallery > Members On-line Video Section!!
sick engine room explosion- HD Miss GEICO onboard >

sick engine room explosion- HD Miss GEICO onboard

Notices

sick engine room explosion- HD Miss GEICO onboard

Old 04-14-2014, 03:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There have been threads in OSO in the past asking about running a scatter shield on their drive shafts. That video answers that question. Sorry to see that kind of failure for you guys!!!
Old 04-14-2014, 03:25 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by SummerObsession
The tires and/or clutch is slipping until the point at which force=available traction on those cars. Not much (relative) slippage in boats, different animal.
Your kidding right? There are still more "g's" placed on the pro/stock, pro/mod drive shafts during a hole shot than anything a boat puts on it's drive shaft.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:42 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Lift the pro stock up, spin the car to 5000 rpm and drop it back on the track, over and over again
H'mmm off the line on the rev limiter, 4 shifts at 10,600 RPM. Your right.........walk in the park. Hey, don't misunderstand me I am a boat guy. I understand the in and out of the water, how a boat is under load ALL the time. I get it. I'm just sayin'. I think the SFI spec on a pro/stock, pro/mod drive shaft is probably pretty stout. I would be willing to bet the minimum specs that have been established by SFI probably are higher than whatever drive shaft has been used for boating purposes.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 36 Likes on 10 Posts

Thanks for sharing the video. Pretty amazing to see. I wish I had video of my engine compartment when things blow up.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

From what I have seen of marine driveshaft guards, they are more to protect the driveshaft from damage then to protect the boat from driveshaft failure.
Old 04-14-2014, 03:52 PM
Racer
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much does a pro stock car weigh? 2300 lbs? We were probably 13,500 lbs fully fueled for an 85 mile race. Our scatter shields clearly did not hold up as we had hoped to this particular failure. and they were strong. We drive our props deep on an acceleration run for maximum bite.

Glad you liked the vid. Makes you wonder what would have happened if there was no shield at all.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Registered

You are correct. A Pro/Stock car weighs 2350 with the driver. I didn't intend to do "battle" here. It just seems to me that SFI specs must have some sort of shear numbers to them. That number is a number regardless of weight I would think. Again I asked the question originally if the drive shaft was anything special? I guess my point was/is up until now has anybody got a clue what the numbers are on the piece you used. You can easily find the NHRA SFI spec to compare to. BTW same thing with the shield. NHRA has had SFI specs for years on the shields. Nitro cars blow up clutches and the pieces are contained.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:08 PM
Registered

I'm not trying to start a fight. I'm trying to be helpful and keep you safe. I could be all wrong. Certainly wouldn't be the first time. Here is a link to one of the drive shaft companies some NHRA guys use. http://www.iedls.com/Driveshafts/Cus...riveshafts.asp Why not just compare the strength of theirs to the strength of what the boat industry has been using.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:18 PM
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I would think the loading on a prostock driveshaft and a boats is not even close... The repeated shock loading on a boats driveshaft would be much more substantial over a period of time compared to any of the loading on a cars.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

im not an engineer but i would venture to say that the load put on the pro mod car for a 6 second run is tremendous,now put that strain on the shaft 340 times.that is what the drideline in the geico boat sees in 1 race weekend.i will agree that nhra is very pro active with safety and that is part of the SFI certification rules.i would bet my last dollar that the geico boat will have a better containment device on the driveline before the boat is raced again.i would say that the geico team is smart for placing a camera on those drivelines&other parts in the bilge and all the teams will benifit from what they learned.THANKS FOR POSTING THE VIDEO TEAM GEICO.they are a class act from start to finish.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.